I think I may have found my death wobble problem!

Rosch323

Bought the jeep used a month or two ago as a project/daily driver. After learning everything I could about O2 sensors, radiators, water pumps, and the like in the hardest way possible, I got the jeep running decent enough without any warning lights on the dash. Then I got my first taste of death wobble at 60 mph on a 4 lane interstate... That was fun. So I started looking for problems but everything in the guide (https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/jeep-wrangler-tj-death-wobble-diagnosis-fixes.9032/#post-1519035) about checking the trackbar bolt, the tie rod ends, and the ball joints seemed within spec. Then I saw IT, or the lack of it to be exact. My driver's side sway bar link is just gone... I'm not sure if this is a symptom of, or the cause of, the death wobble I experienced, but I'm quite certain it doesn't help the situation at all.

image0(1).jpeg

image1.jpeg

So now I am on a mission and this is where I could use some assistance. Is there a recommendation for new sway bar links that won't break the bank and a complete front end bushing set. I figure if I'm going to be under there I may as well replace the bushings just in case the sway bar link fell off during the wobble, which was actually caused by something else I'm not seeing.

Side note: 2000 TJ, 4.0 6cyl, 5spd manual, 2" lift and sitting on 31's (255/75r17).

just in case the sway bar link fell off during the wobble, which was actually caused by something else I'm not seeing.

Welcome

Sway bar link is most likely not the problem.
Research dry steering test.
Any brand will work for an oem replacement. Moog is a popular choice.
If you plan to wheel it, you might consider some quick-disconnect ones.

Reactions: AndyG and CMBD
Welcome to old Jeeps.

I’ll just speak from my experience, death wobble usually is a combination of a couple things.

1. Tires out of balance. Bigger tires, harder to balance.

2. Something loose that let the out of balance tires get crazy.

I would do a steering test. Have a friend start the Jeep, with it running turn the wheel back and forth, with some speed, not slowly back and forth.

Look at the track bar ends up front , the tie rod ends and drag link connections to the Pitman etc.

If you see something that moves more than it should, you need to check if it’s damaged, and torque it down.

Then I would take the fronts off and switch with the back tires. Does it act any differently? Will give you a good clue if the tires are jacked. Do they have stick on weights, that some may have fallen off?

either way, I’d go and get a serious wheel balance. And look up at home alignment, and check the toe in, although that’s not the cause, and neither is the sway bar. I’ve driven sway bar disconnected multiple times. The steering dampener is not the issue either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Artsifrtsi
I have been somewhat surprised at how perfect everything has to be to prevent DW. Rod ends, bearings, bushings, ball joints, tire balance and tire condition. When I first had DW, re-balancing had no effect. A dry steering test told me nothing, everything appeared to be tight. In frustration, I replaced everything…. rod ends, ball joints, unit bearings, U-joints, etc. DW went away totally. Just recently, after about another 20k miles it seemed to be coming back. Not full blown DW (it would stop when slowing down slightly) but it definitely felt like the beginnings of it. Tire re-balancing had minimal effect. I finally threw in the towel and bought all new tires even though the tires I had didn’t look bad and had plenty of good tread left. DW or any sign of the beginnings of it has totally disappeared again.

Reactions: AndyG
I have been somewhat surprised at how perfect everything has to be to prevent DW. Rod ends, bearings, bushings, ball joints, tire balance and tire condition. When I first had DW, re-balancing had no effect. A dry steering test told me nothing, everything appeared to be tight. In frustration, I replaced everything…. rod ends, ball joints, unit bearings, U-joints, etc. DW went away totally. Just recently, after about another 20k miles it seemed to be coming back. Not full blown DW (it would stop when slowing down slightly) but it definitely felt like the beginnings of it. Tire re-balancing had minimal effect. I finally threw in the towel and bought all new tires even though the tires I had didn’t look bad and had plenty of good tread left. DW or any sign of the beginnings of it has totally disappeared again.

Balance is only part of the tire equation. Rims and tires out of round are just as important. Balance an egg all you want and it still won't roll smooth on a jeep

Reactions: WestCoastDan
You state you were driving 60 mph on a 4 lane interstate, but exactly did you do when the DW started ?
Accelerating, changing lanes, steering correction, light braking ?
Tire balance, steering tie rod ends and trac bar bushing/TRE are the most common problems, but the condition of the control arm bushings are often overlooked.
Check the condition of the upper and lower control arm bushings IF you cannot find the problem with the above suggestions.

Reactions: cpwolf
You state you were driving 60 mph on a 4 lane interstate, but exactly did you do when the DW started ?
Accelerating, changing lanes, steering correction, light braking ?
Tire balance, steering tie rod ends and trac bar bushing/TRE are the most common problems, but the condition of the control arm bushings are often overlooked.
Check the condition of the upper and lower control arm bushings IF you cannot find the problem with the above suggestions.

Well said , that is 100% the next phase.

I agree, out of round tires that are F’d, that can be a problem with no fix short of replace. I would run the process, and know that might be the eventual, just by cost I would leave that for last.

If it sat for a long time, may be a hint that you are in for new tires.

It’s a process, ugh.

Well said , that is 100% the next phase.

I agree, out of round tires that are F’d, that can be a problem with no fix short of replace. I would run the process, and know that might be the eventual, just by cost I would leave that for last.

If it sat for a long time, may be a hint that you are in for new tires.

It’s a process, ugh.

It amazes me how often death wobble starts around 47 mph for whatever reason-

I’m not stating a fact or theory just an observation-

Back to the original post I think what he has found it is a symptom of a front end that has been neglected- And that makes me wonder about most everything upfront-

Here’s another off-the-wall statement but a vehicle can sometimes can just be horribly loose and do better than one that’s only loose in a couple of components- Maybe it absorbs the energy or whatever-

Ruling out the occasional freaky thing or a low tire-

Tires and/or slop = Death Wobble.

Always remember these are vehicles that drove amazing when they were new and they still can.

Reactions: John Cooper

Back to the original post I think what he has found it is a symptom of a front end that has been neglected- And that makes me wonder about most everything upfront-

Here’s another off-the-wall statement but a vehicle can sometimes can just be horribly loose and do better than one that’s only loose in a couple of components- Maybe it absorbs the energy or whatever-

Always remember these are vehicles that drove amazing when they were new and they still can.

Agree, mine does and have fixed 4 now, ha, including a friend’s Jk, and he had to get new tires finally, they were just crap.

Reactions: AndyG

Was in Opelika for business, great town in AL!

Back through ATL then SC and now Charlotte getting home, good to sit and think about Jeeps not work, ha.

Was in Opelika for business, great town in AL!

Back through ATL then SC and now Charlotte getting home, good to sit and think about Jeeps not work, ha.

If you get up around Huntsville don’t hesitate to give me a shout/ PM and I’ll send ya my number.