I hate replacing the wrong parts

89grand

TJ Addict
So I've had a nagging transmission leak for a while now. The bottom of the pan always had fluid on it, so I pulled the pan and replaced the gasket. It still leaked. I then replaced the pan with a new one and new gasket, and I pulled the skid plate this time. While doing that, I noticed by tranny mount was shot, so I replaced that (it sucks and is transmitting vibes, so I had to order a Mopar one).

It still leaks, and now I realize it was the shifter seal the whole time. It is leaking, then running down onto the pan making it look that is where the leak is coming from. I ordered a tool set to remove and replace the seal. I didn't want to pull the pan AGAIN, plus the tool was cheaper than the tranny fluid to refill it again, which I've already done twice now.

Don't you just love wasting time and money on the wrong fix?

Reactions: reddvltj
Lol, i came to embrace it as a positive thing. Look at it as a reason to do things that you would have never done otherwise :D.
By the time you are done fixing 4 things, you will break 8 things in the process and replace 16 additional things by mistake or for the reasons of "while im there, why not"

We may drive 15+ year old vehicles, but some of us have it in condition as if they just rolled fresh from the factory

My regear opened a pandora-wobble-box and a black hole in the wallet. Amount of shit im about to replace while chasing that wobble is ... just.... 🤦‍♂️

I had a similar issue with a re-manufactured trans. Installed it took it out for a test drive, got home and it was dripping... Tightened all the pan bolts cleaned it up took it out again... still leaking. Drained and removed the pan, not once but twice. the second time I used a very small amount Permatex Ultra black... still had a leak!!! Just when I was about to pull the trans back out and send it back to the builder I noticed this!!!
overdrive housing crack.jpg

overdrive housing crack 2.jpg

A cracked overdrive housing🥴

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 89grand and Squatch
If you have not done anything about that crack yet, ill suggest JBweld.
I almost pulled a trigger on a new trany due to a crack around fill plug, but then saw JBweld in the store and thought why not... Year and half later, two oil changes, not a drip.

If you have not done anything about that crack yet, ill suggest JBweld.
I almost pulled a trigger on a new trany due to a crack around fill plug, but then saw JBweld in the store and thought why not... Year and half later, two oil changes, not a drip.
It got taken care of about 3 days after I called the transmission builder. They sent me a new overdrive housing 8 courts of synthetic trans fluid, a new pan gasket and everything else I needed to replace the housing!!! I spent almost 4K on that trans, I wasn't even going to entertain the idea of trying to seal the crack.

This was Oct, 31st 2016
Reman 48RE.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: AndyG
My Mopar tranny mount showed up today. At least it has some give to it, so it should get rid of the vibes I'm getting with the shitty, rock hard auto parts store mount. I'll just wait until I get the seal, and tool to remove and install the seal all at once. The damn leak better be gone this time.

I still have to replace the water pump and upper control arms on my Magnum too. I don't want to have to fix a vehicle for at least a year after all of this.

Think of the positive, you have really really fresh transmission fluid throughout. : )

Way back when the TJ’s first hit the streets a buddy has his in for an intermittent miss. The dealership replaced the head before replacing the faulty spark plug

• Wow
My Mopar tranny mount showed up today. At least it has some give to it, so it should get rid of the vibes I'm getting with the shitty, rock hard auto parts store mount. I'll just wait until I get the seal, and tool to remove and install the seal all at once. The damn leak better be gone this time.

I still have to replace the water pump and upper control arms on my Magnum too. I don't want to have to fix a vehicle for at least a year after all of this.
Keep us posted .
Don’t feel bad .. I had a pop in my steering .

after weeks of dry tests , etc, I made up my mind it was the steering shaft u joints

Installed a borgersen

things got worse

Borgersen was .009 small at the bearing , popped ,drifted , etc

found actual problem in meantime..the track bar mount

fixed that

installed a new shaft/ bearing as by then I had no confidence in my bearing ,etc

wasted about 1000 bucks total .

all knowledge has a cost.

• Wow
It got taken care of about 3 days after I called the transmission builder. They sent me a new overdrive housing 8 courts of synthetic trans fluid, a new pan gasket and everything else I needed to replace the housing!!! I spent almost 4K on that trans, I wasn't even going to entertain the idea of trying to seal the crack.

This was Oct, 31st 2016

Dang! That was a stand-up transmission company. What is their name (for future reference)?

Reactions: AndyG
I have a son that's pretty hard on vehicles...

I have a friend who owns a transmission shop

We needed one for his pickup truck

he put a remanufactured transmission in it simply because he knew the manufacturer would warrant it and he didn't have to...

That's a smart businessman right there...Especially knowing my son he could tear up an iron anvil with a rubber mallet.

You learn 10× more by f-ing up than you do by getting it right the first time. Not the cheapest or quickest way, but the most knowledgeable way. Every master mechanic started out knowing nothing. Experience is the best learning tool. Much more so than just "replace the whole thing" mentality. Next time you have a wet trans pan I guarantee you will do more than just buy a gasket first.