Ignition Coil - NGK or Mopar?

How important is to put in a new one when you do a tune up? I know it's a bit of a bitch if your not already in there changing spark plugs. I'm doing a tune up this weekend. And assumed I should change the coil at the same time(?).

Replacing the ignition coil is not a typical or normal part of doing a tuneup. The only time I'd replace the ignition coil is if I knew it was having problems. For your '99 I'd confine the tuneup to a new distributor cap, rotor, and new plugs like Autolite's XP-985 (good for 200k+ miles) or the 100k mile Autolite AP-985 or Champion 3034. For the distributor cap and rotor, they come with either aluminum or brass contacts and brass is by far the longer-lasting better version.

If you can find them I'd install new Mopar ignition wiring too. Mopar's quality is unsurpassed, most ignition wiring sold in auto parts stores is low quality. Just make sure to avoid so-called "low resistance" performance ignition wiring. Low-resistance wiring sounds good but it's not, extra resistance is actually added to good quality ignition wiring to suppress ignition noise/static that can cause problems for your computer and AM or CB radios. The additional resistance does not significantly reduce the ignition voltage due to the extremely low amount of current passing through the ignition wires.

Reactions: KCsTJ
Replacing the ignition coil is not a typical or normal part of doing a tuneup. The only time I'd replace the ignition coil is if I knew it was having problems. For your '99 I'd confine the tuneup to a new distributor cap, rotor, and new plugs like Autolite's XP-985 (good for 200k+ miles) or the 100k mile Autolite AP-985 or Champion 3034. For the distributor cap and rotor, they come with either aluminum or brass contacts and brass is by far the longer-lasting better version.

If you can find them I'd install new Mopar ignition wiring too. Mopar's quality is unsurpassed, most ignition wiring sold in auto parts stores is low quality. Just make sure to avoid so-called "low resistance" performance ignition wiring. Low-resistance wiring sounds good but it's not, extra resistance is actually added to good quality ignition wiring to suppress ignition noise/static that can cause problems for your computer and AM or CB radios. The additional resistance does not significantly reduce the ignition voltage due to the extremely low amount of current passing through the ignition wires.

Thanks Jerry. I have all those parts on hand. Just hadn't considered replacing the coil while in there. Until now. But I will take your advice and just stick with the stock one (I assume) that's in there. I am going to apply dielectric grease to the fitting. Along with all the spark plugs (XP985's). As I live next to the beach and everything corrodes here. I have Mopar wires to put in too.

The only issue I'm having at the moment is low gas mileage. And the fact that I don't know how long it's been since it had a tune up. This along with a full fluid change. Are at the top of my list at the moment.

It's coming along though. I don't know if you recall my build. But it was a sun baked piece of crap 9 months ago when I bought it. You can see the huge changes in my new avatar pic. After the tune up and oil change. I'll be laying down the sound deadener and heat shield. And new carpet.

Lower than normal fuel economy can be caused by a bad upstream O2 sensor which is what the computer uses to set the air/fuel ratio. If you replace it make sure to only use an NTK O2 sensor, Bosch O2 sensors don't work well in our Jeep engines.

Reactions: Nelly
I'm so glad you posted that part number. I went to the "O2 how to" on here and took down the number for the 4 cyl by accident. I can get the correct one by saturday on amazon. thanks bud.

Considering my low mileage issue. Is it best to replace spark plugs first or O2 sensors first? And do I have to replace both upstream sensors?

I'm so glad you posted that part number. I went to the "O2 how to" on here and took down the number for the 4 cyl by accident. I can get the correct one by saturday on amazon. thanks bud.

Considering my low mileage issue. Is it best to replace spark plugs first or O2 sensors first? And do I have to replace both upstream sensors?
Your 99 only has one upstream sensor, it's only newer TJs with the pair of pre-catalytic converters that have two upstream sensors. With your mpg issue I'd replace the upstream O2 sensor first, it is most likely to help with that issue.

Your 99 only has one upstream sensor, it's only newer TJs with the pair of pre-catalytic converters that have two upstream sensors. With your mpg issue I'd replace the upstream O2 sensor first, it is most likely to help with that issue.

Which upstream sensor is it on this diagram? Because the only one we can find looks like it resides in Bank 2, Sensor 1. Or position number 3 on the diagram.

Oxygen 02 Sensor FAQ and Information - Jeep Forum.jpg

That's not the correct illustration for your 99, that's for a later model year. Again your 99 only has 1 upstream and 1 downstream O2 sensor.