Ibis Ripmo

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Put a deposit down on a Trek Rail 7 eMTB, but then decided after a week of debating with myself in my head that I'd rather just buy a super nice non-eMTB. The electric thing is really cool, but I know how electronics go. They are obsolete in years, more shit to go wrong, and if the motor breaks on the trail, I'm screwed.

So, I decided to buy myself a top spec Ibis Ripmo:

RipMo-Banner-1.jpg

I figure this is a better investment to be honest, and will probably be a lot more fun for me.

My last mountain bike was 10 years ago, so I figure this is a good way to get back into the sport!

Of course I have to wait for it to arrive. Ibis told me it's about a 10 day lead time until it gets shipped to my dealer, then it will take them 2-3 days to build it.

However, they got my deposit, so he said he has one locked up and reserved for me, which is all I care about.

Reactions: primetime4 and JMT
Looks sweet dude, I hope you like it. I just got a new FS Specialized last week, took it on a 4 mile trail over 800 feet today in loose rocks and it did really well. Me not so much, I'm completely wiped.

@Mike_H started a really good MTB thread, I've been in there picking everyone's brains because I'm not big on that knowledge. I'm actually gonna head over there and post another question about handle bar stems...

• Haha
Reactions: Chris
Looks sweet dude, I hope you like it. I just got a new FS Specialized last week, took it on a 4 mile trail over 800 feet today in loose rocks and it did really well. Me not so much, I'm completely wiped.

@Mike_H started a really good MTB thread, I've been in there picking everyone's brains because I'm not big on that knowledge. I'm actually gonna head over there and post another question about handle bar stems...

Specialized makes some good bikes, that's for sure.

I figure with the move to Arizona and my backyard having hundreds of miles of trails, it's a perfect time to get back into the sport. Not even sure why I got out of it to begin with, I think it was just life.

Reactions: JMT
Specialized makes some good bikes, that's for sure.

I figure with the move to Arizona and my backyard having hundreds of miles of trails, it's a perfect time to get back into the sport. Not even sure why I got out of it to begin with, I think it was just life.

Same. I was really into it in the late 90's, then I joined the military & had kids so it just fell by the wayside. Kinda like golf. I decided to get back into it last year, so far I'm glad I chose this instead of walking after a ball while wearing nice pants. You're gonna have a great time in AZ. I got my 7 year old boy his first MTB a couple of weeks ago, took him out twice already and he's hooked.

Reactions: JMT and Chris
Same. I was really into it in the late 90's, then I joined the military & had kids so it just fell by the wayside. Kinda like golf. I decided to get back into it last year, so far I'm glad I chose this instead of walking after a ball while wearing nice pants. You're gonna have a great time in AZ. I got my 7 year old boy his first MTB a couple of weeks ago, took him out twice already and he's hooked.

Yep, that's a similar story to mine. Joined the military, had kids, just got busy.

I got our 7 year old daughter a nice Trek kids mountain bike, and she's really loving it too. I enjoy it for the exercise and exploring, and she seems to have really taken a liking to it as well, which is great news.

I’ve heard the Ripmo is pretty great. I have a Santa Cruz that I love, but broke a few things over the last few years and took it easy - going to get back to it this year though.

I’ve heard the Ripmo is pretty great. I have a Santa Cruz that I love, but broke a few things over the last few years and took it easy - going to get back to it this year though.

I did a ton of research and the Ripmo seemed to be pretty highly ranked across the board, so I figured I'll give it a try.

Mountain bikes and Jeeps go together I figure, right? ;)

Maxxis tires, fox shocks ... Hmmm ... When are the LED lights, the 4" lift and midarm suspension going in? 🤣🤣

Jokes aside, that's a very nice bike. Will be perfect for those AZ trails you mentioned.

Maxxis tires, fox shocks ... Hmmm ... When are the LED lights, the 4" lift and midarm suspension going in? 🤣🤣

Jokes aside, that's a very nice bike. Will be perfect for those AZ trails you mentioned.

I looked into a base model, but then I started thinking about adding Fox suspension, better brakes, etc., and after doing the math, I came to the conclusion it was actually cheaper to buy their fully spec'd model.

However, since it was last years model, they gave me a very nice discount on it, so I'm not complaining (y)

Now I need to see about that mid-arm :ROFLMAO:

Beautiful Ibis.

Welcome back to the sport. I also took an unplanned hiatus due to kids and career. Glad to be back, but now I can’t keep up with my twin boys, and I have the better bike!

Intense Sniper Trail w Carbon wheelset

That Ibis is a great choice. Get yourself a One-up rack to go along with it. They look great on the back of a Jeep and are the best way to transport without touching your frame.
15CF0D65-6DEB-4D8E-A1B2-EDE406098D78.jpeg

I looked into a base model, but then I started thinking about adding Fox suspension, better brakes, etc., and after doing the math, I came to the conclusion it was actually cheaper to buy their fully spec'd model.

However, since it was last years model, they gave me a very nice discount on it, so I'm not complaining (y)

Now I need to see about that mid-arm :ROFLMAO:

I was looking on that site, saw a $3k price tag & thought "Hell, that's not bad!" Then I saw that was just for the frame lol.

Beautiful Ibis.

Welcome back to the sport. I also took an unplanned hiatus due to kids and career. Glad to be back, but now I can’t keep up with my twin boys, and I have the better bike!

Intense Sniper Trail w Carbon wheelset

That's a nice bike! Fortunately my kids are still young enough that I may be able to be faster than them for a few years to come. But we'll see...

You sure don't F around when it comes to "go big or go home".

Buy once, cry once, right? Haha... seriously though, I have a habit of doing this.

That Ibis is a great choice. Get yourself a One-up rack to go along with it. They look great on the back of a Jeep and are the best way to transport without touching your frame. View attachment 154876

I was just about to go looking for bike racks that didn't touch the frame. This looks like it's exactly what I need!

I was looking on that site, saw a $3k price tag & thought "Hell, that's not bad!" Then I saw that was just for the frame lol.

Yep, if you look at what you're paying for (aside from the carbon frame) a lot of it is the components (Fox factory suspension, carbon wheels, etc.);
What about those fancy new transmissions instead of a derailleur?

I'm not sure I've seen those. Link?