I don't really understand the hate around the 4 cylinder

4 banger TJ

TJ Enthusiast
Okay, hate might of been a strong word to use, but it gets my point across. As most of you have probably already figured out, I have a 97’ with the little 4 cylinder under the hood. I have seen a lot of people saying that it is slow, and sluggish. I haven’t really experienced any of these problems. Sure, it takes its sweet time getting to highway speeds, but once it’s there, it can sit at 75mph all day. This is Minnesota though, and I don’t meet a lot of hills. When I do meet a hill, it’s never really steep enough to drastically reduce my speed. Yes, I know that the 6 cylinder is technically better, but why is the 4 banger so much worse? Keep in mind that I haven’t driven the I6, so I have nothing to compare mine to.

For me, the problem is that the 4 is really not any better on gas compared to the 6—in in some cases might even be worse. Then again, if you're concerned about gas mileage, you shouldn't own a TJ :)

Reactions: papasjeep
I don't have any issue with the, properly geared they will go anywhere a 6 will. I've wheeled with a 4 cyl that went a lot of places I couldn't but it was built better than mine. I'd always take the 6 over the 4 personally though. I like all the power I can get.

Let me know when you get in excess of 20 MPG on your 4.0 like my 2.5
20 mpg would be very surprising to me unless you're using hyper-mileage techniques. I'd serious doubt anyone would see 20 mpg driving the 2.5 normally.

The comments regarding the 2.5 not getting better mpg than the 4.0 are pretty common because, frankly, that's how it is since it has to be driven so much more aggressively to keep up with traffic. At least in common driving situations, not when someone is specifically driving it hyper-mileage style trying to maximize their mpg.

20 mpg would be very surprising to me unless you're using hyper-mileage techniques. I'd serious doubt anyone would see 20 mpg driving the 2.5 normally.

The comments regarding the 2.5 not getting better mpg than the 4.0 are pretty common because, frankly, that's how it is since it has to be driven so much more aggressively to keep up with traffic. At least in common driving situations, not when someone is specifically driving it hyper-mileage style trying to maximize their mpg.

All I can say is when I was tracking the mileage on my 60 plus mile commute from the Jersey shore to Queens NY before retiring and getting the hell out of there the MPG was consistently in the 19 to 20 range with a best of 22.05 MPG. I don't have a heavy foot and usually stayed within the flow (no left lane) of traffic. Granted there were few hills or serious grades to deal with, however I do not ever recall getting below 17 at any point. Chili Pepper is about to come out of her overhaul within the next few days so I'm gonna post the mileage on the run up to Bandon which is about 90 miles and rather mountainous. I'll report back.

As a rule I keep the weight to a minimum, tires at about 28 psi and she is well maintained.

For me, the problem is that the 4 is really not any better on gas compared to the 6—in in some cases might even be worse. Then again, if you're concerned about gas mileage, you shouldn't own a TJ :)
I owned my 1st 97 (it was a 4 popper) from 98 until it died of cancer in 2016. When I switched from 87 ethanol to 91 ethanol free, I went from 12 to 20 mpg immediately and stayed there. my "new" 97 (4.0) cant touch that no matter what

Reactions: TJ4Jim
Yes, I know that the 6 cylinder is technically better, but why is the 4 banger so much worse?

because the 4.0l is barely adequate

Keep in mind that I haven’t driven the I6 ...

_57c8a1a431a592af806925e57258202f.jpg

As a rule I keep the weight to a minimum
This is the rule for the SE. Keep it light it'll do anything. I'd sooner have an SE than a JL, JT, JK. And if I had a second TJ it would be an SE for around town, beach runs with the dog, going for coffee, beer or a swim. The SE is a fabulous Jeep but it limits how big you can go with mods..... which is likely an advantage.

If you want good gas mileage, get skinny tires. With 33x10.50 my best was 17mpg. I switched to 7.50R16s and I now get 22mpg easy on the highway. That added 95 miles between gas stops. And they are better in the snow too.

Last edited:
My 2001 Wrangler 2.5 died from cancer also, it's the price of living in New England. If I could have found a 6cly with a good frame for a reasonable price I would have.

So I ended up buying a 2004 2.4 for 2k with a great frame. I just bang around town with the Jeep anyways.

This is the rule for the SE. Keep it light it'll do anything. I'd sooner have an SE than a JL, JT, JK. And if I had a second TJ it would be an SE for around town, beach runs with the dog, going for coffee, beer or a swim. The SE is a fabulous Jeep but it limits how big you can go with mods..... which is likely an advantage.

If you want good gas mileage, get skinny tires. With 33x10.50 my best was 17mpg. I switched to 7.50R16s and I now get 22mpg easy on the highway. That added 95 miles between gas stops. And they are better in the snow too.
My wife's JK with the 3.6 has about 100 more horsepower than the 4.0, and it gets up to 24 mpg vs her 4.0 tj which got 18 on average and her 2.5 which got 14-16... so if you get a standard JK, its a nice ride and economical vs any 4 banger...

My son and daughter in-law have a 2014 Jeep Wrangler with 4 doors with the 6cly. They hardly ever use it, they wish they had got something else.

I've drove it a few times just my opinion (opinions are like assholes everyone has one.) It's to civilized if that makes any sense?

I get like 18-19 around “town” shifting at 2-2.5k and that’s usually out accelerating traffic flow.

Highway I consistently see around 14 but that’s flooring it the whole way not ever dropping below 70, doing my best to maintain 75- 80 or above if terrain allows.

I average 20mpg U.S. every tank. 55 to 60mph, 4-5 traffic lights, one big hill each day - full throttle in 4th (holds 55+), plus 5 short trips during the week (gotta have the joe...).

Keep it light, in top tune, 27-28" tires, rpm under 2500, and drive it normally.

Look at it like this. You could sweep your driveway with a small wisk broom, or a 24" wide push broom. Both with get the task done, but one will accomplish the task with considerably less frustration. When you wash dishes...cut the sponge in half...call that the 4 cylinder....use a full size sponge and call that the 6 cylinder....which sucks less?

Would you rather change a tire using a 12" long wrench handle or a 20" long wrench handle?

More power is better. Less power is lame.