Hypothetical question

GorillaBiscuit

TJ Enthusiast
Hey guys, I had a hypothetical question and I just I'd post it for craps and giggles.
What if you found a nice 2005 LJR with 50k miles on it, and you also found a nice 2014 JK Unlimited Rubicon with 65k miles for the same price? Would anybody be tempted by the 2014 JKU Rubicon? I'm thinking that since I'm on a TJ forum most everyone will say LJR, but I just thought it would be interesting to ask.

Hey guys, I had a hypothetical question and I just I'd post it for craps and giggles.
What if you found a nice 2005 LJR with 50k miles on it, and you also found a nice 2014 JK Unlimited Rubicon with 65k miles for the same price? Would anybody be tempted by the 2014 JKU Rubicon? I'm thinking that since I'm on a TJ forum most everyone will say LJR, but I just thought it would be interesting to ask.

Easy for me, the LJR, I already have a 2017 JKU Hard Rock

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Alex01 and Kiwi TJ
LJR....

Apart from it just looking better ....if the JKU was the same price I'd be worried what's wrong with it haha

Reactions: DrDmoney
Drive by wire V6 is a bad joke on the trail for me. Drive for yourself and see if you like it. It's a bit like asking if you like the color blue.

I'd only be tempted if the JKU had minus 2 doors.

I really can't get behind the 4-door look personally.

I've never looked at the Wrangler as being a replacement for a "family" vehicle, hence my dislike for the 4-doors. Yes, you get a bit more room, but I've never found myself needing it.

Reactions: Sam Solo
The more I think about it the more I think it depends on your situation.

Both are Rubicons, so I’m assuming you want to off-road.

Do you have a 5 person family? Or 2?

Are you interested in overlanding or crawling? What terrain?

Long trips or short? Hauling or driving to destination?

Build and work on it yourself or have it built and maintained by others?

Is it an investment rig or not?

Reactions: DrDmoney and Chris
Well, I don't like JKUs because like Chris, I just don't think it looks right with 4 doors. However, I'm not huge on LJs either since I like the shorter length of a regular ol' TJ. If I *had* to choose between the two, I'd go LJR because a 4 door Jeep just doesn't look like a Jeep to me at all.

Another vote for the LJ. It's the 4 door thing. If it was a 2 door JK I would wrestle with my soul for a bit, then convince myself I bought the JK because (enter name. The dog, wife, half step brother on my dead uncle's side) forced my decision against my better judgment. Then I would get in and enjoy the HVAC and cushy seats. Unless someone else is with me. Then I'd trash talk it.