Installed Spare Tire Delete

I run my spare in the cab, even w/ an OBA and plugs. Road like crap w/o the extra weight in the back.

image.jpg

Last edited:
You could save around $2,250/year by driving a Civic. ;)

Gotta buy the Civic and then pay insurance. I was looking at my fuel costs the other day and I’m at $15k since I got the Jeep on Dec 23, 2016. Mileage was 46k and now 113k.

You could save around $2,250/year by driving a Civic. ;)

Like I said, MPG doesn’t matter to me, I am usually making it worse on purpose. But some people might care. Times are tough out there.

I do pay attention to weight for other reasons.

Gotta buy the Civic and then pay insurance. I was looking at my fuel costs the other day and I’m at $15k since I got the Jeep on Dec 23, 2016. Mileage was 46k and now 113k.

I don’t understand spending a lot of money to save a little on gas. I set up phone systems for businesses, when all the COVID craziness was at its peak and gas prices were high, I was workin on a system for a car dealership. I was troubleshooting their call recording config and I happened to hear a conversation where a guy called in looking to spend 90k on an EV to save on gas. I could do the math but I am too lazy to figure out how many miles he would need to drive before the savings on gas would offset the cost of the vehicle.

Reactions: BlueC and JMT
I delivered mail and newspapers with my XJ because it was all I had at the time. I spent $3,000 on a low mileage Scion. The gas savings paid for the car in 18 months. I've had it for 6 years now and drive it for long distance drives only. I NEVER drive the Scion otherwise and prefer to throw away money paying for gas for my Jeep.
XJ BEST.jpg

Scion.jpg

Reactions: BlueC
Gotta buy the Civic and then pay insurance.

I did just that in '19 or '20 to get my wife out of my truck. 14 mpg vs 35 mpg, tires, insurance and general maintenance coast 1/3 for the Civic vs truck. I actually put the math down on paper and with $2.50/gal fuel cost (at that time), the $6,000 '10 Civic was projected to hit breakeven in 3.5 years. Then the current admin was installed and prices hastened that breakeven point.

Just to drive that point a little, we drove the Civic on a 550 mile trip recently and that cost right around $40 in fuel (38mpg average). My truck on that same trip cost $160 just a few months before.

• USA Proud
Reactions: TheBoogieman
I dumped that goofy ass looking spare rack, bracket, whatever the hell it is 3 years ago & never looked back, couldn't stand thing hanging off the back of the rig. DDing, wheeling it or long distance driving regularly may be a different story, of which I do none, so I'll deal with a flat if it happens another way... one of which is, as I'm never all that far from home, just snag a ride back home to grab my spare which collects dust in my garage & pop it on.

Never considered the gas mileage aspect, doubt it has any noticeable impact, just like the clean look is all

TJ rear.JPG

TJ rear 2.JPG

TJ rear 3.JPG

I delivered mail and newspapers with my XJ because it was all I had at the time. I spent $3,000 on a low mileage Scion. The gas savings paid for the car in 18 months. I've had it for 6 years now and drive it for long distance drives only. I NEVER drive the Scion otherwise and prefer to throw away money paying for gas for my Jeep.
View attachment 500012

View attachment 500013

Your situation, and many others, make sense. A lot of others don’t, just trying to justify spending money, either to yourself or someone else. Like a locking hub conversion to save on gas. Or a 90k EV.

Ok, I broke down and did the math, at your stated 17.5 MPG you would have to drive 315,000 miles to break even, that’s if gas was $5/gallon like it was for a brief time when I heard the conversation and not todays price. I paid $2.40 yesterday. And that still doesn’t cover tax and interest on the 90k.

The spare delete is clean looking. I personally would never go wheeling without a spare. What are the best options for carrying the spare inside?

I used the stock system where the terminal touches when the tailgate is closed. The light just has a power and ground wire. Ground inside the tailgate. Run the power to the tailgate connector. Inside the rear passenger wheel well connect power from the tail light to the other side of the tailgate connector.

So you don't have a third brake light anymore?
These license plate holders have 2 lights one for the third brake light and one to illuminate the plate.
I wanted both to still work properly. So I am still using those stock connectors, the yellow wire I ran is for the other light.
I am trying to see if there is a better way to do it.

These license plate holders have 2 lights one for the third brake light and one to illuminate the plate.
I wanted both to still work properly. So I am still using those stock connectors, the yellow wire I ran is for the other light.

I ran mine thru the tailgate. PO had removed the 3rd brake light.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ahh ok,
I think with mine I just need to put the wire in that same plastic loom. The problem I have is sometimes when I close the gate it closes on the wire.
I twisted it to make it like a spring but that didn't last very long

Correct, no 3rd brake light. It's not required in WA, but it is in some other states. Sounds like you have a good solution with the yellow wire.

If you can avoid the loom and use the stock contact connector I think it will look cleaner.

I have the same one. I didn't think to paint the chrome trim black, it looks good. Its been 2 years now since putting the license plate kit on and the paint is starting to fade. My spare goes in the back for now. When I go 35's it'll go back there but I'll need a more creative setup to slide it in/out.
xh3yTa2.jpg

I happened to hear a conversation where a guy called in looking to spend 90k on an EV to save on gas. I could do the math but I am too lazy to figure out how many miles he would need to drive before the savings on gas would offset the cost of the vehicle.

That assumes he would keep the vehicle until it was worthless. If that EV had a higher resale cost he might have sold it after three years. Andy