I-6 coming back to Jeep!

It amazes me how such a primitive vehicle cannot operate without the computer, and with the lack of support now for the computer, how long until the TJs are relegated as relics?
I don't know what rock you've been living under but you'll run out of money to buy computers from Mark at Wranglerfix long before he runs out of computers.

Reactions: Zorba
I don't know what rock you've been living under but you'll run out of money to buy computers from Mark at Wranglerfix long before he runs out of computers.
They are still a limited item, and unless someone starts building custom boxes that can connect in place of, the supply will eventually dry up.

Back on the Hurricane, I wonder if it will be offered as a crate system to install in other vehicles...

Reactions: reddvltj
Steel. It's a plasma arc melting a steel wire and spraying it onto the cylinder where the impact velocity flattens the droplets at the very instant they solidify. It was invented in 2009 and Ford was the first to use it.
Thank you for reaching me something. Now another question. How much can the cylinder be bored or if at all?

They are still a limited item, and unless someone starts building custom boxes that can connect in place of, the supply will eventually dry up.

Back on the Hurricane, I wonder if it will be offered as a crate system to install in other vehicles...
There are far more computers that can used in the TJ than there are TJ's.

Too big, touchscreen in dash, too much "technology".

the JL or the Bronco?

I'm talking 2040 here, so by that point the touchscreen and the tech will feel like the TJ does today in comparison to what will be available. And if I'm going the distance of swapping a Coyote into a Bronco, it wouldn't be that much more to rip out the harness and swap it for a Painless setup with a harness and switches fit for a 60s era muscle car.

Reactions: Artsifrtsi
Thank you for reaching me something. Now another question. How much can the cylinder be bored or if at all?

I would be shocked if it was more than .010", if any at all. I didn't come across what the thicknesses were but the way it's described seems pretty thin. It sounds as though the resulting surface is quite hard and wear-resistant, but when it does wear to the point that a bore would be necessary, it's probably time for a replacement block or maybe by that time the process will be available in the aftermarket.

To be transparent, what I understand of this process is only because I googled it after I read the original article and read a little more.

Reactions: 5632 and Artsifrtsi
I would be shocked if it was more than .010", if any at all. I didn't come across what the thicknesses were but the way it's described seems pretty thin. It sounds as though the resulting surface is quite hard and wear-resistant, but when it does wear to the point that a bore would be necessary, it's probably time for a replacement block or maybe by that time the process will be available in the aftermarket.

To be transparent, what I understand of this process is only because I googled it after I read the original article and read a little more.
That's what I gather as well. If they can get the life to 250k miles or better, it really doesn't matter at that point. Another thing to consider, is what is the percentage of engines being rebuilt/replaced currently in TJs?

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
That's what I gather as well. If they can get the life to 250k miles or better, it really doesn't matter at that point. Another thing to consider, is what is the percentage of engines being rebuilt/replaced currently in TJs?

agree. It certainly doesn't seem to be very many. Once TJ's are 50 years old it'll probably be happening a lot more. So if they're getting normal cylinder life with this coating, the few of them still hanging around by 2075 may be having to scour salvage yards for blocks out of wrecked Jeeps to keep their 2025 "classics" running. Or they'll be able to order a replacement 3D printed crate motor on Amazon and have it dropped off same day via drone. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Artsifrtsi
the JL or the Bronco?

I'm talking 2040 here, so by that point the touchscreen and the tech will feel like the TJ does today in comparison to what will be available. And if I'm going the distance of swapping a Coyote into a Bronco, it wouldn't be that much more to rip out the harness and swap it for a Painless setup with a harness and switches fit for a 60s era muscle car.
2040? The tech will have long since crapped out and be unrepairable and unreplaceable at any price.

I'd burn it to the ground before I would ever put a fucking toilet on a computer controlled TJ.
When the computer isn't available or repairable at any price, a carb would be a good option. Not saying it would be "better" per se, but workable.

In 2040 it will probably be illegal to drive our Jeeps anyway with the rate things are going.

I think it's neat to have an i-6 back in a Jeep for the low end torque. The V6 engines are just gutless down low, zero low end torque. The 3.6L feels like a 4 cylinder until it gets above 5,000 RPM.

I've driven several BMW N54/N55 engines which are also 3.0L turbo i-6 engines. Very nice torque curve and lots of tuning potential.

Looking at this engine I'm sure it will be a complete bitch to work on, but what new vehicle isn't? Most new cars have 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag,

I've built turbo motors and heat is the killer. Being in muck up to the axles or slugging up a hill in 90 degree heat would scare me.
I will keep the old 4.0 hammer vs the turbo sewing machine. And I love my turbo cars.

I think it's neat to have an i-6 back in a Jeep for the low end torque. The V6 engines are just gutless down low, zero low end torque. The 3.6L feels like a 4 cylinder until it gets above 5,000 RPM.

That's the truth. I've had a couple of JL rentals... Didn't notice it on the highway but on a trail with a decent climb they were gutless until I got the revs up. Had to drive it quite a bit differently than I do the TJ.