I’m just gonna say it, Detroit lockers suck

never monday

TJ Addict
There ya go.....
It’s the worst locker you could pick for a REAR AXLE application.
Sure it’s cheap, strong and easy. But the negatives outweigh the positives by a large margin.

On the street, even the “new” soft locker has quirks that need to be adapted to so it’s not like driving your truck like it was before the install. Learning to drive around the “features” does not make it invisible.
We’ve all seen the warnings about driving in snow and ice with auto lockers. It’s true, a locked rear axle will not turn, and will cause the front axle to have less steering authority, increasing understeer.
This same tendency to push the front of the truck around hampers off road performance by increasing turning radius.

A selectable should be the only choice for a rear axle.
This allows the NON-steering axle to steer by allowing the wheels to turn at different speed and different radi.

Discuss

For my purposes, (trail rig and drive around town) I've found the Detroit in the rear to be quirky on the road. Off road, I've loved every second of it. I came from an ARB in the rear and I'm very happy with the Detroit. Problem free and I don't have remember to turn it on. If this was a daily, my opinion may be different

Reactions: BlackSheep
I agree. The only experience I have with a rear auto locker was my old Bronco and it really got on my nerves after awhile. When the time comes for me to install true lockers, I’ll be going with an Eaton E-locker in the rear and a Powertrax no slip up front.

I have a Detroit in the rear and I don’t think it’s that bad at all. I’ve had it with both manual and auto trans and it’s definitely better paired with an auto trans. With the manual I would hear more clunks as the slack was taken out of the driveline at times.
With the the auto the driveline is always under tension so it really does feel “invisible” to me now.

I don't usually notice my rear on pavement. I got a little sideways on the highway last month on some black ice, but considering the number of stock jeeps, trucks, SUVs and FWD cars off the side of the road, I'm not sure I'd have fared any better open. I understand it's not for the snow, but I don't plan on moving anywhere snowier than where I live now... where we have a two-year total accumulation of... approximately zero. Most snow I see is a couple of weekend trips to PA during the winter.

I really only notice it when steering full lock on pavement. I've been told I lift the driver tire about a foot off the ground when pulling a tight u-turn. Probably not the best to treat this thing like a stadium super truck, but damn does it feel cool to do that.

Reactions: Sj's TJ
There are as many opinions about which locker is best for poor road conditions. I think all would agree that a fully selective locker is the best answer to 99% of any driving condition. But, if the choice is only a limited slip or an open diff on snowy, icy roads, then the limited slip is a better choice in my opinion.
If it takes a few more months to save enough money for a selectable diff then it is worth the wait to me.

Would a TruTrac be better out back when the snow flys?
I used to have a rubicon rear end with factory LSD when unlocked and a front Truetrac. I could not get that thing to budge on snowy roads. A couple of inches on pavement and in 4wd, I didn't even notice it was there, or that I was on snow. Ice, probably a different story, but I was very happy with the TT road manners. I used to drive it stock (open/open) in northern Arizona where we got quick bouts of heavy storms, and I much preferred the TT to that, although living in VA I got much less snow experience with the TT (like in the post I made above, mainly just on weekend trips north).

Would a TruTrac be better out back when the snow flys?
If you spend a significant amount of time on road in winter conditions, I would choose a TT over an auto locker in the rear hands down (selectable rear locker being ideal). With that said, off-road there is no comparison between a TT and a true locker.

Reactions: IrishWake
Autolocked front and rear, detroit and spartan. Live where it snows. No complaints, I used to daily it and didn't mind it and could daily again without minding. As far as off road and them hampering performance I guess the turning thing can suck but line choice plays into that too. I have no complaints of them hampering me on the con, fordyce, etc.

Reactions: BlackSheep
I run a Detroit locker in the rear of my ‘98 XJ C8.25 and an ARB in the front with no problems. You get accustomed to the ticks and load/unloading when making turns with a manual transmission, but has terrible road manners on the highway in the snow.
The ‘01 TJ has a Dana 35 so I would not install a Detroit locker in that differential under any circumstances. When I upgraded the gears a couple months ago I had TT installed which has better performance when driving on the highway in the snow and does well on the moderate trails.

I can steer mine with it unlocked.
The axle has the abilty to steer due to it’s outer knuckles and linkage design.

driving with a front selectable in the lock position is the same as an autolocker. EXCEPT, an auto has the ability to ratchet when it is not being powered by the driveshaft.

You get accustomed to the ticks and load/unloading when making turns
Thats a compromise you accept. Some dont and the option is available not to.

my point is to inform people who are trying to decide which locker they should choose. A Detroit (or any auto-locker) for the rear is the worst choice possible.

Had a CJ with a Detroit in the rear. On dry roads it was quirky, but not a real problem. Off road it was great. On snowy roads - watch out, it was downright scary.

Reactions: HardSell