Installing RW8CA flat sub behind stereo head unit and blower controls

garet f

Has anyone every thought or measured the room behind the stereo in the dash?. I was thinking I could install a Sub in the front which would sound really good... wondering if you guys think there would be enough room?.. The sub is 2.7" thick and 11" width

Has anyone every thought or measured the room behind the stereo in the dash?. I was thinking I could install a Sub in the front which would sound really good... wondering if you guys think there would be enough room?.. The sub is 2.7" thick and 11" width
I like your out of the box thinking. I just don't believe there is enough room. I'd love for you to prove me wrong though. The thing with TJ's, is that many things that don't seem that big, still don't fit anywhere.

I run a 6.5" sub in a PVC enclosure in the passenger side foot well. I looked for hours trying to come up with a viable solution that would also perform ok and this was the best idea I had, while still performing well.

I take my back seat out often, so that wasn't an option. When I have it out, max rear storage is what I want, so a behind the seat one wasn't an option. If I hadn't used what I use, I'd probably use a self powered one mounted to the tail gate.

Does the sub come with an enclosure?

You might be able to fit the speaker itself in there, but the enclosure the sub goes in is far more important than the speaker itself. Running a sub in “infinite baffle” is a very difficult thing to get right, and generally won’t have nearly the same volume and sound quality as a properly designed enclosure. For an 8” sub, you probably want at least half a cubic foot of space in the enclosure (sealed) or more (if ported). The OE sub enclosure I estimate is around .6 cubic feet for a 6.75” sub.

If you can build a box that big that will fit back there, then it might work. You might also consider the space under the dash above the gas/brake/clutch pedals on the firewall. There’s a good amount of space back there, but it will need to be extra secure for safety reasons. Also consider an under the seat enclosure. You probably could fit a 10” sub with 3/4 cubic feet of space or more under each seat.

You might be able to fit it under the steering column. I mounted a small amp there using a small piece of plywood and 2 "L" brackets to support the amp.

Any pictures of that instal?
I’d have to take the dash apart.
If you take the trim off and remove the instrument cluster, there’s a metal bracket on the firewall that I drilled into and mounted the amp flush on.

If you were to have X-ray vision, it’s pretty much perfect centered behind the instrument cluster, if you were looking at the cluster from the drivers seat. There’s not much clearance between the amp and instrument cluster.

Not my picture, but it’s mounted to the big bracket at the upper left corner of the yellow rectangle:

20A0E2A7-9B1E-46CD-9C87-8ADE3B612F82.jpeg

To the right of the gas pedal there’s some empty space up there that could be used to hide a small sub box. Stick your head where the pedals are and just look up inside the dash and you’ll see a lot of empty space.

Last edited:
Thanks.
What amp did you put there, and how much extra space was there?

Trying to find a spot high up to put a decent 5ch amp.
I have a clutch in that area of dead space. I plan on repurposing the rear pods for sub duty.

Lots of issues can be solved with good speakers and more power...

So the amplifier is immediately behind the instrument cluster. I'd have to remove the instrument cluster to take a picture of it. Probably centered right over the odometer.
15548459520467864732009035988918.jpg

The space I was thinking of is more above the gas pedal than I remembered but could fit a small sub.
20190409_174147.jpg

20190409_174139.jpg

You'd have to get creative with the box shape and how it's mounted.

Personally if I wanted more bass, I would build a pair of boxes that would fit under the driver's and passenger's seats

That's a pretty decent location. Mine is below the steering column. I'm running a different front amp, but this is still installed.

IMG_1534.JPG

IMG_1540.JPG