I Just Scored The Deal Of The Century - My Second "TJ" - A 2006 LJ

zachpeakee

The most hated man on the internet
Supporting Member
My first "browsings" into the TJ world, I immediately wanted an LJ.
The simplicities of a TJ, with additional benefits for what I wanted to use the rig for.
I live in a Snow/Ice area, I snowboard a lot, and I like to off-road some fairly aggressive trails.
So I wanted the extra Cargo space, and longer wheel base to make some of the street driving a bit more comfortable.
But the pricing of LJ's turned me away. So I settled back down into the realities of buying a "normal" TJ.

There were a few options I wanted with my TJ, but was "okay" with not having.

Hard Top (+extra soft top was a plus), Full Doors, and I wanted it BONE stock.
I wanted something I KNEW had not been beaten/neglected.

Needless to say, I had a lot of troubles finding that, within a good price point that I felt was reasonable to spend.
So I bought my 2000 Sahara, lifted by the previous owner, with soft-top/etc.
Pretty much I missed 1/2 the boxes I wanted to check. BUT I HAD A TJ FINALLY...

So I've enjoyed my current TJ along the way, but those things have still lingered in the back of my head the last few months..

Until this morning.
I usually scroll facebook marketplace before I get out of bed.
And I came across this listed as a "2006 Jeep Wrangler" for $5,500 , in my town.

1706587635846.png

1706587649936.png

Look closely. I was absolutely MINDBLOWN.
A 2006 TJ UNLIMITED. AKA. LJ.
For $5,500 bones.

It was posted 30 minutes prior to me seeing it, and I just knew in the back of my head "someone knows what this is, and this thing is GONE".
But I messaged the seller anyways.
Seller responded a few minutes later, and not to my surprise, there were already 4 people ahead of me wanting to see it.

I'm not sure what kind of good karma i've run into lately, but I get a message 1 hour later saying:
"there's 20+ other folks wanting to see this jeep today. The first few people bailed out. If you're interested, it's still available."
followed by
"Just know, we won't take a penny less than $5,500"

When I tell you i've never ran downstairs so fast, I mean it.
I practically broke my neck trying to get my TJ fired up to go see it.

I drove 20 minutes to the sellers house, and there it sat, in the driveway.
The photos were literally taken TODAY before posting. It was EVERYTHING the ad said it was.

2006 Jeep Wrangler "LJ". Flame Red. 4.0L Engine. 6-Speed Manual Transmission. Clean Title.
Hard Top AND Factory Soft Top STILL IN THE BOX.

I crawled underneath, and there sat the Dana 44, and the seller informed me it also had the "Trac Lok" differential installed.

There was one issue. It had 200,000 miles on it.
This immediately stung me in a bad way. But I kept replaying the old saying "maintenance is more important than mileage", so I decided to start questioning the owner a bit.

Turns out, to my surprise, the owner is the ORIGINAL owner, and bought the Jeep in 2006 off the showroom floor.
He was an older gentleman (I'd guess 70 - maybe late 60's) and was extremely meticulous about maintenance.
He had every service record since 2006, and never allowed as much as a spot of fluid to drip onto his garage floor.
(I'm being serious. He replaced the windshield wiper tank, and when I pointed it out he replied "the old tank was too dirty to sell that way" )

He had also taken it to the Jeep dealership for majority of the services on it, and had records of him staying on top of all drivetrain, transmission, etc schedules.

The jeep was flat-towed for a portion of its life behind an RV, which I assume could explain at least SOME of the mileage.
But the frame matched the rest of the jeep. Absolutely PHENOMENAL condition.
The engine fired up, and sounded like it just left the showroom floor. Absolutely ZERO leaks, creaks, ticks, etc.
Ran like a sewing machine.

It was blatantly obvious to me that this was the cleanest TJ I had ever seen in person, and to top it off it was the cleanest LJ i've ever seen in person.
To top all of that off, it was the best price I've ever seen on ANY TJ of this condition.

I told the seller I needed to go to the bank, and I would be back within the hour with cash.
No haggling, no gimmicks, I WAS GOING TO BUY THIS JEEP.

The entire way to the bank, I'll admit I had an absolute rock in my gut. But not in the bad way.
I think I was genuinely shocked and anxious about the absolute DIAMOND I had found.

As quick as I could, I gave $5,500 to the seller, shook his hand, thanked him 30 times, and drove away.
I now own a bone-stock, un-molested, damn near PERFECT CONDITION Jeep Wrangler "LJ".

An absolute unicorn find if you ask me, and I am still near shaking with excitement.
I don't know how it happened, but it did...

1706588685029.png

1706588696910.png

1706588714097.png

1706588732614.png

1706588746261.png

1706588758115.png

1706588771822.png

1706588787649.png

1706588799161.png

1706588808027.png

Last edited:
That's amazing. I've found some really good deals but that one takes the cake. The 200k miles wouldn't scare me a bit, but also I think somebody determined the other day that towed miles don't go on the odometer so if that's true it has 200k driving miles plus a zillion rolling miles. Not that any of that would scare me away anyway.

Reactions: AndyG and JMT
That's amazing. I've found some really good deals but that one takes the cake. The 200k miles wouldn't scare me a bit, but also I think somebody determined the other day that towed miles don't go on the odometer so if that's true it has 200k driving miles plus a zillion rolling miles. Not that any of that would scare me away anyway.

This is also what I've known and understood.
Tow mileage doesn't increase a TJ odometer. Although I haven't tested that theory myself.

Although, by the time we had gotten to that point of the conversation, the guy didn't know it yet, but I already was thinking of where in my garage I was going to fit ANOTHER Jeep. :ROFLMAO:

So, what are you going to do with the Sahara?

Ultimately it will be sold.
Not sure what all - if anything - I want to transfer over.

I learned a lot along the way of my wants/needs in the platform, so i'm itching to do things a little bit differently on the LJ.

My main concern at the moment is that I JUST had the axles re-geared to 4.88's with ARB air lockers on the Sahara.
Literally 162 miles ago...

So i'm at a standstill at the idea of swapping axles over, or do I just take that loss and re-gear/lock the LJ as it's own.

My first "browsings" into the TJ world, I immediately wanted an LJ.
The simplicities of a TJ, with additional benefits for what I wanted to use the rig for.
I live in a Snow/Ice area, I snowboard a lot, and I like to off-road some fairly aggressive trails.
So I wanted the extra Cargo space, and longer wheel base to make some of the street driving a bit more comfortable.
But the pricing of LJ's turned me away. So I settled back down into the realities of buying a "normal" TJ.

There were a few options I wanted with my TJ, but was "okay" with not having.

Hard Top (+extra soft top was a plus), Full Doors, and I wanted it BONE stock.
I wanted something I KNEW had not been beaten/neglected.

Needless to say, I had a lot of troubles finding that, within a good price point that I felt was reasonable to spend.
So I bought my 2000 Sahara, lifted by the previous owner, with soft-top/etc.
Pretty much I missed 1/2 the boxes I wanted to check. BUT I HAD A TJ FINALLY...

So I've enjoyed my current TJ along the way, but those things have still lingered in the back of my head the last few months..

Until this morning.
I usually scroll facebook marketplace before I get out of bed.
And I came across this listed as a "2006 Jeep Wrangler" for $5,500 , in my town.

View attachment 495565

View attachment 495566

Look closely. I was absolutely MINDBLOWN.
A 2006 TJ UNLIMITED. AKA. LJ.
For $5,500 bones.

It was posted 30 minutes prior to me seeing it, and I just knew in the back of my head "someone knows what this is, and this thing is GONE".
But I messaged the seller anyways.
Seller responded a few minutes later, and not to my surprise, there were already 4 people ahead of me wanting to see it.

I'm not sure what kind of good karma i've run into lately, but I get a message 1 hour later saying:
"there's 20+ other folks wanting to see this jeep today. The first few people bailed out. If you're interested, it's still available."
followed by
"Just know, we won't take a penny less than $5,500"

When I tell you i've never ran downstairs so fast, I mean it.
I practically broke my neck trying to get my TJ fired up to go see it.

I drove 20 minutes to the sellers house, and there it sat, in the driveway.
The photos were literally taken TODAY before posting. It was EVERYTHING the ad said it was.

2006 Jeep Wrangler "LJ". Fire Red. 4.0L Engine. 6-Speed Manual Transmission. Clean Title.
Hard Top AND Factory Soft Top STILL IN THE BOX.

I crawled underneath, and there sat the Dana 44, and the seller informed me it also had the "Trac Lok" differential installed.

There was one issue. It had 200,000 miles on it.
This immediately stung me in a bad way. But I kept replaying the old saying "maintenance is more important than mileage", so I decided to start questioning the owner a bit.

Turns out, to my surprise, the owner is the ORIGINAL owner, and bought the Jeep in 2006 off the showroom floor.
He was an older gentleman (I'd guess 70 - maybe late 60's) and was extremely meticulous about maintenance.
He had every service record since 2006, and never allowed as much as a spot of fluid to drip onto his garage floor.
(I'm being serious. He replaced the windshield wiper tank, and when I pointed it out he replied "the old tank was too dirty to sell that way" )

He had also taken it to the Jeep dealership for majority of the services on it, and had records of him staying on top of all drivetrain, transmission, etc schedules.

The jeep was flat-towed for a portion of its life behind an RV, which I assume could explain at least SOME of the mileage.
But the frame matched the rest of the jeep. Absolutely PHENOMENAL condition.
The engine fired up, and sounded like it just left the showroom floor. Absolutely ZERO leaks, creaks, ticks, etc.
Ran like a sewing machine.

It was blatantly obvious to me that this was the cleanest TJ I had ever seen in person, and to top it off it was the cleanest LJ i've ever seen in person.
To top all of that off, it was the best price I've ever seen on ANY TJ of this condition.

I told the seller I needed to go to the bank, and I would be back within the hour with cash.
No haggling, no gimmicks, I WAS GOING TO BUY THIS JEEP.

The entire way to the bank, I'll admit I had an absolute rock in my gut. But not in the bad way.
I think I was genuinely shocked and anxious about the absolute DIAMOND I had found.

As quick as I could, I gave $5,500 to the seller, shook his hand, thanked him 30 times, and drove away.
I now own a bone-stock, un-molested, damn near PERFECT CONDITION Jeep Wrangler "LJ".

An absolute unicorn find if you ask me, and I am still near shaking with excitement.
I don't know how it happened, but it did...

View attachment 495570

View attachment 495571

View attachment 495572

View attachment 495573

View attachment 495574

View attachment 495575

View attachment 495576

View attachment 495577

View attachment 495578

View attachment 495579

Congratulations! Awesome find and so glad it fell into your hands! I love Flame Red. There really is nothing like it.

Reactions: zachpeakee
Congratulations! Awesome find and so glad it fell into your hands! I love Flame Red. There really is nothing like it.

I have a yellow Jeep and I absolutely love how bright and gaudy it is. But I do admit that these TJs look really, really good in red.

Reactions: JMT

I've got to be honest.
Flame Red was the LAST color choice I wanted.

But it's nothing to do with me NOT liking red.
My wife's entire family ONLY buys red vehicles, and it weirds me out.

It's a long-running rule in the house that we wouldn't do that.

Today I broke that rule.. :LOL:

First thing she said when she saw it was "I'm really going to miss the white". lmao

• Wow
I have a yellow Jeep and I absolutely love how bright and gaudy it is. But I do admit that these TJs look really, really good in red.

I love Solar Yellow too. There are some old threads on here about favorite colors. I always loved the bolder colors: Flame Red, Solar Yellow, Impact Orange, Intense Blue (2003), and, of all things, white and silver.
I've got to be honest.
Flame Red was the LAST color choice I wanted.

But it's nothing to do with me NOT liking red.
My wife's entire family ONLY buys red vehicles, and it weirds me out.

It's a long-running rule in the house that we wouldn't do that.

Today I broke that rule.. :LOL:

First thing she said when she saw it was "I'm really going to miss the white". lmao

I’d be on cloud 9 with that find! That’s hilarious your wife said that. It is weird they only buy red cars. That’s a color that only works on select vehicles (usually sports cars and maybe an F150). But hey, look on the bright side, if you weren’t very high up in her family pecking order, you might move up a few spots!

Ultimately it will be sold.
Not sure what all - if anything - I want to transfer over.

I learned a lot along the way of my wants/needs in the platform, so i'm itching to do things a little bit differently on the LJ.

My main concern at the moment is that I JUST had the axles re-geared to 4.88's with ARB air lockers on the Sahara.
Literally 162 miles ago...

So i'm at a standstill at the idea of swapping axles over, or do I just take that loss and re-gear/lock the LJ as it's own.

What tranny in the LJ? What axles on the Sahara? If they are Dana 30/Dana 44 I’d probably swap them over to the LJ, but you’re moving from an AX-15 to ??? And what’s your final tire size?

Something similar to this happened to me right around lockdown time in 2020. A gorgeous 2000 Sahara with 53k on it popped up nearby for 10k, which in AZ was a stupid good price. I text the guy maybe an hour after it was posted and he already had people saying they were interested. Then he texts me this later in the evening.
IMG_3315.jpeg

Point being, sometimes the deals seem to good to be true, and it seems impossible that we get the luck of the draw in those situations, but it does happen! Congrats and what a great find!

What tranny in the LJ? What axles on the Sahara? If they are Dana 30/Dana 44 I’d probably swap them over to the LJ, but you’re moving from an AX-15 to ??? And what’s your final tire size?

Sahara was swapped from NV3550 to an AX15.
It's got Dana 30 Front/Dana 44 Rear.
4.88 ratio w/ ARB Lockers.

LJ is ALSO Dana 30 Front/Dana 44 Rear, and has the 6-Speed NSG370.
Just factory differentials, with "Trac-Lok" (which to my understanding is dogshit for actual offroad usage), and factory 3.73 gearing.

See now why it's tempting? :ROFLMAO:

My absolute ONLY hangup is how unbelievably clean this LJ is.
My Sahara is super clean, and STILL the axles would look out of place underneath the LJ.

BUT, the temptation to rip them apart and swap everything over IS there.

I'm wanting to go 35's minimum on the LJ. 37's would be nice, but not sure i'm ready to deal with the issues that large of a tire could bring.