Ibis Ripmo

This is pretty cool, and possibly the future of bicycle drivetrains.

However, it appears as if the frame needs to be designed around it, so until big names start adopting it, it's probably not going to show up on too many bikes.

For a long time I've been thinking to myself, "Why do they keep trying to improve on the chain design?".

The logical next step to me seems like it would be something like this. Of course another big issue is cost. SRAM charges something like $2000 for their Eagle AXS drivetrain, and most people (including me) don't want to pay that kind of money just to have wireless shifting, when the mechanical shifting works just fine as it is.

I read an article though saying SRAM would have liked to have charged less, but they knew it was a niche product, they wouldn't sell them in mass, and therefore the cost of the units had to be higher since they couldn't manufacture them in mass.

Put a deposit down on a Trek Rail 7 eMTB, but then decided after a week of debating with myself in my head that I'd rather just buy a super nice non-eMTB. The electric thing is really cool, but I know how electronics go. They are obsolete in years, more shit to go wrong, and if the motor breaks on the trail, I'm screwed.

So, I decided to buy myself a top spec Ibis Ripmo:

View attachment 154729

I figure this is a better investment to be honest, and will probably be a lot more fun for me.

My last mountain bike was 10 years ago, so I figure this is a good way to get back into the sport!

Of course I have to wait for it to arrive. Ibis told me it's about a 10 day lead time until it gets shipped to my dealer, then it will take them 2-3 days to build it.

However, they got my deposit, so he said he has one locked up and reserved for me, which is all I care about.
No large purchases until after you close on the house Chris.... And that doesn't look like a TJ even when I squint my eyes.

• Haha
Reactions: CybrSlydr
No large purchases until after you close on the house Chris.... And that doesn't look like a TJ even when I squint my eyes.

I didn't have to purchase it. Just have them a small deposit, explained my story (about the house closing), and he said that's totally fine. It takes them at least 10 days to get it, and a few more to build it. So he said they'll hold my deposit, and once the house is closed, I can come in and pick it up (y)

That's how I got around that one, otherwise I would have just paid for it all upfront :LOL:

This is to compliment the TJ you know. Moab does have lots of bike trails ;)

Reactions: jeepins
Did you spec out a basket for the handlebars?

I'm sure @JMT can point you in the direction of some good riding in Moab.

I ordered a new bike a couple weeks ago, should get it in May. I’m lazy but the kid needs someone to ride with so I got an ebike.
My wife and I bought e-bikes Last year, then my sister and BIL bought some this year. They're great!
IMG_20191113_120833063.jpg

I'm sure @JMT can point you in the direction of some good riding in Moab.
The list of trail offerings is rather long. The list of fun trails is rather short.
Depends on what you are up for: scenery, challenge, fun or something with some of all.

Reactions: Chris
I like scenic stuff with a bit of a challenge.

However, it's like skiing. Even though I can ski a black diamond run, I prefer not to, as I find I'm working so hard while doing it that it makes it hard to have fun.

Reactions: JMT and qslim
I like scenic stuff with a bit of a challenge.

However, it's like skiing. Even though I can sky a black diamond run, I prefer not to, as I find I'm working so hard while doing it, that I forget I'm having fun.

Same. I just don't enjoy being extreme like I did when I was 20. My coworker talked me into going to a downhill park in Park City last year, and it was fucking terrifying.

There's a great trail here in N Utah called the Bonneville Shoreline Trail, it runs along the range at the point where lake Bonneville used to be. Overall elevation change isn't more than 1000 feet or so, and most of it is just a few hundred feet up and a few hundred feet down here and there. It's long, scenic as hell, and a good workout depending on how far you want to go.

Reactions: JMT
Same. I just don't enjoy being extreme like I did when I was 20. My coworker talked me into going to a downhill park in Park City last year, and it was fucking terrifying.

There's a great trail here in N Utah called the Bonneville Shoreline Trail, it runs along the range at the point where lake Bonneville used to be. Overall elevation change isn't more than 1000 feet or so, and most of it is just a few hundred feet up and a few hundred feet down here and there. It's long, scenic as hell, and a good workout depending on how far you want to go.

Yep, I hear you.

It's not that I don't want to have fun, but when I was doing those black diamonds, my quads are on fire, my knees feel like they are going to buckle, and all I can do is concentrate on not trying to die, that it's not fun.

I'm 100% all for exercise and getting in a good sweat, but I think there's a balance between a trail that is both scenic, leisurely, and enough of a challenge that it keeps you working.

That trail you're describing sounds like something I'd like. I still like going over rocks, I just don't envision myself needing to catch 10 feet of air and then trying to stick the landing :LOL:

Reactions: JMT
Man, it's ridiculous how expensive these bikes are. $2k and up for practically all of them - some into the teens!

I was hoping to get into this if I made it to Wyoming but man, at this price point, I don't think that's possible.

You start paying when you spec them out.

The Fox Factory suspension adds about $1100 for forks, plus $550 or so for a shock.

Then you have the carbon wheels, which can easily add another $1500 or so. The carbon frames are of course costly at around $2000 to $3000 for a frame. Then you've got dropper posts, brakes, drivetrain, etc.

When you start adding up the costs of one of those $10,000 bikes and breaking it down, you can actually see why they cost so much, because they spec them out with all the top of the line parts.

Not to say you couldn't build one for cheaper, but even them you can end up getting to $5000 pretty quickly.

You can get a decent mountain bike for 2-3k though, honestly. You don't need some fully spec'd out bike like this one.

This is just me being me. Wasting money on something that is probably more than I'll ever need, but at the same time, wanting the best I can get.

I would have realistically been just fine with a $4000 bike.

Yeah, but even looking at the "budget" bikes, you're still in the $1500-$2000 range. Woof!

Yep, mountain bikes usually cost more than something like a city or hybrid bike, only because you have the suspension factor, which adds to the cost.

Forks and shocks add up, even the cheaper ones.

Nice bike, have heard a lot of good things about the Ibis line. I have a Trek Fuel EX 8 29", use a double-hitch with a Thule T1 (highly recommend Thule) so I can go to lake and trails.

20190613_153954.jpg