I don't know what I hate more, California or Genesis

Another, slightly different list of individual drive cycles:

Attachments

• chry-imset_procedure.pdf
    29.8 KB · Views: 108
Maybe find a state that lets you register a vehicle without being a resident? I found an RV blog from a Canadian that had registered vehicles in Vermont, North Dakota, and conveniently for you... Florida.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I thought that Nancy P. had those OBD readers outlawed in Cali. as soon as she was elected. :unsure: seems like she was afraid because they could not only tell you if something was broke but exactly what was wrong with it ! she was afraid someone would plug one in her ass :ROFLMAO:

Maybe find a state that lets you register a vehicle without being a resident? I found an RV blog from a Canadian that had registered vehicles in Vermont, North Dakota, and conveniently for you... Florida.

Not sure that any states still do that. I have relatives in TN and have dodged PA inspection by signing the title over to them and having it registered in TN.

Vermont would work for me if that's still a thing.

I lost the title for the ‘93 Ranger that I have. It was purchased in NH but after a certain number of years NH will not replace titles. I had it registered in CA where there is a provision for registering without a title but with limitations. When I moved to NJ it couldn’t be registered because NJ does not have a reciprocal agreement with CA regarding titles. I was able to register the truck in VT where they didn’t require a title even though I was living in NJ and had no connection with VT. A year later, I re-registered in NJ because they have a reciprocal agreement with VT, and they issued me a new title. It was a complicated process, but by mail only, and it got me out of a situation where I couldn’t register, sell or even junk the truck. It is now registered again in CA where the NJ issued title was accepted without the previous limitations.

So my message is, maybe VT is your solution.

Last edited:
My daily driver 2013 Genesis has a Check Engine light preventing it from passing its smog test required to renew its registration for 2022.

Diagnostics said its main catalytic converter was bad and my local shop agreed.

I'm getting to this party kinda late, but In my meager experience working as a Service Writer in an Auto shop, cats don't die unless there's some drivability issue killing them. Is the engine running ok?

Reactions: onoffroad
I'm getting to this party kinda late, but In my meager experience working as a Service Writer in an Auto shop, cats don't die unless there's some drivability issue killing them. Is the engine running ok?
Yep engine runs fine. Cats can and do go bad, I've had several that needed replacements over the years. My present TJ had a bad pre-cat that was causing erroneous O2 sensor codes and misfires by fooling one of the O2 sensors. The O2 sensors ultimately proved to be fine, I'm still running the same O2 sensors after replacing all three cats 8-9 years ago.

Reactions: nathanotis
800 miles on her since the cat replacement... multiple monitor not ready messages, and the CEL Is still on. I just gave it back to the shop that replaced the cat to figure out.

800 miles on her since the cat replacement... multiple monitor not ready messages, and the CEL Is still on. I just gave it back to the shop that replaced the cat to figure out.
What is the code. Did they clear the code after the repair? I/M monitors will not run and pass when there is a SES light.
For all the I/M monitor test to run the vehicle must meet numerous parameters.
You may have to do a refuel event and run the tank down to a 1/4-1/2 tanks.

Yep I'm very aware of all that and there's even more to it than that. Plus I've been trying to get the several not ready monitors ready for days. That's why I gave it back to the shop to figure out.

That sucks. I couldn't imagine living in CA. I'm over here taking cats off of everything I own, lol.

Just got my long tubes, cam, and 3200 stall in my daily GMC Sierra.

My shop told me today they figured out that the reason the CEL won't clear is because while the catalytic converter issue was fixed there's still a transmission pressure sensor code. Transmission codes now have that capability here in California and it wont pass the SMOG test with one. Maybe some other states too. WTF does the transmission have to do with a smog? 😡

So apparently there's a TSB to fix the problem and fortunately it's just a software update that requires less than 1 labor hour to complete. I have an appointment with the Genesis dealership Monday morning to get it done. $149, not too bad if it fixes it.

It better effing fix it is all I have to say lol.

Jerry, it's time to say goodbye to California. I know it's pretty there; I spent 4 mos in SD and a year on Treasure Island (when SF was nice), but the wack-jobs have taken over. We moved to San Antonio 30 years ago and it's wonderful, except for the 7 mo long summer. Our vehicle inspection tests turn signals, lights, horn, and costs $7. It takes under 10 minutes.
It's going to take too long to change CA via the electoral process; just get out and go somewhere sane.

All my vehicles are registered out of state. Either Arizona or North Dakota. Besides the smog BS it saves me thousands on registration. You have to do something really stupid to be pulled over by a Ca cop these days. The powers that be in this state do not want to put a financial burden on the poor illegals who rack up tickets. My town used to tow your vehicle from your driveway if your registration was expired. Other than on the interstate driving to Vegas or Az I can’t remember when the last time I saw a cop with someone pulled over. The problem with Ca is they had to dumb everything down so as not to offend any sub group.

The TSB for the transmission proved to be the final missing piece. After the dealer performed the TSB I drove it around for two days and this morning I verified no codes or pending codes remained. Nervously I took it to my favorite smog test lady this afternoon and it passed!! 🎉🤩💪

The TSB for the transmission proved to be the final missing piece. After the dealer performed the TSB I drove it around for two days and this morning I verified no codes or pending codes remained. Nervously I took it to my favorite smog test lady this afternoon and it passed!! 🎉🤩💪
Man, that is one painful road you had to go down. What's the final total on the damages to your wallet?

Man, that is one painful road you had to go down. What's the final total on the damages to your wallet?
Not including my $203 car registration, Just over $1900 including the new cat and having the dealer perform the TSB. Over frigging $2100 total. :mad:

All my vehicles are registered out of state. Either Arizona or North Dakota. Besides the smog BS it saves me thousands on registration. You have to do something really stupid to be pulled over by a Ca cop these days. The powers that be in this state do not want to put a financial burden on the poor illegals who rack up tickets. My town used to tow your vehicle from your driveway if your registration was expired. Other than on the interstate driving to Vegas or Az I can’t remember when the last time I saw a cop with someone pulled over. The problem with Ca is they had to dumb everything down so as not to offend any sub group.
Not sure how you pull that off. Most states require that it is your main residence with that states drivers license to register.