Inner axle seal

Teddyyy

Hey guys I got some question first time jeep buyer and i had to replace the inner axle seals on dana 44 i already took everything apart and just trying to put everything back but the longer axle is having trouble going in do i need in special tool or whats going on

The passenger side shaft can be a little tricky to get installed. You need to support (lift up) the splined end in order to get it thru the seal. I've found that some grease on the end helps to keep it moving and lowers the chance of damaging the new seal. Just be patient and keep after it. Once it's past the seal it will require a little more pressure and rotating to seat the splines into the carrier. No special tools required though.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
There are no special tools required to reinstall the axle. If it won't slide in with some small, slow rotation (it is splined) then something is wrong. Are you sure you are clearing the seal lip? You have to get the axle centered in the seal to get through.

I already got the cover on idk if I have to take it off again the seal in passing the seal on the passenger side but wont go in any futher only have a 1in or 1 1/2 left before

Guys im still having trouble, could it be i did something wrong with the differential
Did you try some grease on the splines to aid in the insertion? If you're within an inch or so from being fully seated then you're already thru the seal and getting hung up on the carrier splines.

Last edited:
Order of operations: I would install the diff cover after getting the axle installed. You're flying blind now when you don't need to. You may need to pull the diff cover off again to see what is happening. Were you extremely careful to re-install the bearing cap and bolts in the same locations as they were removed? Did the carrier/bearings "sit" perfectly? Are the bolts torqued appropriately? It won't take much variation to cause an issue.