HVAC blower motor not working

Hawkeyes

Common issue I know.....
1. Replaced the resistor pack - ( Previous one was not working)
2. Replaced speed selector switch ( previous one did have heat damage)
3. Checked all fuses.
4. There is power at the plug that feeds the fan motor.
5. Fan does not turn ....
6. HOWEVER if I remove the fan , and apply 12v direct it turns....

:unsure: Auto electrician says the motor is screwed ....can this be......

It sounds like your blower motor is pretty worn out and cannot turn when mounted in place…
Are you sure there is nothing in the HVAC box restricting the cage blade from turning? A bunch of leaves and/or debris?
Probably not, but worth a look…

As these blower motors age they draw more current which then fries things like resistors and switches. You found that out, replaced the resistor and switch, now replace the blower motor and you should be good to go.

It sounds like your blower motor is pretty worn out and cannot turn when mounted in place…
Are you sure there is nothing in the HVAC box restricting the cage blade from turning? A bunch of leaves and/or debris?
Probably not, but worth a look…

The vehicle has 100k miles on the clock, yet still in pristine condition except for normal wear and tear on linkages, weel bearings, shocks etc etc , I guess the blower motor is worn, we run the aircon more than in most countries, have also ordered a new one....

Reactions: MichaelGH
At this point mileage is irrelevant. Your Jeep is 20ish years old. Rubber parts get hard. Wire gets corrosion. Plastic gets crumbly.

Blower motor is pretty easy to get to.

-Mac

I have done all of the above, and replaced the blower motor. I am perplexed.....

Did you replace the fuse with a known good one? I have pulled fuses that look good, only to install a different fuse and the circuit then works.

I’d also check the wiring right at the fuse box. It could be comprised. Just like your speed selector switch was.