In process of 2.5 to 4.0 swap

scubasegt

Am new here not new to jeeps by far had a 56 willys m38 95 wrangler 2000 grand cherokee and now currently a 99 tj and my wife has a 98 tj. I am currently in the process of taking out the gutless 2.5 and upgrading to a 4.0 will start a new thread when I start. Goin from a 99 tj 2.5 to a 04 4.0 on a 98 3.0 frame have the engine trans and transfercase from the 04 as well as complete under the hood harness and both harnesses from a 2000 4.0 in the process of this I am adding a 6in rough country lift and thinking of taking the axels off my current frame just cause was told it's got 4.10 gears for the 2.5 only running 31s so the 4.10 with a 4.0 be nice at highway speeds I'm not dumb but not a pro either so it's gonna be a journey I'll be glad to share with you

20240306_112515.jpg

20240306_112519.jpg

20240306_163623.jpg

20231225_141851.jpg

That’s a lot of work for a 4.0. Did you think about a v-8? I hope it goes well for you. 🙂

Reactions: Apparition
I did but love the 4.0 and never had an issue with them plus already did complete body swap once so not that big of a deal to me wouldn't have to if I cleaned up my frame the first time
That’s a lot of work for a 4.0. Did you think about a v-8? I hope it goes well for you. 🙂

Reactions: JMT
  • Love
Reactions: hear
I did but love the 4.0 and never had an issue with them plus already did complete body swap once so not that big of a deal to me wouldn't have to if I cleaned up my frame the first time

You're looking at almost the same amount of work to do the 4.0 swap as it is to do a V-8 swap... Ask me how I know...
I have a 1997 Tj that started life as a SE model though I never felt like my 2.5 was gutless.

I did a Dodge Magnum 5.2 V-8 swap with a 44RE first and drove it for 8 years and then had to park it due to engine issues. There is nothing wrong with the 4.0 other than it isn't know for having that much power either. And yes your 2.5 most likely has 4.10 gears in the axles.

A couple of things:

1) You'll need new motor mounts_ I'm sure you know that but just in case.
2) you say you have a engine from a 04 TJ? Your 99 TJ runs on a CCD bus system and the 04 TJ runs on a PCI bus system. The 2000 harnesses are also CCD bus. To make the 04 engine work it will take a good bit of work.
3) Rough Country suspension systems aren't known for being that great. There are better choices out there.

You're looking at almost the same amount of work to do the 4.0 swap as it is to do a V-8 swap... Ask me how I know...
I have a 1997 Tj that started life as a SE model though I never felt like my 2.5 was gutless.

I did a Dodge Magnum 5.2 V-8 swap with a 44RE first and drove it for 8 years and then had to park it due to engine issues. There is nothing wrong with the 4.0 other than it isn't know for having that much power either. And yes your 2.5 most likely has 4.10 gears in the axles.

A couple of things:

1) You'll need new motor mounts_ I'm sure you know that but just in case.
2) you say you have a engine from a 04 TJ? Your 99 TJ runs on a CCD bus system and the 04 TJ runs on a PCI bus system. The 2000 harnesses are also CCD bus. To make the 04 engine work it will take a good bit of work.
3) Rough Country suspension systems aren't known for being that great. There are better choices out there.

Well lift already paid n shipped and for the wiring what are my challenges

Well lift already paid n shipped and for the wiring what are my challenges

The 04 engine is distributorless first off so to use that engine you'll need a 2002 or newer engine & dash harness plus a 2002 or newer dash or find a 2001 or below 4.0.
You can't blend the two harnesses together since the CCD & PCI can't talk to each other.

Reactions: P man
I really wish you had bought an older 4.0 it would have saved you time, money and aggravation. How married are you to the newer 4.0?

As far as the lift you won't find much rough country love here

Reactions: Rickyd
Dana 35 rear,4.10 gears,6in lift and any tires that won't look tiny aren't going to play well together at all.

33 would be the absolute max tire size for that rear axle.

Do a 3-4" lift of a brand that isn't garbage

Reactions: P man
Not sure used affirm to pay for it liked that it came with new springs shocks drop bracket n sway bars

I'd find out. Eventually you'll end up replacing it if you're planning on doing any wheeling. I've wheeled with people that have that lift and it can be downright scary.

It's my baby not goin hard on it just lil trail riding n daily

Dana 35's break on the street and trying to run anything over a 33" tire is just asking for it to break. If you want 35" tires then you should do it right. It'll cost you a lot more in the long run not to.