Colorado In Gunnison This Week. Any Favorite Trails?

g.hayduke

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
We're taking a break from the heat in NM this week in Gunnison/Crested Butte. Will probably try Pearl Pass tomorrow but I haven't found anything saying it's definitely open. Anybody know if Pearl Pass is passable?

And if you have any favorites in the area, away from the hordes, please share. I'm not looking for anything too extreme but I'm comfortable with exposure and obstacles. My wife is with me and is more into scenery and wildflowers than rock crawling but I need a little fun too.

I've done most of the stuff around Ouray, Telluride, Silverton with the exception of the hardest obstacle on Poughkeepsie which I'm sure I can do but need a little spotting and some company next time I'm there.

Anyway, suggestions are welcome and I would like to know for sure if Pearl Pass is open. I'll probably try it tomorrow unless I hear it's not passable.

Schofield Pass makes a good long day's loop with Pearl Pass.

Do you know for sure if Pearl Pass is open? Most recent thing I found said it was still impassable with snow a couple weeks ago.

Do you know for sure if Pearl Pass is open? Most recent thing I found said it was still impassable with snow a couple weeks ago.

No idea. Bushducks.com gets a lot of updates on trails. So does trailsoffroad.

Tincup Pass is fun. You would go east from about halfway between Gunnison and CB and it turns to dirt after Taylor Park Reservoir and comes out at the ghost town of St Elmo. From there you can exit to Buena Vista or take Hancock Pass back down to US 50. Comparable terrain to what youve seen in the Ouray area.

Tincup does have a side trail called "Old Tincup" that ratchets up the difficulty, but technically you're supposed to have an OHV permit for that one.