Ignition / Door Key Issue

Brokenarrow

Supporting Member
My '06 Wrangler came with two keys, one with a black triangular head and the other a grey oval shaped head. I was told by the PO that the black one fits the ignition, the grey one locks / unlocks the doors. I found that they both work the ignition but only the grey one unlocks the doors, is this normal ? How is it even possible ?

once upon a time someone probably replaced the ignition key cylinder. a good locksmith can rekey to where one key does it all.

once upon a time someone probably replaced the ignition key cylinder. a good locksmith can rekey to where one key does it all.

I also got a spare key with it, so I have three. Two of them work both the ignition and the door locks, I'm just puzzled why the third one only works the ignition.

Reactions: txbemis69
I also got a spare key with it, so I have three. Two of them work both the ignition and the door locks, I'm just puzzled why the third one only works the ignition.
Are all three keys factory originals?
Are all three key cuts evenly worn?

Are all three keys factory originals?
Are all three key cuts evenly worn?

I have no idea what's original or not, I'm guessing the middle one is because of the wear. The bottom one looks to be a completely different cut but it works the ignition. Maybe the tumblers are worn / partially stripped in the ignition lock ?

364538965_1015684243185985_7004931554538790047_n.jpg

I have no idea what's original or not, I'm guessing the middle one is because of the wear. The bottom one looks to be a completely different cut but it works the ignition. Maybe the tumblers are worn / partially stripped in the ignition lock ?

View attachment 447243

The top two are definitely aftermarket and the bottom one looks suspect. Depending on how important it is to you, you can get a MOPAR key cut to your VIN at the dealer and then rebuild all of the tumblers.