I thought I was bad...

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Supporting Member
Ran across the following just now. And I thought I was bad! Wow. Can't disagree though - guess I need to up my game! :D ;)
—————————————————————————————————————-
You know I realise now, at the age of 35, that I'm about to sound like a desiccated old husk and totally out of step with everyone, but smartphones.

Fucking hate 'em. Fucking hate smartphones. Fucking omnipresent, and apparently give out radiation that hits the bit of the brain labelled "endorphins for twats", because every fucker is always on them. Every traffic light now takes five minutes longer than it should because half the cunts driving are staring down at their phones rather than paying attention*, can't walk down the street without bumping into twats checking their phone, can't go into a shop withouts squeezing past some fuckwit who's stopped in the doorway** to message their mate to remind them what they're in there to buy. Social meetups consist of staring at your mate's illuminated foreheads while they page through fucking Facebook to hunt out some shite viral video they're desperate to show you, and you can't drink your pain away because the bar staff are all stood in a fucking prayer circle Whatsapping each other. I used to play poker a lot, and every fucking hand you'd have to wake some wanker up from his social-media-and-betting-app induced stupour, explain to him what the bet was, slowly entice him back to reality...then watch as the fucker disappears back into Narnia. I play bridge now, the old bridge ladies are mean and smell of wee, but at least they're paying attention to reality rather than some fuckwit's TikToks. Heaven fucking forfend you go to the cinema nowadays, can't watch the fucking film but for a forest of glowing white squares and fucking PING, PING, bzzzt bzzt bzzt, PING PING PING. One time someone actually was playing Candy Crush in front of me at a West End showing of Wicked, during Defying motherfucking Gravity what the fuck. And of course, every fucker expects me to be at their beck and call 24/7, and if you don't immediately respond to a message they assume you're dead and alert the search parties and you're supposed to submit to the indignity of taking 50,000 selfies until we find "the good one" so some wanker can upload you to their feed as "this one here" and uuuugh fuck offfff.

AND TO CROWN IT, the average slack jawed, weak-necked chin dipping phone monkey isn't even that good with the phone they spend all their time using. "HOWDOAHHHHHH" is the battle cry of half these fucking vitamin-rich gristle deposits, I swear, and every cunt's always whining about critically low battery because "Maybe charge up the thing that is apparently the most important thing in your life" is some kind of outlandish request. All the actually interesting things a phone can do is sidelined for fucking social media and fucking video snippets of unfunny shit for cunts.

Oh and when people refer to a group I'm in as "guys", as in "Alright guys listen up". Hate that.

* When driving past traffic that's queued in the opposite direction, I've gotten into the habit of laying on the horn and screaming at the top of my lungs whenever I see someone engrossed on their phone. Provokes some hilarious reactions. Try it today!

** This should be a capitol offence. No trial, no warning, just an angry big bastard in black garotting you with a length of piano wire and dragging you off to the incinerators.

There’s definitely some truth to that. I’ve experienced a few of those situations myself. As a smart phone owner myself, I’d like to think I’m on the other side of this argument. There was a time not long ago when I stared at my phone alot more, but now At work, I don’t have my phone on me and at home I set it down. I don’t keep it in my pocket.

Ran across the following just now. And I thought I was bad! Wow. Can't disagree though - guess I need to up my game! :D ;)
Zorba, sorry to report, but you're only about a 5, on a scale of 1 - 10. What's my measurement? I have a buddy that literally has a melt down over cellphones and stupid drivers. He has Asthma and I routinely have to calm him down and make him break out the inhaler. Sometimes I'm afraid he's going to have a heart attack. Plus, I've learned that I can't have small children around him when he goes off. It's truly not a pretty site. I'd say you need to up your game, but yours is a healthy venting at this point! ;)

Reactions: Blondie70 and Zorba
..... Heaven fucking forfend you go to the cinema nowadays, can't watch the fucking film but for a forest of glowing white squares and fucking PING, PING, bzzzt bzzt bzzt, PING PING PING.....

....And of course, every fucker expects me to be at their beck and call 24/7, and if you don't immediately respond to a message they assume you're dead and alert the search parties and you're supposed to submit to the indignity of taking 50,000 selfies until we find "the good one" so some wanker can upload you to their feed as "this one here" and uuuugh fuck offfff....

I have one. Use it all the time. But I do NOT do social media. I watched that shit wreck my daughters mind. The kids seem to think it's a good idea to report every time they shit, where they are, who they are (or worse, AREN'T with). And the Selfies... Don't have patience for that one bit.

As far as being 'on call', I don't let myself succumb to that. Being an autonomous thinker, I decide when and if I want to reply. Truth told, Facebook is worse at this.. I've canceled my FB account multiple times (reinstating only 'as needed') because of dipshits who wig out on my because they saw I was online but I didn't respond to their message.

My wife is totally guilty. We were out to dinner last night and she didn't go longer than sixty seconds without picking up the phone to see what she was missing out on. FOMO at its best. Me? I left my phone home.

Reactions: Blondie70
You know I realise now, at the age of 35, that I'm about to sound like a desiccated old husk and totally out of step with everyone, but smartphones.

Fucking hate 'em. Fucking hate smartphones. Fucking omnipresent, and apparently give out radiation that hits the bit of the brain labelled "endorphins for twats", because every fucker is always on them. Every traffic light now takes five minutes longer than it should because half the cunts driving are staring down at their phones rather than paying attention*, can't walk down the street without bumping into twats checking their phone, can't go into a shop withouts squeezing past some fuckwit who's stopped in the doorway** to message their mate to remind them what they're in there to buy. Social meetups consist of staring at your mate's illuminated foreheads while they page through fucking Facebook to hunt out some shite viral video they're desperate to show you, and you can't drink your pain away because the bar staff are all stood in a fucking prayer circle Whatsapping each other. I used to play poker a lot, and every fucking hand you'd have to wake some wanker up from his social-media-and-betting-app induced stupour, explain to him what the bet was, slowly entice him back to reality...then watch as the fucker disappears back into Narnia. I play bridge now, the old bridge ladies are mean and smell of wee, but at least they're paying attention to reality rather than some fuckwit's TikToks. Heaven fucking forfend you go to the cinema nowadays, can't watch the fucking film but for a forest of glowing white squares and fucking PING, PING, bzzzt bzzt bzzt, PING PING PING. One time someone actually was playing Candy Crush in front of me at a West End showing of Wicked, during Defying motherfucking Gravity what the fuck. And of course, every fucker expects me to be at their beck and call 24/7, and if you don't immediately respond to a message they assume you're dead and alert the search parties and you're supposed to submit to the indignity of taking 50,000 selfies until we find "the good one" so some wanker can upload you to their feed as "this one here" and uuuugh fuck offfff.

AND TO CROWN IT, the average slack jawed, weak-necked chin dipping phone monkey isn't even that good with the phone they spend all their time using. "HOWDOAHHHHHH" is the battle cry of half these fucking vitamin-rich gristle deposits, I swear, and every cunt's always whining about critically low battery because "Maybe charge up the thing that is apparently the most important thing in your life" is some kind of outlandish request. All the actually interesting things a phone can do is sidelined for fucking social media and fucking video snippets of unfunny shit for cunts.

Oh and when people refer to a group I'm in as "guys", as in "Alright guys listen up". Hate that.

* When driving past traffic that's queued in the opposite direction, I've gotten into the habit of laying on the horn and screaming at the top of my lungs whenever I see someone engrossed on their phone. Provokes some hilarious reactions. Try it today!

** This should be a capitol offence. No trial, no warning, just an angry big bastard in black garotting you with a length of piano wire and dragging you off to the incinerators.
Have you ever owned one?

@Zorba you are bad. I kinda think you derive enjoyment in life from complaining. The brit who's post you copied, well, they just have a way with words. Funny read.

My wife and I have a rule...No phones at dinner. At least then, we need to talk to each other. They are addicitive though. I've turned most of my notifications off...No facebook, no instagram. I do let my email notifications go through though...Work pays for my phone, so I guess I feel obligated to look at email in case the place is literally burning down. I also don't use it in the car...nothing worse than driving down the highway at 70+ mph and looking over at some twat texting and doing her makeup at the same time. Brings defensive driving to a whole new level!

I own and heavily use my cell phone. And 100% agree with what he wrote.

A time and place for everything. Cellphones have destroyed that concept.

Plus, interacting and espousing opinions with people you don't know and having a third party keep a permanent record of it, is not a good idea.

So called "Social media" is another discussion entirely. I don't see the need/use for it, and consider it illegitimate at best. Everybody knows the problems with those kinds of sites, why do they continue to utilize them? Makes no sense to me. As a (retired) IT guy, "I know better" than to go anywhere near them. I love the Internet, and I love discussion forums like this one. I even ran a dial-up BBS back in the day - but facebook et all "ain't it". Blah, blah, blah. But combined with a smartphone, the combination is pure poison, I don't see the attraction.

My smartphone allows me to hunt, fish, ski, coach my kids sport, boat, dick off with my friends... all because I can work from my phone. People bitch when they see dad or mom on the phone at lunch but what they fail to realize is that I'm sitting at that table instead of at some stuffy office because of that phone you hate so much. You know how much time my ol' man spent at his job? The answer was ALWAYS because we were a blue collar family that didn't have shit except parents that wee willing to work their asses off. I'm so blessed it's stupid.

Have you ever owned one?
I bought a cheap android tablet (and have subsequently "messed with" others) to see what all the hubbub was about. As I've said before, the crippled operating system, the by necessity crippled user interface (UI), the limited "apps", and its small size (still larger than a phone) means that it isn't good for much. It's good for watching Hickok45 videos on youtoob, but much else I'm better off with a real computer with real SOFTWARE (not "apps"), and a real UI. Web surfing was annoying, email was downright painful (small size and no keyboard), etc, etc, blah, blah, blah. I sure wouldn't want to even create a simple text file on one for these reasons alone, much less do anything productive. Like many have said, they're consumption devices; 80% of my computer use is creative/work. Bad match.

So as far as a proper smartphone goes, no I don't, won't, and haven't owned one. As I've said before; I've been using, programming, building (at the component level), and even designing computers and computational hardware since long before most people had ever seen one or knew what one was. "This ain't it!" and "I know better". There's isn't much - if anything - that a smartphone can do that can't be done better with either a computer or another dedicated device and for less money at that.

But the intent of this thread was really just a laugh about somebody who can rant better than I can!

I knew society was doomed when I visited a college campus to recruit and 4 out of 5 students were balls deep in their phones while crossing the street.

I can at least appreciate their usefulness - it's kinda cool having a better camera than I'd ever previously owned, a flashlight, calculator, my checkbook register, multi-format communication device and Wikipedia itself in my pocket to be called upon when needed. And yes, it does allow me to exist outside of an office between 8 and 5 on weekdays without having to take PTO. But I'm done with social media; I don't interrupt in-person conversations or really anything at all to check or respond to it...it gets my attention when I'm doing literally nothing, because literally everything I do is more important to me than staring at a phone.

The best time to stare at the phone is when taking a
1637769864875.png