Installing Handles Inside Hardtop For Easier Removal

silvertj

Hello, fellow TJ fans,

After a few years of hiatus, I have recently become a proud TJ owner once again!
This time, the Jeep is in need of more TLC than the last one, so it looks like I'll be using the forum quite often (thanks for all the info btw).

As for my first post, I have a question regarding the possibility of installing some handles INSIDE the hardtop.

Once the weather starts warming up, I would like to take the top off, but it would need to be performed all by myself. I know it is possible to remove the top by myself, but to make that process easier and safer, I was thinking maybe I could install some handles inside the top to grab onto. Has anyone done this before?

I saw this product, and thought maybe I could install them in reverse order/opposite side so the handles are inside the top, as opposed to being on the outside.
https://www.quadratec.com/p/teraflex/hard-top-handle-kit-wrangler-jk
Do you think it will work if I remove the exterior vent exhausters, anchor the handles in there so they end up on the inside of the top? That way, I could put the top on my back, grab onto the handles, and safely move it around...

I'd love to hear what you all think, and if you have any other alternative options, please do share!

Thanks a lot!

Personally, I wouldn’t want handles sticking out for stuff to catch on. And I wouldn’t want to drill any holes in my top.

They make sling arrangements that make taking the top off a one person job, I’d be leaning towards getting something like that.

But that’s just me.

Reactions: D M and Ocho
Thank you!

I feel a little apprehensive about drilling any holes in my top too, that's why I was thinking maybe it's okay if I drill inside the vent exhauster slot.

I'll definitely consider some sling arrangements. Do you have any recommendations?

Ah, I should have mentioned that I don't have a place to install the hoist system, or keep a lift.

As I live in an apartment (but, thankfully a ground floor unit), I'd have to take off the top, put it on my back, walk it over to my patio, and keep it there on a cart/dolly standing up. That's why I thought installing handles was the best idea for my situation.

Thank you for the suggestion anyway! I wish I could take the easier route like that - haha