I do not want to be a parts collector

bmcgc

TJ Enthusiast
Backstory. I live in a 55+ HOA. No vehicle maintenance allowed in the driveway or yard, garage only. I had my garage built an extra 10 feet deep so I would have room for a workbench.

No outside storage allowed. Any outbuilding must be brick and match the house.

County ordnance, all vehicles must be operable, licensed and insured, or stored in an enclosed building.

I have years worth of Mustang, F100 and motorcycle parts from multiple vehicles.. Now I am starting to accumulate TJ parts.

The attic is full, as is my garage, office, bedrooms and screened in back porch.

I replaced my metal mirrors with later plastic mirrors. The driver mirror had about 3 feet of electrical tape and a hose clamp on it. The passenger mirror is fine.

I want to toss the mirrors in the trash can and all the parts I removed for the stereo upgrade. Also the rear wheel liners.

Will I regret tossing this stuff?

Later this year I will sell at least one of the Mustangs. maybe both, 2 spare engines, 2 transmissions, 4 17x9 rims and a rear end. That will free up some space.

I want out of the parts business, but am always worried that down the road I will need something I tossed. Some of these 25-50 year old parts are getting difficult to source.

Not much room to work right now.

garage.jpg

In my opinion just trash any broken parts, keep parts you think will break and need replaced anytime soon. And if you don't think you'll break the part, then probably sell them. I'm a bit of a pack rat myself and I struggle getting rid of extra parts "I will use someday"

That being said, Murphys law absolutely will come into effect here and as soon as you get rid of a part, you'll actually need it

I too live in an HOA but I'm that guy that rents and has jeeps sitting outside and doesn't care.

But my garage is small and so I ask myself do I really need this? I toss alot of good parts because they take up too much room. If a part is broken or damage it almost always goes in the trash. If the fender liners are nice with no tears and all mount holes good then I would keep or sell.

The only stuff I tend to store and hang onto is stuff I have trouble finding when I need it.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I've discovered over the years that my parts pile got friggen huge. It was taking up valuable space in my shop so I decided to purge 95% if what was on the ground. I've been collecting parts for about 5 years in this new to me shop. No sooner than I get rid of everything I came into need for three different things that I tossed. Oh well.

I will typically go thru my house each spring. If anything hasn't been used in the last year or longer then it gets donated, tossed or sold.

Reactions: zachpeakee
I will typically go thru my house each spring. If anything hasn't been used in the last year or longer then it gets donated, tossed or sold.

I call that the "Purification Process". My buddy does it. It doesn't last. He and I both know that all he's doing is making room for new inventory. ;)

Backstory. I live in a 55+ HOA. No vehicle maintenance allowed in the driveway or yard, garage only. I had my garage built an extra 10 feet deep so I would have room for a workbench.

No outside storage allowed. Any outbuilding must be brick and match the house.

County ordnance, all vehicles must be operable, licensed and insured, or stored in an enclosed building.

I have years worth of Mustang, F100 and motorcycle parts from multiple vehicles.. Now I am starting to accumulate TJ parts.

The attic is full, as is my garage, office, bedrooms and screened in back porch.

I replaced my metal mirrors with later plastic mirrors. The driver mirror had about 3 feet of electrical tape and a hose clamp on it. The passenger mirror is fine.

I want to toss the mirrors in the trash can and all the parts I removed for the stereo upgrade. Also the rear wheel liners.

Will I regret tossing this stuff?

Later this year I will sell at least one of the Mustangs. maybe both, 2 spare engines, 2 transmissions, 4 17x9 rims and a rear end. That will free up some space.

I want out of the parts business, but am always worried that down the road I will need something I tossed. Some of these 25-50 year old parts are getting difficult to source.

Not much room to work right now.

View attachment 495352

I keep finding that I need a lot of the parts I've kept. They are getting harder to find as you mentioned. I am always overjoyed when I find something I need in my stash.

I'd purge by doing the following:
  1. Keep anything that is useable.
  2. Toss anything questionable or broken.
  3. Sell anything that works on another rig, but not yours.
Once you get rid of the two Mustang's later this year you'll feel better.

Reactions: BlueC
I would like to move out West, but moving is not an option.

The house just turned 6 years old, no mortgage, it is pretty much maintenance free. I picked this lot because it is small, less to weed/feed/water/mow. No trees = no leaves = no gutters to clean. All brick and vinyl = no painting. 1376sf = less to clean/heat/cool/pay taxes on.

The HOA is mild compared to many. My neighborhood is clean, quiet, no drama, no crime. I'm 63, there are two younger couples than us out of 220 homes.

I paid $10 for the rear wheel liners off marketplace to replace one of mine that was damaged. The ones I bought are oem and like new. I can repair the damaged one with my handy China plastic welder now that it is off the TJ.

HouseJul2020.jpg

Reactions: Weasellee and P man
I would like to move out West, but moving is not an option.

The house just turned 6 years old, no mortgage, it is pretty much maintenance free. I picked this lot because it is small, less to weed/feed/water/mow. No trees = no leaves = no gutters to clean. All brick and vinyl = no painting. 1376sf = less to clean/heat/cool/pay taxes on.

The HOA is mild compared to many. My neighborhood is clean, quiet, no drama, no crime. I'm 63, there are two younger couples than us out of 220 homes.

I paid $10 for the rear wheel liners off marketplace to replace one of mine that was damaged. The ones I bought are oem and like new. I can repair the damaged one with my handy China plastic welder now that it is off the TJ.

View attachment 495401

You would be crazy to move west from Georgia IMHO.