Installed rear springs upside down: How much of a dumbass am I?

Makes sense. Well I'm in it for the long haul, so there's always "next time." Will it really limit my up travel? I know builds can get insane, but for a mildly aggressive trail rig, am I losing a lot?
Depends on a few factors. If your uptravel is being currently limited by your shocks, are you planning to outboard? If not, is your uptravel being limit by tires hitting the body? If neither, and you uptravel is being limited by the springs, then yes it matters. If it’s the first two, then your good :)

Reactions: rubigold
Depends on a few factors. If your uptravel is being currently limited by your shocks, are you planning to outboard? If not, is your uptravel being limit by tires hitting the body? If neither, and you uptravel is being limited by the springs, then yes it matters. If it’s the first two, then your good :)
Right on. Those are questions I can't answer 😂 but thats what I was figuring. I was actually just looking at potentially getting outboard shock mounts because I have to replace one of the upper rear coil buckets since the bump stop cup is rotted through and ready to break off. Right now I'm running 32in tires, so I doubt those will limit my up travel at the moment, but once I go bigger that may be a different story.

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat
Right on. Those are questions I can't answer 😂 but thats what I was figuring. I was actually just looking at potentially getting outboard shock mounts because I have to replace one of the upper rear coil buckets since the bump stop cup is rotted through and ready to break off. Right now I'm running 32in tires, so I doubt those will limit my up travel at the moment, but once I go bigger that may be a different story.
Sounds like the MC springs should present zero issues for a while until your build get to the point in years to come where you want to switch. Also, upside down makes no difference - you’re good!

Sounds like the MC springs should present zero issues for a while until your build get to the point in years to come where you want to switch. Also, upside down makes no difference - you’re good!
Thanks for the chat! I'll probably still flip them to save myself from the embarrassment 🤣 I'll probably just wait until I have to pull them to replace the upper bucket. I'll be posting a thread about that if I can't find the info here

Thanks for the chat! I'll probably still flip them to save myself from the embarrassment 🤣 I'll probably just wait until I have to pull them to replace the upper bucket. I'll be posting a thread about that if I can't find the info here
When you replace the bucket you can center it in the wheel well if you want while you’re in there.

When you replace the bucket you can center it in the wheel well if you want while you’re in there.
You mean to correct the bowing? Plan on it! Trying to figure out the whole setup. Have a recommendation? I'd consider outboarding the shocks if it made sense

What’s your goal with the jeep? Trail only? Daily driver? Mix? Tires size and lift height? Flat belly?
🤣 theres the million dollar question. Trying to figure it all out. What I can say is that this is not a daily driver. It'll see a mix of trail and road, but this is a "fun" vehicle for me. Right now I have the 3.5in metalcloak springs, and savvy aluminum short arms. Factory skid on there now, but I like the idea of a "flatter" belly, so potentially MML and/or BL if necessary with a high clearance skid. Right now I have 32in tires but my goal is for 35s. Not sure I'd go larger, but time would tell

If you got a true 3.5 inches of lift with those springs then you have 5” of available uptravel before the springs go “solid” (fully compressed). How much shock shaft is there with the vehicle sitting at ride height? If more than 5” then your springs are the limit, if less then the shock is the limit.

If you got a true 3.5 inches of lift with those springs then you have 5” of available uptravel before the springs go “solid” (fully compressed). How much shock shaft is there with the vehicle sitting at ride height? If more than 5” then your springs are the limit, if less then the shock is the limit.
Good question. I've got the shock boots on there, and they're rigid, so it's hard to say how much up travel the shocks would allow for. 5 inches sounds like a good amount, no?

Depends on what your are after with the larger build plan and build philosophy. If you want to build shock travels with a 50/50 travel split, then Metalcloak isn't going to work. But if you want a down travel monster...
I wish more people got this!

Reactions: jjvw
Good question. I've got the shock boots on there, and they're rigid, so it's hard to say how much up travel the shocks would allow for. 5 inches sounds like a good amount, no?
You can measure eye to eye at ride height and look up the specs on the shock and do a little math.
But cutting the useless boot off is easier.

MC rocksport shocks? i liked them on the street, but not off road.

IIRC
19.5 is a mid split on the back, and 21.5ish in the front.
the MC rear 3.5" lift springs stack solid at 6.5" and the fronts are stacked at 8".