Ibis Ripmo

I picked up a decent hardtail with okay equipment a few years ago and did just fine. I upgraded to a nice FS last week because a lot of the trails nearby that I like to ride have a shitload of rocks and I don't feel like getting good enough to make that pleasurable on a hardtail.

Yep, I hear you there. I remember riding a hardtail in my twenties and it wasn't long before I upgraded to full suspension. The rear shock is a welcome addition over uneven terrain.

Put a deposit down on a Trek Rail 7 eMTB, but then decided after a week of debating with myself in my head that I'd rather just buy a super nice non-eMTB. The electric thing is really cool, but I know how electronics go. They are obsolete in years, more shit to go wrong, and if the motor breaks on the trail, I'm screwed.

So, I decided to buy myself a top spec Ibis Ripmo:

View attachment 154729

I figure this is a better investment to be honest, and will probably be a lot more fun for me.

My last mountain bike was 10 years ago, so I figure this is a good way to get back into the sport!

Of course I have to wait for it to arrive. Ibis told me it's about a 10 day lead time until it gets shipped to my dealer, then it will take them 2-3 days to build it.

However, they got my deposit, so he said he has one locked up and reserved for me, which is all I care about.
Ibis makes great bikes. Several of my riding buddies have them including my dentist! You will definitely have a blast riding this bike.

Ibis makes great bikes. Several of my riding buddies have them including my dentist! You will definitely have a blast riding this bike.

Yep, that's what I gathered from all the research I did on mountain bikes.

Also, this bike can be had for a lot cheaper. I just spec'd it out with all the top end stuff, which of course made it way more than the base model.

Yep, that's what I gathered from all the research I did on mountain bikes.

Also, this bike can be had for a lot cheaper. I just spec'd it out with all the top end stuff, which of course made it way more than the base model.
Amazing that you can buy a new bike for close to what you can buy a used TJ. I have a Trek Remedy 9.8 that I bought in 2015 and paid $6K for it then. I thought that was allot but not at all by today's models. I live right by Laguna Seca where they have the annual Sea Otter Classic. Cancelled for this year because of Covid-19. If you ever get a chance to go it is great. A mountain bike extravaganza.

Amazing that you can buy a new bike for close to what you can buy a used TJ. I have a Trek Remedy 9.8 that I bought in 2015 and paid $6K for it then. I thought that was allot but not at all by today's models. I live right by Laguna Seca where they have the annual Sea Otter Classic. Cancelled for this year because of Covid-19. If you ever get a chance to go it is great. A mountain bike extravaganza.

Oh man, some of the high end Trek bikes get up to 13k... it's just nuts! Like you said, pretty amazing they can cost as much as a TJ.

Monterey and that area is absolutely beautiful. If I ever make it down there again I will be sure to check that out!