Installing Exhaust Vent in Hard Top

Just Relax

So the hard top on my Jeep I bought was missing the passenger exhaust vent. The one I have is the long skinny vertical one behind the side glass. I purchased a new one to put in.

This is the first question I've had that doesn't seem to have much information on. Removing is frowned up as the tabs break but it seems adding one isn't discussed much. The part fits and is correct I believe, but it's loose. It doesn't appear that there is anything to snap it in place. Is it suppose to fit in tight? It's almost like the foam should have a sticky side to keep it in place. As it is I'm sure if I just put in it will blow out going down the highway. I think the drivers side is stuck to the top with some type of adhesive, not just snug or snapped in place. Any help would be appreciated!

I've never taken one out or installed one, but I believe it's supposed to just snap in place. It shouldn't be glued in there or held in any other way.

Reactions: TJTJ04
I’ve taken mine out a few times, it’s very easy to damage these and if you have old ones or used parts the foam has usually deteriorated over time and the plastic tabs have lost their tension.

You could try getting more sticky back foam type stuff. I wrapped old boot laces around the vents and under the plastic hinges on mine to stretch them outwards

Just removed mine for repair, gently pull on it and it will pop out.

Now out in the daylight I think I understand. So the fragile tabs are supposed to snug it in place. My opening seems to be slightly oversized for whatever reason. It fits and doesn’t really wiggle, it’s just loose. There’s nothing keeping the whole assembly from sliding back out when it’s all the way in. I’m thinking the solution may be to put some thin rubber strips behind the tabs to give it that grip on the cover piece and let the tabs expand to grab the backside of the opening. It’ll be tomorrow morning before I get to a hardware store to pick up a rubber sheet and give it a go. I’m open for better ideas in the mean time.

Was this permanent or did you eventually remove the laces?
I removed the laces as it was just to push the tabs back outwards while I have the hardtop off during the summer and respraid it
Now out in the daylight I think I understand. So the fragile tabs are supposed to snug it in place. My opening seems to be slightly oversized for whatever reason. It fits and doesn’t really wiggle, it’s just loose. There’s nothing keeping the whole assembly from sliding back out when it’s all the way in. I’m thinking the solution may be to put some thin rubber strips behind the tabs to give it that grip on the cover piece and let the tabs expand to grab the backside of the opening. It’ll be tomorrow morning before I get to a hardware store to pick up a rubber sheet and give it a go. I’m open for better ideas in the mean time.
it should go all the way in until the hear it click the tabs stop it from being pulled back out

That’s exactly the video that I was looking for. My assembly separates on the back side where the plastic tabs connect way too easy then. I can hear the clicks but it slides back out with very little effort. So I guess I need to secure the back tabs better than it came to me. Thanks for all the help!

Heres a pic of where I’m talking about for future search reference.

image.jpg

I finally had time to stop by the store last night. Picked up some JB Weld two part epoxy with a fine nozzle and applied in all the holes where the small insert tabs seated then flipped over and applied to the back. Let it set overnight and installed this morning. It snapped on like it should. Again thanks for the replies!

30D22649-F4D1-4496-97B9-A90EF253F831.jpeg

E7E51030-14A9-4DA2-BE42-E54873FB64D8.jpeg