Inside-Out Build—2006 LJ

Didn’t even remove the wheels, I like it😉

Haha. I would have left them on if I could, but I had to take them off to remove the calipers and to get the axle low enough to unseat the springs. But they are MUCH easier to move around with the tires on, or at least the stock one was. Seems like the control arms balance out the steering so it just stays in whatever position I put it in. The built axle though, didn't want to do that. The heavier steel LCAs just want to hang down to the ground and drag or bind up.

I got bolts into the control arms on both rigs. TJ is on its own weight and front driveshaft connected. I had to fish a bolt and washer for the Savvy UCA out of the frame of the TJ after I dropped it in there. Then my Bluetooth speaker battery got low so I called it a night.

2020-12-28_21-59-49-01.jpeg

the LJ is supporting it's own weight, axle is centered. I decided to do a how-to for YT on an all-adjustable 5-link solid axle alignment so I was going slower and quit at 11pm still needing to square the axle and make the last caster adjustment.

Interesting things to note:
1. I only ended up with 3.5" above stock ride height on both ends. So the rear is about where it was with 5.25" of uptravel, but I've lost about 3/4" in front. The ride height in itself isn't a big issue for me, but that means that with my 11" Ranchos in front, I only have about 4.25" of uptravel. I didn't use the TJ springs - I used the ones already on the LJ because they are much cleaner, had about the same free length as the TJ springs, and I wasn't sure the TJ springs would net the same ride height on the LJ with the extra weight. I eventually want to go with 4" Currie springs but it was low on the priority list. It might move up to a simultaneous upgrade with the body lift and 35s or maybe I'll just bite the bullet and do it now. I'm getting tired of setting up my suspension and would like to just have it be done - I've been doing one upgrade at a time over the past 2 years and have lost count of how many times I've done it.

2. Possibly thanks to the reduced ride height, my Currie track bar would not go short enough to fully center the axle. It's about 5mm to the passenger side - probably could have used 2 more threads. It may have been that way on the TJ as well, but I wouldn't have known because I wasn't trying to center it as precisely. This time I used blaine's "alignment pistol" method with the bumper centerline, grill body mount and a plumbbob. I had it centered within 1mm and ended up having to go off center to get the track bar on. I suppose the good news is when I do get taller springs, maybe the height will bring it to center without having to adjust it again.

This video mostly repeats stuff already said in this thread, but in video form complete with my novice video skills.

Went ahead and ordered a pair of 4" Currie / Rockjock springs for the front.

I'll do the rears next time I have a reason to mess with the rear suspension... Likely when I do a tuck.

Reactions: tworley
Rockjock springs showed up. I don't know what I have to buy to get a sticker from them or Savvy but it seems like sub-$1k stuff just doesn't do it. :ROFLMAO:

Compared to the brand-unknown springs I had before (which provided about 3" lift and were used with a 3/4" coil spacer):

IMG_20210107_212845.jpg

Driver side at full droop (with 11" Ranchos on stock mounts) puts one of the coils under the bump stop cup. It doesn't take a lot of compression to bump it over so it's not a violent transition, but I don't really like it rubbing and opening up a spot in the powdercoat. Pretty sure I had the same issue with the other springs, but they already looked like crap so I didn't really care.

IMG_20210107_222204.jpg

I can't get the axle any farther forward without track bar interference at full bump, and it would have to go A LOT to relieve this - enough that I don't think there's really any way around it with short arms. I suppose the shape of Rockjock's cupless upper bump stop might be to address this and maybe I need to finally step up from my $20 bump stop solution. YAY MORE MONEY!

1610121125714.png

I'm actually less peeved about the money than I am how ridiculously more time-consuming it is to install and remove springs now that I have to use a spring compressor to get them in and out. I am zero units excited about doing that again.

Reactions: Chris
Don't use spring compressors. Just let the axle go to full droop buy unbolting the steering, driveshaft, track bar, etc. It's much easier that way I've found.

I could get my last set of springs in and out without disconnecting anything - just jacking up one side would lower the opposite side enough. The problem is my stupid Rough Country LCA's with their ridiculously oversized bodies hit the back of the lower shock mount and once that happens, it's going NOWHERE.

20200422_221008.jpg

I clearanced the mounts this summer when I got the 11" Rancho's, so they'll outdroop the shocks now but still not enough for the Currie springs. So you're onto something - but the thing I need to disconnect is the LCA's. Fortunately, those bushings are rubber so I've only slid the bolts in and haven't torqued them yet so it'll be easy. Not sure why I didn't think of it last night. Oh yeah I am. Because it was 11pm in a 40 degree garage and I was pissed at the disappointment of starting the night thinking I might have it driveable before going to bed. :ROFLMAO:

I could get my last set of springs in and out without disconnecting anything - just jacking up one side would lower the opposite side enough. The problem is my stupid Rough Country LCA's with their ridiculously oversized bodies hit the back of the lower shock mount and once that happens, it's going NOWHERE.

View attachment 216383

I clearanced the mounts this summer when I got the 11" Rancho's, so they'll outdroop the shocks now but still not enough for the Currie springs. So you're onto something - but the thing I need to disconnect is the LCA's. Fortunately, those bushings are rubber so I've only slid the bolts in and haven't torqued them yet so it'll be easy. Not sure why I didn't think of it last night. Oh yeah I am. Because it was 11pm in a 40 degree garage and I was pissed at the disappointment of starting the night thinking I might have it driveable before going to bed. :ROFLMAO:

Ahhh, Iv'e seen this happen before, yes.

I just know that I made the mistake of using spring compressors on my first TJ when installing a lift and recall what a nightmare they were. The second time around I dropped the axle and it was much easier.

40 degrees in the garage... you need a space heater :LOL:

Ahhh, Iv'e seen this happen before, yes.

I just know that I made the mistake of using spring compressors on my first TJ when installing a lift and recall what a nightmare they were. The second time around I dropped the axle and it was much easier.

40 degrees in the garage... you need a space heater :LOL:

Oh I have one. It's a Mr Heater "Big Buddy" 18,000 BTU indoor propane heater that I use an adapter to run off a 20lb BBQ tank instead of the little 1lb camp stove Coleman type cans that it will burn through in an hour. It heats up the garage pretty fast, and even when I first turn it on and it's still cold out there, the heat radiating off of it for a few feet is really nice.

The problem is it's supposed to be rated for elevations up to 7,000' and I live at 7,300', so I think I'm just at the verge of it tripping off on it's low oxygen sensor, because it will run long enough to get the garage up to about 50 and then shut off. I'm not a combustion expert but I think low oxygen is one of those conditions that contributes to the production of carbon monoxide, so once it shuts off I just leave it alone rather than pushing it. After that it's just the little 1500W electric space heater and it just can't keep up when it's in the teens outside.

Reactions: Chris
Don't know if their bump stop kit is just low volume or what but everywhere I found it, it was no stock or drop ship from manufacturer with estimated ship dates around end of month. Fortunately I found some on ebay that will be here Tuesday.

It occurs to me that I have no idea how to set them. Specifically how much give do I count on for the poly? Do I set them just like the hard cups? Or do I count some of the poly as jounce bumper?

I found them in stock at northridge4x4 in December. I also talked with rockjock4x4 in December and they said the tj/lj platform is their number 1 selling platform so they will continue to support it. If you call they can give you an update. I also only got stickers after purchasing from northridge. Im building an LJ and am across the freeway from you.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I found them in stock at northridge4x4 in December. I also talked with rockjock4x4 in December and they said the tj/lj platform is their number 1 selling platform so they will continue to support it. If you call they can give you an update. I also only got stickers after purchasing from northridge. Im building an LJ and am in Monument as well!
Ha, no kidding. I'm in Woodmoor east side of the golf course. If you tell me you're in my neighborhood that'll be something else, but even if you're not, welcome to the forum! I think @dogbreath650 is in Monument alsoo. Not sure what area but in a town this size it doesn't really matter, lol.

I think I was the recipient of all the savvy stickers 5 years ago :LOL: I ordered the UA system and I think I ended up with 8 savvy stickers in the box.

wth! lol.

The priciest thing I've bought from them is my LJ sliders for ~$700 shipped. I figured surely there'd be a sticker in there after not getting any with a cable shifter or single pairs of control arms.

The biggest thing I've bought from Currie or Rockjock is still the $400 track bar. No sticker.

My wife had a hearty laugh a few weeks ago in the garage. She was watching me work on something and grabbed a slim cardboard envelope only to find my sticker stash. Been saving them for the day I get a tool box in the garage.

20201214_190543.jpg

My wife had a hearty laugh a few weeks ago in the garage. She was watching me work on something and grabbed a slim cardboard envelope only to find my sticker stash. Been saving them for the day I get a tool box in the garage.

View attachment 217224

I've got a lot of the same ones on the inside of the tailgate on the TJ. Gonna have to start over with the LJ.