Hydro Assist Install

TheRock

Supporting Member
Weekend before last I installed Black Magic's Nearly Bolt-in Hydro Assist for Currie Steering. I also switched out the tie rod for BM 4340 tie rod. First I'd like to make it abundantly clear that I am not blaming Blaine's kit or tie rod. The install seemed to go pretty smooth. After everything was done and I was confident I got all the air our of the newly installed system I drove the Jeep around the neighborhood. Everything seemed to feel and sound good. Then I ventured outside of the neighborhood and everything still seemed good until I hit a bump and OH SHIT!!!! DEATH WOBBLE!! I had read about it, but I had never experienced it, but I immediately had no doubt what I was experiencing. I got back home and checked over my install. I did find that the draglink seemed a little bit loose so I tightened that up. That helped the slightest bit, but the DW is definitely still present. I'm pretty handy with a wrench. I put the a long arm kit, CV axles, SYE kit, BM Big Brake Kit, 35s, etc. on the Jeep last October and did a driveway alignment with the guidance of folks from this forum. No vibrations and no DW, Jeep drove great. I say all that to say I've done a bit to this Jeep and managed to steer clear (pun intended) of the DW issue until doing this Hydro Assist install. Could it be coincidence or is there something I could have screwed up on the install the other weekend that I should be looking at? Thanks fellas!

Have you done the dry steering test with the new parts installed?

I’m assuming the tires didn’t change due to the install.

Something is likely loose or out of alignment.

The new PSC steering gear tightens up the front end, which has the potential to allow death wobble where it wasn't before as a result of the system no longer being able to soak up an existing tire imbalance.

Reactions: SvtLdr
The new PSC steering gear tightens up the front end, which has the potential to allow death wobble where it wasn't before as a result of the system no longer being able to soak up an existing tire imbalance.

Mine’s still smooth as can be and I’ve never had my tires balanced.

Reactions: TheRock

That was my first thought too. Just didn't have any hard evidence.

Yes same tires as before the install. Dry steering test?

Steering test. Engine running, turn the steering wheel between 10-2ish repeatedly, while someone holds each bolted connection in the steering and suspension to look and feel for movement that shouldn't be there.

Reactions: SvtLdr
I don’t know for sure if the tires are balanced, they get banged up in the rocks a bit, but I expect they should still be balanced. Part of the reason I did the hydro assist install was I felt the gear box had some slop in it. I figured an abused 20 year old gear box, it was somewhat to be expected. So instead of just replacing with a new one, I upgraded at the same time.

I have not done that. Guess I need to find a buddy to crank on the steering wheel for me.

Look and feel for any light clicks, slips, or thuds. I've helped several do this and those often get missed because it is assumed the problems are dramatic. Things that get missed have been loose track bars and pitman arms.

Reactions: Apparition
I don’t know for sure if the tires are balanced, they get banged up in the rocks a bit, but I expect they should still be balanced. Part of the reason I did the hydro assist install was I felt the gear box had some slop in it. I figured an abused 20 year old gear box, it was somewhat to be expected. So instead of just replacing with a new one, I upgraded at the same time.

Does the reflection in the rearview mirror get buzzy at higher speeds? Do you feel vibrations that begin on the highway and seem to fade away and return during long sweeping turns? Those are indications of tire imbalance.

At higher speeds 55-75 the Jeep seems to drive very well, much like before. No buzzy rearview mirror. No vibrations at highway speeds. The DW seems to only happen around 35-40 mph and seems to be only when the passenger tire hits a serious bump or patch of rough road.

By death wobble, you mean the front is violently and uncontrollably shaking and the only way to stop it is to slow down, correct?

At higher speeds 55-75 the Jeep seems to drive very well, much like before. No buzzy rearview mirror. No vibrations at highway speeds. The DW seems to only happen around 35-40 mph and seems to be only when the passenger tire hits a serious bump or patch of rough road.

the time I had it, similar conditions and it was the frame side track bar mount.