Increasing Loud Noise From Tire While Accelerating

wranglertjoz

Over the past week, i have noticed the tyre noise has been gradually becoming very loud while driving. This noise only occurs when i am rolling and not accelerating. As soon as i accelerate, the noise stops. It is a similar noise to the noise of loud over size mud tyres driving on the road and howling, though is much louder and has never previously happened with my all terrain tyres. Not sure what it is and how it can be fixed. It sounds like it is coming from the front right tyre. Though could be coming from both the front right and left.

See attached photos.

Would appreciate if someone could tell me the problem.

IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0331.jpg

Agree. When you accelerate, you take a little bit of load off the front wheels and the bearing quiets down. If you take the Jeep to a safe area, like an open parking lot, or at least on a street without traffic and rock the steering wheel back and forth as you drive, you will likely hear the sound change as well. If the noise increases as the Jeep is turning right, it is likely the bearing on the drivers side, and if it is louder when you are turning left, it is likely the bearing on the passenger side. Without some major work, the front bearings are not really serviceable. They just get replaced as a unit. It's not the hardest job in the world, if your interested in DIY. -T.

Looks like i will get new wheel bearings for both to tyres. Can someone explain to me why this has happened and if it is still safe to drive on the road until i get and install the bearings?

Appreciate the help.

Looks like i will get new wheel bearings for both to tyres. Can someone explain to me why this has happened and if it is still safe to drive on the road until i get and install the bearings?

Appreciate the help.

Well before you spend the money, check it out first. If you jack up a side at a time and you grab the tire at the 3 and 9 positions and push/pull it and it moves (you’ll most likely feel a “popping”) then you know that’s it.

If it IS, then it could have failed for numerous reasons. Large offset on rims. Large tires. Lots of off roading. Age. Manufacture defect. More info. is needed to give a good reason as to why they failed.

And one of mine failed on my 1997 Ram CTD to the point where the rotor was rubbing on the steering knuckle. I drove it another 30-40 miles until I could replace it. I DO NOT recommend it though lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
Hmmm. Hard to tell since we don't know what it normally sounds like but, does not really sound like bearings to me...they usually squeal like banshees. Could be though. Do the checks @Stox5225 suggested.

Sometimes, if the bearings are really fried, you can feel/hear them when you spin the wheel/hub by hand while you have it jacked up.

Also, try trading the suspected wheel with the one cati-corner to it. In your case, front right with rear left (then, if no change, the front left and rear right) to see if it seems to follow the tire/wheel or stays with the hub/bearings.

Note: swapping right to left assumes you do not have tires that are sensitive to rotational direction change. Most AT and MT tires are not...certainly not for short "see what difference it makes" runs.

On the subject of unit bearings...just recently on my 2001 Sport I sometimes hear a low whirring sound/slight squeak just right before I come to a complete stop. If I have my windows rolled up I can't even hear it with the hardtop on. This morning after a drive I crawled under for a good visual and to check for friction heat building up on the front wheel u-joints/unit bearings and front driveshaft u-joints...all was normal to the touch. What I did notice is when looking directly behind the front axle u-joints towards the wheel I can see some grease glistening from the unit bearing area. Did my seal give out or is it normal to see a small amount of grease there? Jeep has always been bone stock coming up on 60,000 miles....just wondering if age alone has eaten away the seal?

Last edited:
On the subject of unit bearings...just recently on my 2001 Sport I sometimes hear a low whirring sound/slight squeak just right before I come to a complete stop. If I have my windows rolled up I can't even hear it with the hardtop on. This morning after a drive I crawled under for a good visual and to check for friction heat building up on the front wheel u-joints/unit bearings and front driveshaft u-joints...all was normal to the touch. What I did notice is when looking directly behind the front axle u-joints towards the wheel I can see some grease glistening from the unit bearing area. Did my seal give out or is it normal to see a small amount of grease there? Jeep has always been bone stock coming up on 60,000 miles....just wondering if age alone has eaten away the seal?
This sounds like a job for Photo Man and New-thread Boy! 🦸‍♂️
First, so as not to hijack the OP's thread, post your question in a new thread ("Post thread" button) (y). When you do, be sure to include a picture or two (or three) of the issue you're seeing (glistening grease) so we can get a look at your situation.
Without further info, I wonder if you are having a braking issue. When you hear this sound, if you let off the brakes (if you can), does the noise stop? If it does, it sounds like a brake system issue like, possibly, contaminated brake pads.

Haha no need to apologize for the hijack mate, all good. Obviously just want to get down to the root of the problem.
To give you an insight on how it usually sounds, its noway near as loud as that. I have all terrain tyres on now. Very soft sound. The sound in the video, is very loud and when i slow down i can hear a slight grind sound. I don't think it has anything to do with the breaks, the noise does not change when i break. It is apparent when i am rolling. As in, not accelerating. This noise happens whether i am in gear or not.

Have you checked the fluid levels in your differentials?

I'm agreeing with @Stox5225; you need to jack it up and do some checking. If you place both sides of the rear axle on jack stands so that neither rear tire is touching ground and then run it a bit in first gear (make sure you are in 2 wheel drive!), does it make the noise? Play around with the brakes with this setup as well to see if they still have no effect.
NOTE: be very careful when running a vehicle that is aven partially on jack stands. Never let anyone get in front of the vehicle or anywhere near to being under it while it's being run.

The rear differential would have been involved in that test (although, not under load).
It could also still be front bearings/U-joints/differential. You can check for U-Joints by simply removing the front drive shaft at the U-joints and taking her for a spin to see if that stopped the noise.

So I’ve taken it to a mechanic and he said it’s the rear diff. Loose pinion bearing?

Could this be the case? If so, would I need an entire new diff or can this be repaired without doing so?

Hm. I suppose that could be. Before spending the money, pop the cover off and take a look. Jiggle things around. Do the same to the front as that’s always spinning as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk