I have a dog, I leave her home

my uncle's solution to that problem was a squirt gun loaded with every kind of the hottest pepper sauces and powders he could find, with enough water to make it flow. Hit 'em right in the mouth while it was open to bark.

I have no idea if it worked ...
I had a dog that was terrible about stealing food off the kitchen counter when nobody was looking. Thought I would break him of the habit by making something hot enough to make a true pepperhead's spin. Was hot enough I couldn't tolerate it, and he really didn't like it, but he still went back to the well several times in a row because it was "people food." All I did was reinforce his bad behavior. :)

I had a dog that was terrible about stealing food off the kitchen counter when nobody was looking. Thought I would break him of the habit by making something hot enough to make a true pepperhead's spin. Was hot enough I couldn't tolerate it, and he really didn't like it, but he still went back to the well several times in a row because it was "people food." All I did was reinforce his bad behavior. :)

some just don't learn.

The lady across the street from my parents house has a rescue Golden retriever that I swear must be mentally deficient. She will approach a tree that she has seen a squirrel in before, but not recently, and bark up the tree as though there is currently a squirrel in it, taunting her. This will go on, no kidding, for 2 HOURS. She also bolts at the hint of an open door and does not obey commands to come back.

Half a dozen mouse traps will cure that behavior with a quickness.

Reactions: Blondie70
some just don't learn.

The lady across the street from my parents house has a rescue Golden retriever that I swear must be mentally deficient. She will approach a tree that she has seen a squirrel in before, but not recently, and bark up the tree as though there is currently a squirrel in it, taunting her. This will go on, no kidding, for 2 HOURS. She also bolts at the hint of an open door and does not obey commands to come back.

The previously mentioned dog of ours just NEVER learned to leave the funny black cat with the white stripe down its back the hell alone! Darn dog harassed this "cat" and would reap the consequences EVERY fucking nite! The entire neighborhood had had it with the incessant smell - until one nite at 0 dark thirty, there was a BLAM! from further up the hill. No more problems and my little dog eventually smelled like a dog again...

Fortunately Akitas don't bark as a rule. If you an Akita and it does bark, there's something needing investigation.
Ours don't bark. I've had neighbors commenting that they did not know we have dogs.

Fortunately Akitas don't bark as a rule. If you an Akita and it does bark, there's something needing investigation.
Ours don't bark. I've had neighbors commenting that they did not know we have dogs.

I've read that they're snappy with kids though. True?

I had a Rottie that took a full face shot.
Didn't matter how much I scrubbed her, it was in her lungs for a week!
She stayed outside and in the basement!

some just don't learn.

I definitely think some dogs are just lacking in the brain department.

This dog I currently have now (the one that came as a package deal with the wife) would crap on the floor when we were gone. I bought a kennel and started locking him up when we were gone. He would crap in the kennel. People said the kennel was too big and a normal dog never craps where it sleeps. I purchased a smaller kennel and guess what? Still craps in the kennel only now the dog has crap all over him because small kennel.

I definitely think some dogs are just lacking in the brain department.

This dog I currently have now (the one that came as a package deal with the wife) would crap on the floor when we were gone. I bought a kennel and started locking him up when we were gone. He would crap in the kennel. People said the kennel was too big and a normal dog never craps where it sleeps. I purchased a smaller kennel and guess what? Still craps in the kennel only now the dog has crap all over him because small kennel.

That dog is defective. Replace it.

Reactions: R49 and P man

Our experience with them has always been positive. It all comes down to "Temperament". It helps to know the puppy's parents and see what their temperament is.
Ours loved the kiddo's. One of them liked my Son when he was around 10 and would follow him around the house.

Now years ago we did have one female who got nervous around other's toddlers.

We used to show Akitas up and down the central California areas and belonged to The Golden Gate Akita Club during those times.

We always obedient train them so they know how to behave when out walking.

Last edited:

never had one, don't know anything about them, but the first time I met my next door neighbor, who is a retired marine, cop, and newspaper owner and now runs a mobile dog grooming business with his wife because he was bored, had stitches all in his face because he'd been bitten by an akita that he was grooming. Tore him right up.

I know there are bad eggs in every breed, but that was the first thing I'd ever heard about them.

Reactions: Blondie70
never had one, don't know anything about them, but the first time I met my next door neighbor, who is a retired marine, cop, and newspaper owner and now runs a mobile dog grooming business with his wife because he was bored, had stitches all in his face because he'd been bitten by an akita that he was grooming. Tore him right up.

I know there are bad eggs in every breed, but that was the first thing I'd ever heard about them.

I have been lightly bitten in the face by one. Kind of my own stupidity when I was younger, but it was an interesting experience.

That's something you learn real fast in showing dogs, you don't put your face near theirs or get down to their level.

Dogs that bite people without their owners being in danger should get a bullet.dogs that bite kids should get beat to death,then shot.

I've raised a couple pit bulls.they could be trusted around anyone,anywhere.including shops i worked at with random people and dogs showing up.stoic mfers against pain and torment right up until they had my permission to go break bones in their jaws

Dogs that bite people without their owners being in danger should get a bullet.dogs that bite kids should get beat to death,then shot.

I've raised a couple pit bulls.they could be trusted around anyone,anywhere.including shops i worked at with random people and dogs showing up.stoic mfers against pain and torment right up until they had my permission to go break bones in their jaws

I would disagree in this instance. As someone bitten multiple times by dogs (and I would argue all my fault) it depends.

Reactions: Zorba
I would disagree in this instance. As someone bitten multiple times by dogs (and I would argue all my fault) it depends.

Kinda,maybe. Dogs should never bite kids.and I'd argue that they aren't smart enough to be making the decision to bite adults

Kinda,maybe. Dogs should never bite kids.and I'd argue that they aren't smart enough to be making the decision to bite adults

Part of this falls on parenting. I once watched a dog bite a small child in the face. The parents weren't watching their toddler and the dog had enough of the kid and responded. The parents were ofcourse upset at the dog but at the end of the day If they had been doing their jobs as parents it could have been avoided.

This is a different scenario than an aggressive dog that snaps suddenly and is unpredictable