Ignition problems?

jrt2nd

Supporting Member
I recently bought a 2004 TJ Rubicon. (haven't figured out how to update the info on my profile yet) It seems to be having ignition problems. It usually takes 3,4, and even 5 tries of cranking a bit and then turning it off and cranking again until it starts. Also some times (rarely) after it starts I can tell its in limp mode because it won't shift out of second. Then i turn it off and restart it and it will be fine. On a few occasions after its been running for a little bit it will start to sputter and then die. Usually starting it again will fix the problem, but yesterday when it did that I thought it was not going to restart. The ignition key is a little bit touchy so I thought maybe the actuator rod assembly was going bad, but after reading Chris's post about that problem I'm not sure because it always cranks. It's like its not always getting electricity to the PCM or something. I have a receipt from shortly before I bought it showing the ignition switch was replaced. (not the key cyl) Also I think the fuel pump might have been replaced because when I first filled it up, gas poured out of the top of the tank. I had to drop the tank and reset the rubber gasket and BIG nut.

Sounds like the fuel pump going bad. Turn the key on and off without starting it a few times to prime the fuel pump and see if it starts when you crank it.

I have tried that. It doesn't seem to change anything. It sure seems to be tied to the ignition especially with the occasional limp mode symptom. It's like it's not always making a good connection somewhere.

So, the 04 finally just wouldn’t start one morning and so I thought JKP must be right and ordered and installed a new Delphi fuel pump. I still had to cycle the key off and on but it started and I ran it down to Home depot and back with no problem. Later that evening no start again. The ignition was a bit sticky so I replaced the switch and the actuator rod. Still no go. So I started looking for bad connections or broken wires starting with the pickup where the distributor used to be. I nearly had a heart attack. It was completely loose; spun around at my touch. I think that might be my problem 😉. So now I have no idea where to set it when I lock it back down. I searched the forum but didn’t find anything. Can anybody help?

You will need to set the engine at TDC on cyl 1 and align the cam sensor. Pull up the FSM for your year under resources. Should be you tube videos as well.