I'm an idiot

Rooster

TJ Enthusiast
I recently bought a 1997 TJ with 233k miles on it, knowing there were some issues to address. First was a new battery and complete brake overhaul (new MC, hard lines, pads and shoes). The jeep DOES run but sounds like a diesel on the low end. Then, I found that the 32RH slips in 1st and reverse so that's going off for a rebuild. The blower switch doesn't work on high, it needed a new hood/cowl seal, dropping the skid pan/crossmember revealed all six frame nuts need to be replaced, and the front driveshaft is bent. Unfortunately, I didn't discover half of this until I owned it. I have driven it once and the auto shifts fine after it warms up but, suffice to say, buyer's remorse is creeping in. I only bought this to have something to play with while I restore my CJ7 so, I'm not forming any deep emotional attachment to it. Guess I was just looking for a pep talk...
20181127_193144.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Blondie70 and JMT
No your not.

Consider yourself dedicated to prolonging the Jeep name. Mine wasn't better. A 2000 Sahara (230K K) with a healthy list of issues including, {but not limited to}, having to cut/torch anything off that was attached to the rusty frame. Split clutch plate, blower controller issues, 2 remote starters and an alarm system tangled together. Of course the usual floor pan, seat bolts and shock mount issues.

If you ask me, your Jeep looks great and has huge potential compared to mine.

Keep the faith.

PeteTJ.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Its transmission is slipping? Did you check that it isn't just simply low on ATF which will definitely cause it to slip? To check the ATF, start the engine and shift into Neutral then check it using the transmission's dipstick coming out from under the passenger-side firewall. The engine MUST be running and the transmission MUST be in Neutral to get an accurate level indication... not to mention the Jeep must be parked on a level surface.

If the dipstick indicates it is low on ATF, make sure to only add ATF+4. If the bottle doesn't say "ATF+4" in big letters on the front label it's the wrong type of ATF.

Okay, you're an idiot. So are the rest of us. It looks like you've got a good start, and a good handle on where you need to go.
The skidplate nuts are a bad sign, but how is the rest of the frame? If you don't have much rust, you might be okay.
You know what you want, so be just like the rest of us and keep throwing money at the damn thing until you've got it where you want it.:clapclap::clapclap:

Reactions: Nicholas
I feel I got a steal on my current rig for the most part... But this is wrangler number 8 for a reason.. ;)

I feel you..

Firstly, I'm very intrigued by the mattress on the CJ. I'm assuming this was for sound-deadening purposes? I think I'll try that, next time I'm topless in my TJ.

By way of encouragement on your TJ; I've seen many metamorphoses on this site, beginning with TJ's in far worse condition than yours, only to wind up being some very sweet specimens. You have a huge family here to draw upon, as you negotiate each fix in your quest to get it ready to rock:)

Reactions: Rooster and Squatch
Its transmission is slipping? Did you check that it isn't just simply low on ATF which will definitely cause it to slip? To check the ATF, start the engine and shift into Neutral then check it using the transmission's dipstick coming out from under the passenger-side firewall. The engine MUST be running and the transmission MUST be in Neutral to get an accurate level indication... not to mention the Jeep must be parked on a level surface.

If the dipstick indicates it is low on ATF, make sure to only add ATF+4. If the bottle doesn't say "ATF+4" in big letters on the front label it's the wrong type of ATF.
Oh yeah, well past that. Changed the fluid, filter, and gasket and no joy. Besides, I'm having it rebuilt for heavy duty... at least as much as you can expect out of a 32 RH.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Firstly, I'm very intrigued by the mattress on the CJ. I'm assuming this was for sound-deadening purposes? I think I'll try that, next time I'm topless in my TJ.

By way of encouragement on your TJ; I've seen many metamorphoses on this site, beginning with TJ's in far worse condition than yours, only to wind up being some very sweet specimens. You have a huge family here to draw upon, as you negotiate each fix in your quest to get it ready to rock:)
The mattresses were a failed overlanding experiment... LOL

You only live once, and you can't take it all with you when you depart this world, my father used to say he had never seen a hurse with a hitchball/uhaul trailer behind it. So just go ahead and restore it, enjoy it, and drive it.

I have a special kind of respect for people of this generation that value old things, and go well out of their way to fix and save said old things, rather than listening to the banker, or other retarded bean counter types saying it isn't financially viable.

Another thing this Jeep will teach you is experience. By the time you finish refurbing it, you will know every nut and bolt.

Back in 2014 I got into collecting military trucks, specifically M939 5 tons. We bought an older rusted horrible condition one, it ran, but was getting parted out. I cursed that truck from the front to the back, every bolt was bad, we used the zip saw, gas axe, and air impact to break the truck down for parts. I learned a wealth of knowledge from parting that poor truck out, and went on to utilize that gained knowledge to repair my 4 military truck, a fire department truck, and other friend's trucks.

And you did pick the best color of Jeep.

It's one of a kind...I can honestly say I've never seen a flame red TJ with body-colored factory fender flares.

Reactions: ac_