I want to buy your LJ

Charlie L

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I was in town this morning and was approached by a guy who said "Nice LJ, I want to buy it". I told him that it's not for sale. He said," I told you I want to buy it". I repeated that it wasn't for sale. "I'll give you cash, everyone needs cash". I told him that if everyone needs cash, he must need it too and he could keep it, it's not for sale. He then told me to get f...ed. Not too many years ago, I would have knocked him on his ass. This time I just drove away with him in my rearview flashing me the bird. WTF over?

Always give them the “I don’t want to sell number”. Something in the range of 50K and add on it’s worth twice that.
ya I was at the store and came out to go an a guy sitting in a 70k dodge diesel was parked next and when I got in my jeep he said I'll buy that....I said ok 30 grand. he said are you fucking crazyyyyyy...mmmm. idiot. how much did he think a 2 owner pristine rubi is worth.

Some people don't like to be told they cannot buy something. Especially those with money who are used to getting whatever they want. I bought my truck right before the chip shortages and supply chain issues set it. I've had more than one incident of people trying to buy it and getting an attitude when I told them I was not interested in selling it.

With my TJ having over 200k miles that scares away anyone interested in it:).

• Haha
Reactions: John Cooper
Some people don't like to be told they cannot buy something. Especially those with money who are used to getting whatever they want. I bought my truck right before the chip shortages and supply chain issues set it. I've had more than one incident of people trying to buy it and getting an attitude when I told them I was not interested in selling it.
So, do you want to sell it? 😁

I was in town this morning and was approached by a guy who said "Nice LJ, I want to buy it". I told him that it's not for sale. He said," I told you I want to buy it". I repeated that it wasn't for sale. "I'll give you cash, everyone needs cash". I told him that if everyone needs cash, he must need it too and he could keep it, it's not for sale. He then told me to get f...ed. Not too many years ago, I would have knocked him on his ass. This time I just drove away with him in my rearview flashing me the bird. WTF over?

I would have asked him "how much" and then laughed in his face. You know he was going to offer you some BS price for it right?

Reactions: mrjp and lBasket
When I was out in Colorado last summer I had someone leave a note on my LJ asking me to give them a call if I ever wanted to sell it. It seemed honest and since. I kept the note in case I ever do want to sell it. Money talks...

Reactions: lBasket and mrjp
I have the brother of your LJ, mine is also "arrest me red" and a Rubicon. First time I was at a light and the guy next to me asked if I would sell it. I asked how much and he replied $30k. I said no thanks. Second time at the hardware store. Came out and there was a guy standing in front of my Jeep and he just said how much? I said $35k. He definitely thought about it before walking away. Last time at the grocery store, came out and there were two guys standing between my Jeep and their hummer. First guy says, I like your Jeep - what year is it. I said 2006. He said I'll give you $35k in cash right now for it. I was slightly tempted, but then I thought, what will I drive. I'm 72 and really don't want to start over. Said no, thanks. Besides, my grand-daughter has been eyeing it pretty hard...

A couple of years ago I frequently drove an 89 Toyota truck that belonged to my brother. During that time I got asked if it was for sale at least once a month. I would always ask how much and the usual reply was 2-3000 or they had a "really nice" ar-15 that they would trade me for it. lol. He sold it a year ago for 12000.

Reactions: Longwhitejeep
A couple of years ago I frequently drove an 89 Toyota truck that belonged to my brother. During that time I got asked if it was for sale at least once a month. I would always ask how much and the usual reply was 2-3000 or they had a "really nice" ar-15 that they would trade me for it. lol. He sold it a year ago for 12000.
So much for the family discount huh. Lol

ya I was at the store and came out to go an a guy sitting in a 70k dodge diesel was parked next and when I got in my jeep he said I'll buy that....I said ok 30 grand. he said are you fucking crazyyyyyy...mmmm. idiot. how much did he think a 2 owner pristine rubi is worth.
Therein is the problem- most folks really do not know what is going on- especially now.

That offer usually really means “ I want to buy a used jeep off of someone”

I hear “ how much” occasionally- I’ll tell someone fast- “you need to check out what these are selling for- if you can find one this nice to compare with”.

Someone offered to give me my “money back “ out of my 06 Rubi I just got for $10,600.00. Insulted me. I didn’t spend that to hold the keys man.

Sometimes people want to buy our Jeeps just to flip them. I did a reverse lookup on the last two notes I received and they were both listed to small used car dealerships. They don't know Jeeps, but do know money!

Yep always have a buy-it-now price in the back of your head. I remember when a guy offered to buy my convertible from me at a stoplight. Yeah I paid 3k for it but I ain't selling it for under 9 cos then I just need to turn around and find another 😂

If I ever decide I'm just done with Jeeps, 4wheeling, and everything, I might throw out a ridiculous price and take it if it's offered. But until then, there's no jeep I'd rather have than mine. The TJ is my favorite, it's an LJ which I like even more, and even if I could buy one built even better, I can't put a value on the fact that I've been through nearly every nut and bolt on it.

Therein is the problem- most folks really do not know what is going on- especially now.

That offer usually really means “ I want to buy a used jeep off of someone”

I hear “ how much” occasionally- I’ll tell someone fast- “you need to check out what these are selling for- if you can find one this nice to compare with”.

Someone offered to give me my “money back “ out of my 06 Rubi I just got for $10,600.00. Insulted me. I didn’t spend that to hold the keys man.
in az almost every clean tj rubi at a dealer is over 20k

Reactions: Jamison C and AndyG