In need of some storage and setup suggestions from members that camp and overland

Axeman

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
In need of some gear setup/storage recommendations.

Looking to get into some camping and short (3-4 day) overland trips this summer with the TJ. My 2 dogs take up the backseat, so I am pretty limited on storage inside.

I'm thinking about getting a roof/safari rack for gear storage. I'm not too worried about overhead clearance for the trails I use. I don't see too many TJ's setup with gear overhead, just RTT's (which I won't be using). I don't really like the look of the Smittybilt style tubes that connect to the frame, but it doesn't look like the Kargo Congo cage style that connect behind the rear tail lights is made anymore. I'm also concerned about not being able to put the soft top up and down with the rack permanently installed.

I was thinking about trying to mount a rear rack on my MorRyde tailgate setup. It would give me a little extra room for some light stuff with overloading the tailgate hopefully.
Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 9.04.52 AM.png

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks

The two best roof cargo racks are the Garvin Expedition Rack and the Gobi rack.

https://garvinracks.com/76-06-wrangler/expedition-rack-jeep-97-to-06-tj-wrangler
https://www.gobiracks.com/product/gobi-jeep-tj-ranger-rack/
I ended up choosing the Garvin rack for its versatility. In particular, I needed a rack that could support at least 300 lbs, mount crossbars 72" in length, and simultaneously carry long and bulky cargo.

The Garvin mounts to the body front and rear, though in the rear the mounts sit on top of the body mount/body lift puck. The Gobi mounts to the body in the front and the frame in the rear.

As for the soft top, I found if I pulled the quick disconnect for the folding sunroof feature, I could easily slide the entire top rearward off the roll cage without disturbing the rack. Alternatively, you can tilt the rack, but if the rack is loaded that can be a lot more work.

As for the tailgate rack, I have one that integrates into my tire carrier bumper. It is certainly useful for bulky items like large gear packs, coolers, etc.
20210128_175023.jpg

20200810_172324.jpg

20200810_172256.jpg

20200810_172245.jpg

20200810_172232.jpg

I ended up choosing the Garvin rack for its versatility. In particular, I needed a rack that could support at least 300 lbs, mount crossbars 72" in length, and simultaneously carry long and bulky cargo.
Thanks for this. I like the look of the Garvin rack on your rig. The tilting is perfect for being able to put the top up and down also, and it looks like you put it to the test with those canoes!

My only concern is with drilling the holes in the body, I'm not sure if I want to do that. Thats why I liked that Kargo style rack where it used the taillight holes, but I don't think its being manufactured anymore.

Take out the rear seat and build a low cabinet that allows the gods to ride on top. Make a pair of drawers 8" to 12" high depending on how much gear you carry. Easy to put in/out and now the top is easy and the dogs get a better view too🐩

Reactions: never monday
Thanks for this. I like the look of the Garvin rack on your rig. The tilting is perfect for being able to put the top up and down also, and it looks like you put it to the test with those canoes!

My only concern is with drilling the holes in the body, I'm not sure if I want to do that. Thats why I liked that Kargo style rack where it used the taillight holes, but I don't think its being manufactured anymore.
Personally I didn't have any issues drilling the holes. When I remove the rack, I simply leave the upper and lower brackets installed. They really don't look out of place unless you're specifically comparing it to another jeep.

The upper holes go into the lip of the tub, and the nuts/washers are partially hidden by the carpet, and are fully recessed anyways.

The lower hole goes into the void where the fuel venting equipment is, and doesn't affect anything.

I've never had any issues with leakage.

Reactions: Axeman
Theres nothing inherently wrong with the Smitty mounting. With good body mounts the frame and tub will stay in alignment unless your really twisting and flexing the truck at it’s limits.

Reactions: Axeman
Personally I didn't have any issues drilling the holes. When I remove the rack, I simply leave the upper and lower brackets installed. They really don't look out of place unless you're specifically comparing it to another jeep.

The upper holes go into the lip of the tub, and the nuts/washers are partially hidden by the carpet, and are fully recessed anyways.

The lower hole goes into the void where the fuel venting equipment is, and doesn't affect anything.

I've never had any issues with leakage.
I have the same rack. I don't have it on much because it's tough on gas mileage. The mounts on the rear are no problem at all. I take the mounts off on the windshield and store them until next time. It's a handful to get the rack back on top.

I have the same rack. I don't have it on much because it's tough on gas mileage. The mounts on the rear are no problem at all. I take the mounts off on the windshield and store them until next time. It's a handful to get the rack back on top.
I've found the easiest way to put on and take off the rack is to use the tilting feature and tilt it all the way to the ground. Installing/removing that first bolt is a bit awkward, but then you can just flip the rack up onto the car.

Reactions: Grant Lasson
Theres nothing inherently wrong with the Smitty mounting. With good body mounts the frame and tub will stay in alignment unless your really twisting and flexing the truck at it’s limits.
how is it with the soft top though? do you have to remove a lot of bolts if you want to put the top down or up?

After you drill the first hole the rest come easy. 😊

I'm building my own rack. I went through the body at the rear - 2 bolts per side. The angle bracket shown below has a corresponding bracket on the inside that bears most of the weight. I can remove the whole rack in about 15 minutes but I won't be doing that. My hard top stays on because I find it to be much more convenient for camping a bit better for protecting your gear.

2021-01-17 12.36.07.jpg

Reactions: DETOUR and Axeman
I think I have used nearly every packing/rack system possible through the years, including but not limited to over-the-spare racks and a short rack over the rear seat area.

I got rid of my over-the-spare rack because I didn't like the way it blocked my rear vision. It was made by M.O.R.E. and a nice piece of gear, but the disadvantages ultimately outweighed the advantages for me. Rock Hard 4x4 currently markets a well made over-the-spare rack that fits their swingaway and those of other manufacturers who use similar angles.

RH-2004-2T.jpg

An arrangement that worked well for me on my CJ-7 was to mount a small Con-Ferr roof rack to the roll cage over the rear seat area for longer trips. It was easily removable when not in use. Here is a shot of it on the Rubicon Trail:

Rubicon2000-1.jpg

My current arrangement is an interior cargo shelf behind the rear seat of my LJ. The shelf doubles the available packing space behind the seat and allows me to leave the rear seat in place even on extended backcountry trips.

LJ Interior Cargo Rack installed view 2.jpg
Packed and ready to go 05 05 19.jpgGear ready for packing 05 05 19.jpg

See: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/diy-interior-cargo-rack-for-lj.10707/

Hope this helps.

One nice feature of the Rock Hard 4x4 Rock Rack is that it is both height and depth adjustable. So you can set it high to keep vision, or low to fit bigger objects. I set mine as low as possible.

The depth adjustment also makes it easy to keep the cargo as close to the top as possible. Note that in the closer configuration, it won't allow the hardtop glass to fully open (it will allow it in the further out position). The close depth works great for a soft top.

. . . and a spare tire bag.

I forgot to mention a spare tire bag.

A Trasharoo is great for trash, but I've never liked the saggy diaper look and they don't stand up to UV light. Also, they are no longer made in the U.S.A. and are now sourced from China.

I use a Blue Ridge Overland Gear "XL Tire Bag." It is made from the same tough stuff as truck covers and has many features Trasharoos don't have such as exterior mesh pockets and the ability to cinch the bag tight so the stuff inside doesn't shift or settle. In addition to a trash bag, I keep a small shovel, canvas bucket and related items inside. A bit pricey, but worth the cost in my estimation.

Rear of Jeep.jpg

I forgot to mention a spare tire bag.

A Trasharoo is great for trash, but I've never liked the saggy diaper look and they don't stand up to UV light. Also, they are no longer made in the U.S.A. and are now sourced from China.

I use a Blue Ridge Overland Gear "XL Tire Bag." It is made from the same tough stuff as truck covers and has many features Trasharoos don't have such as exterior mesh pockets and the ability to cinch the bag tight so the stuff inside doesn't shift or settle. In addition to a trash bag, I keep a small shovel, canvas bucket and related items inside. A bit pricey, but worth the cost in my estimation.

View attachment 234251

I have Thrasheroo and you're right about the UV problem. Mine's black, or was black, and it looks "well used". Maybe lighter colours show less fading.

Re the "soggy diaper" look, I put a Rubbermaid plastic garbage bin (20 litres?) inside mine. It always looks full and it's easier to load/unload.

19-11-08 5b.JPG

Last edited:
I have Thrasheroo and you're right about the UV problem. Mines black, or was black, and it looks "well used". Maybe lighter colours show less fading.

Re the "soggy diaper" look, I put a Rubbermaid plastic garbage bin (20 litres?) inside mine. It always looks full and it's easier to load/unload.

View attachment 234264
Some of the newer bags have 4 straps so top and bottom clamp through the wheels separate instead of just over the tire

Reactions: Sancho
Some of the newer bags have 4 straps so top and bottom clamp through the wheels separate instead of over the tire

Mines about 5 or 6 years old and the straps are a bit of a pain. I cross them behind the tire and clip them into the opposite side receivers. It helps a bit.

Mines about 5 or 6 years old and the straps are a bit of a pain. I cross them behind the tire and clip them into the opposite side receivers. It helps a bit.
I use 2 inch velcro one wrap around the straps top and bottom and it slips down less, the top one stops the straps riding up on the rear of the tire when its weighted.

Last edited: