WTB: I need rust free commonplace TJ :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

canary bird

I am deployed abroad and hunting for a TJ for winter & summer driving around town and light off road use in Indiana.
My wish list:
1.) 4.0, 2.5 or 2.4 -automatic (for the wife),
2.) rust "free",
3.) as stock as possible, &
4.) $6-8k
... and probably from a dealership so I could have it shipped to a dealer friend in Indiana who says he only gets trade in Jeeps that are rust buckets.

Any leads or ideas would greatly be appreciated. The general drift I am getting from the forum is to hunt south and ship north ... as the risk of a leaky lemon from the south is cheaper than dealing with a northern rust bucket.

That price should get you a nice 4 cylinder model. Might be near impossible to fine a truly "rust free" 4.0 at that price. You are right in what you have heard. Rust repairs will be more expensive than major mechanical failures.

That price should get you a nice 4 cylinder model. Might be near impossible to fine a truly "rust free" 4.0 at that price. You are right in what you have heard. Rust repairs will be more expensive than major mechanical failures.
Thanks cornbread from someone from flat Amish northern Indiana. I may take people's advice to look south and ship north!

@Starrs can probably blow this thread up with all the rust free ones he's found, haha!

Is Kentucky far enough south to be rust free ... or painted over frame? https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/795924450/overview/

Kentucky is not far enough South to be out of the salt belt. That one looks decent but here is what scares me with it: 1. The frame has obviously been sprayed over to try and cover up rust. That being said, it does look like a good frame but in my experience, "painted over rust" is bad.
2. It has been running a knock off K&N, hard to say how much dirt it has ate.
3. Are the seat covers covering up junk seats?
4. Hardtops are worth good money, need to know how severe the cracks are.

The mileage is fairly low and it looks to be a nice Jeep that hasn't been tampered with too much. That being said I would think $6k should buy it.

Yes, I absolutely agree Cornbread. I think those sheets over the seats look comical! I will look farther south or west. In looking at cars.com last night, there were a number of 100-160k mile 4.0L TJs out west and all hovering a little under $10k.

Chris, do you have any guesstimate on cost to ship Jeeps? I have no idea of what price we are talking. A set fee plus x dollars per mile?

I've shipped countless numbers of vehicles from all over the U.S. From the west coast to where you are, you will spend around $1200 to $1500.

Status
Not open for further replies.