If you think your having a bad day

P0344 I believe.

I don't know what a P0344 on the TJ is. If it was P0340, I would agree that it's not likely a sync issue. That one means the PCM hasn't detected a pulse on the cam sensor signal for 5 seconds, so yes, the TJ will barely run, if at all. There are a lot of things that can cause that code, but fortunately, they are all pretty easy to check with a meter:

1719069877440.png

I don't know what a P0344 on the TJ is. If it was P0340, I would agree that it's not likely a sync issue. That one means the PCM hasn't detected a pulse on the cam sensor signal for 5 seconds, so yes, the TJ will barely run, if at all.

The P0344 code indicates that there’s an issue with the signal coming from the Bank 1 camshaft position sensor.
P0344 is usually caused by an intermittent electrical fault. That fault is usually caused by an issue coming from your Wrangler’s camshaft position sensor, or the sensor itself.

Last edited:
The P0344 code indicates that there’s an issue with the signal coming from the Bank 1 camshaft position sensor.
P0344 is usually caused by an intermittent electrical fault. That fault is usually caused by an issue coming from your Wrangler’s camshaft position sensor, or the sensor itself.

Check the wires running to the camshaft position sensor where they run over near the dipstick.
The wire loom can deteriorate and the exposed wires can rub on the brace that holds the dipstick tube.
The insulation can wear away exposing the bare wire and cause intermittent CPS issues.

I think you can pull your upstream O2 sensors to try and diagnose a plugged cat. If performance improves with the O2 out, that's a good indication that your cat is plugged.

just a warning for those that try this be ready to replace the line on your master cylinder and all the wire loom on the wire bundles near the brake booster. I only drove it less than 2 miles and its all melted !

So it definitely was P0344? Good to know. That code isn't listed in the Powertrain Diagnostics Procedure Manual for the JTEC+ PCM. They must have missed it.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
By the way, the causes for an intermittent cam position sensor signal (P0344) would be similar to that for no sensor signal (P0340), so that list I posted would be a good checklist for your P0344.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
well ordered flowmaster cat kit with all 3 cats and clutch master cylinder kit $485 I guess it could of been worse. now hopefully that fixes it 🙏

I ordered the flowmaster cat kit from Holley as recommended on a thread here. Should get it Thursday. I may wait until fall and take jeep home to Texas . My son has a mechanic that comes to his property and does work on his stuff. I would feel better having his help. I'm 78 and still do some mechanic work, but just afraid to tackle this. Jeep runs OK, just tired of check engine lights. Hopefully you will update this tread when you change cats.

I ordered the flowmaster cat kit from Holley as recommended on a thread here. Should get it Thursday. I may wait until fall and take jeep home to Texas . My son has a mechanic that comes to his property and does work on his stuff. I would feel better having his help. I'm 78 and still do some mechanic work, but just afraid to tackle this. Jeep runs OK, just tired of check engine lights. Hopefully you will update this tread when you change cats.

ordered mine from summit racing it should be here tomorrow. the clutch master cyl. hasn't shipped yet so I'll have to wait on it 😞 working at replacing the wire loom today and while I'm at it replacing some of the crap loom they used on the 05 and 06. you touch that crap and it turns to dust. I guess they saved $1 using cheaper stuff than they did on my 97 Sahara....

well finally got everything put back together and the PUMKINATOR is back in service :) :) :) . It was the cats, the honeycomb on the fwd pre cat had came loose, not stopped up as both are clean, the crap just came loose and lodged where it necks down. hopefully tomorrow I can remove the all the melted wire loom and begin to replace it :(.

well finally got everything put back together and the PUMKINATOR is back in service :) :) :) . It was the cats, the honeycomb on the fwd pre cat had came loose, not stopped up as both are clean, the crap just came loose and lodged where it necks down. hopefully tomorrow I can remove the all the melted wire loom and begin to replace it :(.

Good luck brother!!!

Reactions: tr21triton