Insurance Question to the Community

My wife is an adjuster for Farmers. If you only carry liability your making a mistake. If its word vs word and The person that hit you insurance carrier decides to make you partially responsible for the accident your carrier isnt going to fight for you and your basically stuck with what they decide. Some states Uninsured Motorist only covers medical not property. So unless you have the cash to replace your jeep sitting in the bank and your okay writing off the entire value of your jeep you need to have full coverage.

My wife is an adjuster for Farmers. If you only carry liability your making a mistake. If its word vs word and The person that hit you insurance carrier decides to make you partially responsible for the accident your carrier isnt going to fight for you and your basically stuck with what they decide. Some states Uninsured Motorist only covers medical not property. So unless you have the cash to replace your jeep sitting in the bank and your okay writing off the entire value of your jeep you need to have full coverage.
That's just the point: what I will pay in full coverage is more than it's worth over about a 30 month period and now I need to decide how I will approach it. It's not just my TJ either-also need to decide on my daily driven (by me) 1985 BMW e28. For that car, they are almost telling me that they will total it regardless of damage severity in the event of any accident/incident.

Decisions decisions decisions.

So my insurance agent is advising that I move from full coverage to liability-only coverage due to the policy cost difference, age of the Jeep, and potential for write-off vs value of the actual Jeep. Over the next 36 months, the policy cost savings if I change are significant compared to the value of my TJ.

So for all of you out there with multiple costly mods and other considerations that take money, how do you insure your vehicle? How do you determine value? Are you using traditional insurance companies and coverage, or is there something else out there? Any advice or suggestions?
I have liability only. My TJ is mostly stock.

Reactions: Blondie70
Choice under uncertainty is something humans are terrible at. If it only takes 2.5 years for the extra coverage to cover the cost of the Jeep, I personally wouldn't run it, but I'm not as risk averse as other people.

That's just the point: what I will pay in full coverage is more than it's worth over about a 30 month period and now I need to decide how I will approach it. It's not just my TJ either-also need to decide on my daily driven (by me) 1985 BMW e28. For that car, they are almost telling me that they will total it regardless of damage severity in the event of any accident/incident.

Decisions decisions decisions.

I know that Jeep prices are all over the place depending on where you live but you must be at the bottom out there in Virginia. Here in Oklahoma TJ prices just keep going up so my situation isnt that same as yours.

Also if you have full coverage and arent at fault in a wreck you can still use your policy for repairs and let them fight with the other carrier for you with out having to mess with it yourself. After hearing the horror stories my wife deals with on a daily basis thats exactly how I will handle any accident Im ever involved in. I know the coverage I have through USAA is good and they will take care of me. They can mess with the other carrier.

Reactions: sahara2000
I have 9 cars on my policies, all with collision. At least here in NY the difference was not that much. I do have 3 cars on a "collector car" policy with agreed value. I can tell you when I ramed my Triumph TR6 into another of my own vehicles they paid out almost 3 times what I got it fixed for. I just moved the TJ off my regular policy into the cc one and the cost was around $220 a year and can drive at 5000 miles per year. I set an agreed value of $14K...I want enough to get a rubicon if mine is wrecked.

Getting rid of comprehensive/collision would not save me much so I have kept it.

My 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon is cheaper to insure than my 2011 Dodge Dakota. Figure that out.

Getting rid of comprehensive/collision would not save me much so I have kept it.

My 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon is cheaper to insure than my 2011 Dodge Dakota. Figure that out.
Try to noodle this... My 2020 Gladiator is 2/3 the cost to insure as my 2017 GMC Canyon 2wd was... and the Canyon was $15k less than the Gladiator...

Your personal financial situation factors in as well. The $4k - $5k I'd lose if the Jeep got totaled would hurt a little when I went to replace it, but it isn't make or break for me. I'll take the risk of that loss in order to avoid paying for full coverage. Over the past 10 years, the savings for not paying for full coverage have easily overcome the value of the Jeep, so I've already come out ahead.

For example, I can see an 18 year old kid wanting full coverage on his $5k jeep since that $5k might be most of his net worth. But someone with more money would rather take the risk to avoid paying $5k over the course of the next couple years.

The last time I looked at Hagerty's, it was stated up front that it was for "limited mileage", driven to shows/event, etc, etc ONLY. Has that changed? My DD will be 36 years old in a couple of months, and I have it insured by a "main line" insurance company (State Farm). I had to fight with them for 5 weeks when somebody T-boned me in 2011. I told them up front that I wasn't interested in ripping them off, I didn't want one dime more than it took to fix my car - but I wanted it FIXED. They, of course, wanted to total it for money that I could NOT replace it with like and like condition. It wasn't easy, but I eventually prevailed and they fixed my car. I added $2,200 of my own money to it to get a complete repaint. As far as I'm concerned, the car was fine when before their client hit it, they need to fix it, I don't give a damn what they think its "worth".

One part was sorta funny, at one point the gal on the phone said "But its a 25 year old car with a quarter of a million miles on it!" - to which I replied: "That's correct - and if things go like the usually go for this model, I won't need to pull the head for another 100 to 150 thousand miles. That's 10 to 15 years." She asked me how long I'd owned the car, "11 years, I bought it in Y2K with 163,500 miles on it". It got REAL quiet on the other end of the line... "Oh, most people don't even keep a new car that long!". I told her that hopefully, my daughter would drive it home from my funeral - "NEVER try to outcheap the owner of an old Mercedes Diesel. We run them because over time they're the cheapest possible choice!"

The body shop guy and I were discussing the insurance company's love for totaling vehicles - he said he had an older Volvo come in with $1,800 worth of damage, and State Farm "totaled" it for $3,600. If that story is true, with stupidity like that, no wonder our rates are so high...

American Collector car is who I have for my 74 Triumph TR6, 81 Corvette and 05 TJ. Their only requirements are that it is garaged and used for "simple pleasure driving" up to 5,000 miles per year. For all 3 cars it comes out to $530/year for full coverage.

Reactions: Blondie70
The last time I looked at Hagerty's, it was stated up front that it was for "limited mileage", driven to shows/event, etc, etc ONLY. Has that changed?

I had them 10 years ago with the TA, but yep. They asked about the value, I said $15k, they said ok, here's your policy... very simple. I can confirm with my cubicle neighbor when he gets back, I just got him sold on Hagerty a couple months ago on his '66 t bird landau...

How much less are you all paying for liability vs full coverage where it makes a meaningful difference in being able to bank the differential? I pay $40/month for full coverage with $0 comp deductible and $250 collision deductible.

Look into stated value insurance. I was paying $200 a year for stated value on a 1985 Trans Am through Hagerty. Value was $15k. They will fight to make sure the correct parts are used for repairs, had unlimited mileage, and relaxed garage requirements.
How did you get Hagerty to insure you? I was trying to get a quote and they said I don't qualify for my Jeep... and I found this note:

Vehicles that may not qualify​

Because we provide low-cost, Guaranteed Value® coverage, we are not able to provide coverage for certain vehicles due to how they are used and the increased risk associated.

• Off-road or recreational vehicles

Reactions: Blondie70 and 5632
Choice under uncertainty is something humans are terrible at. If it only takes 2.5 years for the extra coverage to cover the cost of the Jeep, I personally wouldn't run it, but I'm not as risk averse as other people.
That’s interesting. It’s $180 a year difference between full coverage and liability for a Jeep that travels less than 2,000 miles a year.

Your personal financial situation factors in as well. The $4k - $5k I'd lose if the Jeep got totaled would hurt a little when I went to replace it, but it isn't make or break for me. I'll take the risk of that loss in order to avoid paying for full coverage. Over the past 10 years, the savings for not paying for full coverage have easily overcome the value of the Jeep, so I've already come out ahead.

For example, I can see an 18 year old kid wanting full coverage on his $5k jeep since that $5k might be most of his net worth. But someone with more money would rather take the risk to avoid paying $5k over the course of the next couple years.
Where in the he’ll do you find a TJ for $5K? Maybe you can buy a semi rusty tub for $5L