Idler and tensioner pulleys

Mike_H

autos are better - WRWD508
Supporting Member
My 04 4.0L started squeaking in the engine bay. Sounded like the belt, so I started looking at the idler pulleys. Wouldn't you know, the pulley on the tensioner is wobbly. The pisser of this is that its NOT that old, maybe 3 years? Anyway, I looked around and the Mopar assembly is discontinued, and the parts stores all sell the same made in China crap. I'd like to get the bearing number and just press in a new bearing, but the bearing looks to be molded into the pulley itself. Anyone found a GOOD replacement for this pulley? Its not the end of the world changing them, but I hate giving my good money to china for garbage.

Reactions: TJ Jim
I used my belt file to remove the plastic lip off the bearing and its got quite a good press. Its a standard, double sealed 6203 bearing. I may order up a timken and try pressing in a new bearing.

Reactions: Jamison C
I used my belt file to remove the plastic lip off the bearing and its got quite a good press. Its a standard, double sealed 6203 bearing. I may order up a timken and try pressing in a new bearing.

That's probably as good or better than a new Chinesium idler pulley. Those are the same bearings used on a lot of vehicles, there's 3 on my Powerstroke. I replaced them all a long time ago and kept the originals for spares, still going strong.

I just use Gates. I have Gates belts and pulleys running on 4 vehicles right now with probably 100K+ combined miles and zero issues. I've had issues with various AC Delco parts that I’ve bought over the last 5 years, so AC is off of my list. I'm interested in how the bearing replacement works out.

My 04 4.0L started squeaking in the engine bay. Sounded like the belt, so I started looking at the idler pulleys. Wouldn't you know, the pulley on the tensioner is wobbly. The pisser of this is that its NOT that old, maybe 3 years? Anyway, I looked around and the Mopar assembly is discontinued, and the parts stores all sell the same made in China crap. I'd like to get the bearing number and just press in a new bearing, but the bearing looks to be molded into the pulley itself. Anyone found a GOOD replacement for this pulley? Its not the end of the world changing them, but I hate giving my good money to china for garbage.

RockAuto has a Mopar idler. They have a Gates and a AC Delco tensioner as well. That'd be my advice. I used AC Delco belt drive components for years. No problems. As for Gates, all I can say is that the Gates timing belt kit is what mostly recommended on the 2.4, so I would imagine that quality carries over to an idler pulley.

Gates also has a kit with BOTH, plus a belt for $75 plus shipping.

Reactions: Dmboggs74
Mine started doing this a couple years ago. Replaced them with the Gates parts and the belt. Zero issues. Just in my research Gates has a good rep for belts and pulley related parts.

This is the OEM tensioner, the OEM is stamped LItens:

1708817563788.png

Keep an ear out for the noise; could turn into a barrel of monkeys

Keep an ear out for the noise; could turn into a barrel of monkeys

Ha...Funny you mention that. On a whim, I started it up without the belt...and the squeak was still there. 04 doesn't really have the OPDA issue like the 05-06 do, but it can still be an issue...I'll have to investigate.

Reactions: TRevs
Just to close this one out. I used this bearing from Timken.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08K76H85W?tag=wranglerorg-20

Its a steel shield and "standard" Clearance. It pressed in nicely and it runs nice and smooth. We'll see how long it lasts. I'll update if I have some sort of catastrophic failure, but I don't really expect one.

Reactions: BlueC