Intermittent Headlights

Root Down

Howdy! I got my TJ about a month ago and am new to the Jeep community. I'll have a lot to discuss but for now I'll keep it to one issue. When I turn on my headlights they may or may not turn on. When they're on they may turn off while I'm driving, especially off road in really bumpy conditions. If I play with the brights sometimes I can get the dim lights to come on. In my mind this could be the switch, an issue somewhere in the wiring, or the headlights themselves. I hate to start throwing parts at it. I intend to get new LED headlights no matter what but don't want to put them in just to have the same problem. I've got a bad feeling it's the switch but figured I'd get opinions first.

Thanks!

That sounds like something is loose. Start with the simple stuff. Trace the wires and make sure everything is tight and clean. Then move on to testing things with a meter.

What year is the jeep in question?

Sorry bout that '98, SE. Picture attached before anyone asks!

Jeep TJ at the Bay.jpg

My 04 does something like this with one light. It comes on, maybe at 30% brightness then at some point becomes full brightness. I have not tacked down where the problem is yet. Does not feel like the switch. But as others have said here, check if something else is loose. I'll let you know when I find the problem.

Are they after market, possibly LED headlights? I bought some Pro Comp LED headlights that did something similar & I took them back to the 4 Wheel Parts store where I bought them thinking there was a problem with my Jeep. It turns out that there was a problem with some of their lights so they replaced them for me free of charge.

Are they after market, possibly LED headlights? I bought some Pro Comp LED headlights that did something similar & I took them back to the 4 Wheel Parts store where I bought them thinking there was a problem with my Jeep. It turns out that there was a problem with some of their lights so they replaced them for me free of charge.

He said he was installing LED lights in the future

My 04 does something like this with one light. It comes on, maybe at 30% brightness then at some point becomes full brightness. I have not tacked down where the problem is yet. Does not feel like the switch. But as others have said here, check if something else is loose. I'll let you know when I find the problem.
Which headlight is at 30% brightness? If just one is dim the headlight switch is not at fault.

it's my driver side..
Ok the passenger side bulb connector gets its power from the driver's side connector, odds are very good it's just a dirty or corroded driver's side headlight connector. Unplug the driver's side connector for the headlight and reseat it a couple times which should clean up the connection.

Take a look at the wiring at the plug too and make sure it's not corroding and breaking wire strands where they are crimped at the connect.

Does 98 also have the plunger switch? If so I'd also say switch, just had to replace mine for this exact reason.

I second this. My 97 had the same issues. Replaced the plunger switch. All better.