Idler Pulley Wobble

To press the bearing into the pulley; you can use a socket to fit the outer diameter of the bearing race and press it in with a vice or even a C clamp.

Thanks, Charles. I used the same process to press in and out u-joints. I have been pondering asking Santa for a small press. Pulley bearings, u-joints, axle seals... I think it would get use.

I checked Rockauto and all the 4.0's use the same idler pulley (97-06). I believe the pulley I rebuilt to be a Mopar unit, as the bearing is an NTN. The tensioner pulley on my 97 is larger, but uses the same bearing. The replacement I installed is a Made in Japan NTN I picked ebay (2 for $13 delivered). I'll post some process pics when I rebuild the Tensioner this weekend.

20221020_123306.jpg

Several years ago I replaced the idler pulley on the '01 TJ 4.0L and held onto the factory one.
Awhile back I decided to replace the bearing and keep the rebuilt pulley as a spare.
Remove the long bolt and fender washer that holds the spacer to the pulley which then allows you to slide the spacer out of the pulley bearing. Then use a 30 mm or equivalent standard socket to press out the bearing with a vise. I chose 30 mm since it will allow clearance in the hole that the bearing is pressed into.
The bearing is a NTN 6203LU with a double seal made in Japan, but I found out that all the bearings that I could locate only sealed the bearing on one side instead of both sides.
I purchased a NTN 6203LLBC3 (PN 6L025) at Grainger for $7.15. I used scotch brite to clean up the surface that the bearing would be pressed into. Used the 30 mm socket and vise to press the bearing in and then reattach the bolt, fender washer and spacer.

I checked Rockauto and all the 4.0's use the same idler pulley (97-06). I believe the pulley I rebuilt to be a Mopar unit, as the bearing is an NTN. The tensioner pulley on my 97 is larger, but uses the same bearing. The replacement I installed is a Made in Japan NTN I picked ebay (2 for $13 delivered). I'll post some process pics when I rebuild the Tensioner this weekend.

View attachment 368788

Good to know. I will be doing this soon. Thanks for sharing the legwork.

Several years ago I replaced the idler pulley on the '01 TJ 4.0L and held onto the factory one.
Awhile back I decided to replace the bearing and keep the rebuilt pulley as a spare.
Remove the long bolt and fender washer that holds the spacer to the pulley which then allows you to slide the spacer out of the pulley bearing. Then use a 30 mm or equivalent standard socket to press out the bearing with a vise. I chose 30 mm since it will allow clearance in the hole that the bearing is pressed into.
The bearing is a NTN 6203LU with a double seal made in Japan, but I found out that all the bearings that I could locate only sealed the bearing on one side instead of both sides.
I purchased a NTN 6203LLBC3 (PN 6L025) at Grainger for $7.15. I used scotch brite to clean up the surface that the bearing would be pressed into. Used the 30 mm socket and vise to press the bearing in and then reattach the bolt, fender washer and spacer.

Just checked Grainger and they have it...now $9.99, but very much worth it compared to buying a new pulley. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: CharlesHS
The top pulley is a Gates replacement with supplied bushing. I do not like this design. Should the bearing suffer a catastrophic failure, the old design will at least retain the pulley in place for a "trail" fix. The Gates will leave you stuck if it fails with the possibility of an overheated engine.

eBay item 194142547909 is 2 factory sealed NTN made in Japan bearings for about $13 delivered. I have no relationship with the seller other than being a customer.

20221021_112626.jpg

The top pulley is a Gates replacement with supplied bushing. I do not like this design. Should the bearing suffer a catastrophic failure, the old design will at least retain the pulley in place for a "trail" fix. The Gates will leave you stuck if it fails with the possibility of an overheated engine.

eBay item 194142547909 is 2 factory sealed NTN made in Japan bearings for about $13 delivered. I have no relationship with the seller other than being a customer.

View attachment 368857

Yep, I bought the Gates pulley for my 97 at O'Reilly's since it was right up the street. I did not care for the design either and returned it. I bought a Mopar one. That one didn't wobble (y)

The next time I need a pulley, honestly, I am just going to replace the bearing.

You might contact dealerships close to you and see if they have online sales website. I use mymoparparts.com which is dallas dodge. Cheaper to order online then go pick it up at the wearhouse than to use the parts counter at the dealership.

You might contact dealerships close to you and see if they have online sales website. I use mymoparparts.com which is dallas dodge. Cheaper to order online then go pick it up at the wearhouse than to use the parts counter at the dealership.

That's sound advice. I am in Cincinnati and the closest Mopar dealer I have found online with better prices than the dealership is in Akron. Too far to drive but not a long time to wait for shipping.

I asked my local dealership to give me 10% off of parts, half expecting them to laugh. The parts manager said okay. Should have asked for 20% :)