Identify this bumper and cage

jrmcafee

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
My 1998 is a 2.5L with 35s and a 7” lift. This is how I bought it about a month ago. I don’t know what drug addict built this absurd creature, but it needs a lot of adjustment to be practically drivable.

I’ve removed the fifth wheel/tire on the tailgate and my next move is to remove the front grille guard and the interior cage if possible. It would help if anyone could possibly help me identify the make of each so I can look around for installation guides and walk them back.

Yes, I do very much intend to remove the 3” of body lift and downsize the wheel/tire. One thing at a time.

987A2529-527E-434E-8C4F-7617F3357CBF.jpeg

EAA10779-2B8C-471B-B012-1B4A4D6E3C9C.jpeg

Yeah both those are common 2000s jeep tj upgrade.

The bumper is likely the Toys by Troy but a few others copied it.

The roll cage was oddly also common they're were 3 main types - the kind you see, the type that removed the inner vents and the type we have today that bolt to the piller. Oddly everyone on the forums back then hated the piller style.

Finding a factory front bumper shouldn’t be too difficult. When it comes to removing the cage, if it isn’t fully bolted in I would just use an angle grinder with a quality cutoff wheel and follow up with a grinding disk.

@Starrs we have a multiple charge class B violation, Rubicon stickers on a badly modified 4 cylinder. I'm not sure where to start with writing this one up.....7" of lift , that's minus 300 points, the bumper -200, the rollcage, -225, the 37" tires on a 4 cylinder -350, I'm sure with all these upgrades it's geared right ......then we have the stickers ...I don't even see the setback guidelines on the stickers in relation to the hood catches.

I recommend he park the vehicle, we pull the registration, and it has to stay in an enclosed garage until it gets sorted out and we sign off.

Chris, if I'm going to keep doing this job I want health insurance. This guy's TJ is causing me to have to consider being medicated.

I'm going to make sure this one is at the top of the violations list at the March board meeting.

@Starrs we have a multiple charge class B violation, Rubicon stickers on a badly modified 4 cylinder. I'm not sure where to start with writing this one up.....7" of lift , that's minus 300 points, the bumper -200, the rollcage, -225, the 37" tires on a 4 cylinder -350, I'm sure with all these upgrades it's geared right ......then we have the stickers ...I don't even see the setback guidelines on the stickers in relation to the hood catches.

I recommend he park the vehicle, we pull the registration, and it has to stay in an enclosed garage until it gets sorted out and we sign off.

Chris, if I'm going to keep doing this job I want health insurance. This guy's TJ is causing me to have to consider being medicated.

I'm going to make sure this one is at the top of the violations list at the March board meeting.
Oh it’s parked for now.

Here’s my to-do list:
  1. New plugs and wires (backfiring); cleaned the IAC and it’s still happening
  2. It’s missing the inspection cover on the flywheel—have the part for it and need the bolts
  3. Weight loss program: lose the bumper and the cage
  4. Remove the 3” of BL
  5. Find someone to swap my 35’s for their 33’s or 31’s. Would love a Moab wheel on a shorter, more narrow tire. The Jeep is geared to account for the lift and tires but it’s still a dog for sure
  6. Paint or wrap the doors black and paint the corner armor. I swapped for full doors but they’re not color matched.
  7. Replace the soft top
I haven’t peeled off the Rubi stickers because they’ve been there a very long time and this thing was originally red. I’m afraid at the least I’ll have permanent ghosting or even end up with a multi-colored hood.

Reactions: Ron505 and Tob
Oh it’s parked for now.

Here’s my to-do list:
  1. New plugs and wires (backfiring); cleaned the IAC and it’s still happening
  2. It’s missing the inspection cover on the flywheel—have the part for it and need the bolts
  3. Weight loss program: lose the bumper and the cage
  4. Remove the 3” of BL
  5. Find someone to swap my 35’s for their 33’s or 31’s. Would love a Moab wheel on a shorter, more narrow tire. The Jeep is geared to account for the lift and tires but it’s still a dog for sure
  6. Paint or wrap the doors black and paint the corner armor. I swapped for full doors but they’re not color matched.
  7. Replace the soft top
I haven’t peeled off the Rubi stickers because they’ve been there a very long time and this thing was originally red. I’m afraid at the least I’ll have permanent ghosting or even end up with a multi-colored hood.
We may have to do it for you then. The ol' Forum rulebook always has to be followed. Can't let things get out of control.

I recently pulled my stock bumpers but think shipping would probably make it not worthwhile. Well I say stock, they have aftermarket end caps.

B5281230-1286-475B-B575-E1E54F14A410.jpeg

0AE51304-C22E-414B-A810-702D6FFECFF1.jpeg

Reactions: Tray Burge
Shoot me a PM. Most of stuff is snowed into my brothers garage behind his Chevelle so may have to wait for a melt to pull them out.

Shoot me a PM. Most of stuff is snowed into my brothers garage behind his Chevelle so may have to wait for a melt to pull them out.
Same over here man. It’s been weird having 8-9” the past week. I grew up north of KC so I thought I’d left that behind.