Installed some sound deadening

connor grimes

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
After some help from the forum I layed some 80mil sound deadening on the entire tub and pretty much doubled up on the wheel wells , and tunnel , and inside doors . then added some 150mil foam , didn’t have quite enough of the foam to cover everything so I used where I could . This job was easy but requires lots of time and elbow grease . Going up the firewall takes awhile as you have to cut a bunch of puzzle pieces shapes to fit in there but worth it. I’ll be honest , it didn’t quiet the Jeep down nearly as much as I thought it would and was kind of disappointed after the many hours spent doing the job. However , my cheap RC vinyl softop is most certainly the culprit and once I can afford the twill bestop im hoping to cut down on majority of the noise . For anyone curious 65mph pre sound deadening was 88DB, after laying 60lbs of sound deadening material this dropped down to 84DB .

BCF9029A-9933-4F25-A2E2-37434258B6C3.jpeg

45B81335-5F3F-4FCB-9D35-194577670639.jpeg

C6956579-C7AC-4F4B-9B88-F6983F12331D.jpeg

Reactions: 02SteelBlue
I would like to report the same. I did the same thing you did and I could tell it was quieter but not impressed that I spent multiple hours for a bit of a difference. I too chopped it up to having a cheap soft top that i'll be replacing with a bestop twill soon.

Reactions: connor grimes
Yeah adding about 60 pounds of weight to quiet the jeep down and net a small result was disheartening but from what I’ve gathered my thin soft top is contributing lots of noise when compared to a hardtop or twill top .

Reactions: D M
There's a thread somewhere here where a guy took lots of decibel readings at various speeds and situations. I think it turns out the engine is making the majority of noise in the TJ at speed.

I did the same. But also replaced my aftermarket soft top with oem. And added heat shield. Huge improvement all the way around. Took my stereo from barely hearable to nice sounding.

I would agree that your sound deadening is being overshadowed by a thin top. I think if you replaced the top. Then sound deadened. Youd see improvements.

I did the same. But also replaced my aftermarket soft top with oem. And added heat shield. Huge improvement all the way around. Took my stereo from barely hearable to nice sounding.

looks like my eventual plan will yield better results , I plan on following what you suggested

Just an FYI cranking the stereo does not drown out the noise, I have a good upgraded sound system and when I would crank it to drown the noise it would just deafen me. Yesterday I just installed Noico 80 mil sound deadener and Bedrug carpet to go with it and words cannot describe how much quieter the ride. Speakers sound much better too.
IMG_0755.jpg

Reactions: JMT and Jamison C
Just an FYI cranking the stereo does not drown out the noise, I have a good upgraded sound system and when I would crank it to drown the noise it would just deafen me. Yesterday I just installed Noico 80 mil sound deadener and Bedrug carpet to go with it and words cannot describe how much quieter the ride. Speakers sound much better too. View attachment 233312
Hey, nice job, I have Bedrug also. How many ft2 did it take, did you cover entire interior, up the firewall too?

Reactions: D M
I did the 80 mil only on the tunnel and a bedrug, just to cut the heat. The bare floor with a thin worn oem carpet would cook me in the summer. Problem solved! I have a tummy tuck which really got it cooking.
80 mil what? Butyl? That thing will simply transfer heat and be just as hot as the surface you put it on.

Very meticulous, and good work.

The reason ppl discover the juice isn't worth the squeeze is because covering your whole interior with CLD tiles is the incorrect use of the product. Properly done, (IMHO) requires the use of several products, not just CLD tiles.

I did my tub with Hotheads Sound Assassin and BedRug after driving the NTM LJR only 50 miles. So, with nothing to compare, the improvement in sound and heat is entirely up to my imagination, so I will make it whatever I want. I deem it to be an amazing improvement. :LOL: