Installing longer springs without spring compressors—What did I do wrong?

TJim

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Hey everyone,

Some weeks ago, I installed a 2" lift. So, I removed everything without a problem. I had a problem installing the new longer springs, so I used a spring compressor that I'd borrowed from a friend just in case I needed it.

The thing is that I need to do it again, because I decided to change the shocks and set up the bump stops for the new ones. The ones I bought run short.

I will write down the steps that I did, so you can tell me what I am missing:

1) Jack up the TJ
2) Add jack stands at the frame (behind control arm brackets)
3) Remove shocks
4) Unbolt track bar (axle side)
5) Unbolt sway bar end links
6) Droop the axle

The axle couldn't go any lower, and the springs (OLD MAN 932/941) didn't have any chance fitting without a spring compressor.

Did you remove the tires? I don't see that step, although you could have just forgot to write it down.

It is weird with shocks, track bar and sway bar disconnected, you still don't have enough droop. Post up a pic. Might need to listen to this guy ^^^ and disconnect lower control arms from axle end BUT that seems extreme. What coils did you get?

Did you remove the tires? I don't see that step, although you could have just forgot to write it down.

It is weird with shocks, track bar and sway bar disconnected, you still don't have enough droop. Post up a pic
haha yes of course I removed the tires. I just didn't write it down. Good catch.

The only thing I did not is loosen up control arms that @Brianj5600 mentioned above.

Anything else besides loosening up control arms?

You should mention even the obvious ones, since I might be missing them. haha

I can literally jack up my front by my front bumper, and I have enough droop for the coils to unseat themselves. With the removal of shocks, they come out easily

Reactions: pc1p
Did you have the Jeep on 6 ton jack stands? Those springs should go in without a spring compressor!
I added 2 jack stands, one at each side of the frame.

They are not 6 ton jack stands, but I added blocks of wood below them, so they were high enough.

Axle wasn't making contact with the floor or anything

I added 2 jack stands, one at each side of the frame.

They are not 6 ton jack stands, but I added blocks of wood below them, so they were high enough.

Axle wasn't making contact with the floor or anything
How about the driveshaft. Was it disconnected?

Reactions: JMT
The only additional steps I added to what you've shown is jacking up the opposite side of the axle and then I stepped down on the side I was working on to get the springs in... That was with 4" springs