I'm a little hard headed (question on control arms)

Bighammer

TJ Enthusiast
Recently I got some good advice on lift kits and components. But I think I may have ‘missed the point’ in regards to going with a 2.5” suspension lift..

I ended up piecing together my parts and ended up with some BDS 3” f&r springs. But now I’m concerned about going above the recommended 2.5” suspension lift and the effect it will have on my driveability.
3DB63748-10CA-4E8A-A12F-87B26C7AB89C.jpeg

I’m considering these Zone f&r lower CA’s which are a bit longer than stock and recommended for a 3” lift. But I’ve read that some people have bent or ripped their mounts from this setup. My question; does that happen very often? Mainly when doing serious rock crawling and significant articulation? If so, I’m less concerned b/c I don’t plan on going hard like that. My next tires (after I install the lift) are going to be 32 or 33”

thanks for your help

Generally it's best to see if you have vibes and go from there kinda like @LONGJP2 says. I wouldn't buy those arms if you do get vibes although it has nothing to do with ripping off anything, they just don't fit in any long term plan well. You might consider something like Rancho rear upper adjustable arms if you get vibes, RS66162B. You can normally get the rears through Rockauto for about the same price as those fixed arms and they still can be used if you decide to change things up in the future.

Reactions: Bighammer
Hmm, okay I might be good then 🤞😊

I also purchased some cam bolt adjusters to help with the angles

What about the possibility of bump steer? I’ve got a JKS track bar ready to go in along with the rest of the lift.

Zone is great, there just isn't much need for those arms in my opinion. The Zone 3" and 4.25" combo are really why they have the reputation they do, not the best parts but everything is in general done the right way.

Okay but I thought zone off-road was fairly well known around here as a decent budget mfg (?)
I've had the Zone combo lift on my Jeep for over 4 years now and have zero complaints. I've run them on a few of my other Jeeps too. I would only replace my stock control arms if I went with a 4" lift and then I would buy adjustable ones.
p.s. Zone, BDS and JKS are all owned by the same company. The springs are made in the USA.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bighammer
I ran a 2.5" suspension lift on my LJ for several years with stock arms. Even with a small tummy tuck combined with a MML I never had any vibrations. Unless you're going to invest in some quality adjustable arms with flex joints I would just stick with the very well designed stock arms.

Reactions: JMT
I've had the Zone combo lift on my Jeep for over 4 years now and have zero complaints. I've run them on a few of my other Jeeps too. I would only replace my stock control arms if I went with a 4" lift and then I would buy adjustable ones.
p.s. Zone, BDS and JKS are all owned by the same company. The springs are made in the USA.
Did you use the cam-bolts with your stock control arms to get a bit of adjustment?