Ideas on underbody air tank that might fit after Savvy MUA install

WHBNM

TOOL Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
My current setup has a 1 gallon tank mounted to stock shovel. I've seen some mounted horizontally back by fuel tank but doubt they'll fit w/out interference post tuck. I need to find a solution soon! TIA.

I have an LJ but I also have a 2.5 gallon tank bolted to the floor behind the transfer case and UA skid along the drivers side frame rail.

Reactions: Zorba
i'd like to have the ability to carry some tanked air, most 1-5gl are fat stubby's. i'd like to find something long and of a smaller diameter. a 3-5" tube a couple foot long would do it, kinda like a long fire ext. bottle.
i have several small 10-20# CO2 bottles from a paint ball gun and was thinking of using them, they could even be stashed in different locations.

There is the fundamental question of why is the tank needed in the first place. I haven't missed mine since removing it last summer.

There is the fundamental question of why is the tank needed in the first place. I haven't missed mine since removing it last summer.
It would seem that the basics of compressors and compressor storage tanks escape most. Any tank in a Jeep for the storage of compressed air in a size that does not overwhelm the efficacy of the rig is wholly useless with one very minor exception. If you run a York OBA set up and need an oil separation unit, a small tank works for that a bit. Everything else is silly and a waste of time, money, and space.

Reactions: jjvw and Wildman

I think it depends on the application. I have to have a tank for my AiRock system so I'll be trying to figure out where to remount mine. Might have to put it inside the body if I can't figure out a spot under the rig.

It would seem that the basics of compressors and compressor storage tanks escape most. Any tank in a Jeep for the storage of compressed air in a size that does not overwhelm the efficacy of the rig is wholly useless with one very minor exception. If you run a York OBA set up and need an oil separation unit, a small tank works for that a bit. Everything else is silly and a waste of time, money, and space.

What would you consider large enough to make a difference? Are we talking 5 gallon or larger?

I think it depends on the application. I have to have a tank for my AiRock system so I'll be trying to figure out where to remount mine. Might have to put it inside the body if I can't figure out a spot under the rig.

Keep in mind that the entire plumbing system after the check valve on the pump head is an air tank.

Reactions: Wildman
mounted mine here

23_zpsfee37e77.jpg

You could make your own air tank. Buy a piece of steel pipe, two domed caps, and a couple of flats for bungs. Weld it all up, drill and tap, paint it, hydrotest it, and you're good to go

What would you consider large enough to make a difference? Are we talking 5 gallon or larger?
Not hard to figure out. With the system at full shut off pressure, start airing up a tire. How long from the time you start until the compressor kicks on? That is what the tank is buying you and it is never much and never enough to justify the installation of a tank. What everyone misses is once the compressor kicks on, you are no longer working on anything to do with the tank, you are running straight off of the compressor so all the tank, its plumbing and crap gets you is that brief few seconds of compressed air before the compressor kicked on.

If you want to test how big the tank should be. Walk over to your shop compressor, look at that tank and then recall whether you wish the tank was bigger, or smaller. Now look over at your rig and see where that is going to fit.

Do you need a tank, or do you need a manifold to mount shit to?

i'm still kickin the idea of resourcing the A/C compressor. but i have more more chit to do 1st.

my compressor goes down and my front locker is dead weight unless i put the manual full time lock in. a small bottle for an emergency situation is similar to a spare u joint or engine belt or tire patch kit....................i don't expect to have to need or use it but as soon i don't have it. that's the bastard that'll go down 1st. it's under 2# while it wouldn't carry the pressure CO2 would, it's enough to cycle the locker a few times.

i'm not lookin to fill wheels or run an impact gun in the field.

I probably did the same conversions to mine to keep the oil in the bottom end. Tap and plug one hole.

Back to yours and the AiRock, how often were you able to actuate the suspension without activating the pump?

When my compressor was working correctly I could get a lot of little adjustment from the tank before the compressor came on. But after ripping a air bag and not knowing it at first I burned up my compressor and had to rebuild it. After that it seemed to run a lot more. If I'm going for full down to ride height it would get about half way up before the compressor came on.

Do you need a tank, or do you need a manifold to mount shit to?

I have both. The manifold I have has 6 ports and I use all of them.

1 for ARB
1 for AiRock
1 to tank
1 in coming air
1 pressure switch
1 pop off valve

i'm still kickin the idea of resourcing the A/C compressor. but i have more more chit to do 1st.

my compressor goes down and my front locker is dead weight unless i put the manual full time lock in. a small bottle for an emergency situation is similar to a spare u joint or engine belt or tire patch kit....................i don't expect to have to need or use it but as soon i don't have it. that's the bastard that'll go down 1st. it's under 2# while it wouldn't carry the pressure CO2 would, it's enough to cycle the locker a few times.

i'm not lookin to fill wheels or run an impact gun in the field.
My all time favorite air compressor has a tank smaller than a coffee cup on it.

Reactions: Wildman