Internal frame treatment after frame caps installed

Rcroane

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
For those of you who have repaired the center section of your frame with Safe T Cap or Pocono parts, how did you access the inside of the frame to prevent future rust? I plan to use Eastwood's internal coating, but there are no access holes on the side of the frame after it is capped. I can go in through the two drain holes on the bottom, but I don't think that will reach the center of the frame. Thanks.

For those of you who have repaired the center section of your frame with Safe T Cap or Pocono parts, how did you access the inside of the frame to prevent future rust? I plan to use Eastwood's internal coating, but there are no access holes on the side of the frame after it is capped. I can go in through the two drain holes on the bottom, but I don't think that will reach the center of the frame. Thanks.

Havent done that repair but generally you would want to coat the parts before they are installed

Havent done that repair but generally you would want to coat the parts before they are installed

I'm not a welder, but my understanding is that if the parts are painted/treated beforehand, the welding process would melt it off.

Get it hot dip galvanized.....

images.jpeg

After posting my question, I watched a video from a shop that does a lot of Safe T Cap repairs. He recommends painting the inside of the components with Rustoleum Self Etching primer before welding. If I do that, my plan would then be to use Eastwood's internal frame coating after assembly and a good primer and chassis paint on the outside.

self-etching-primer

Reactions: TheBoogieman

When i did collision repair i used weldthru primer on almost all panels that got welded in.its designed for the heat.for clean metal it would be good.etchprime gets sprayed on clean bare steel as an adhesion coat,not rusty dirty steel or anything the weld heat will reach.Inside of a rusty frame after welding I'd probably use some kind of rust converter magic like por15 and sealer/frame paint.then a prevention liquid like fluid film,getting creative with copper tubing and some kind of circular pattern nozzle so you can reach the whole frame interior.

To get it to last though I'd seriously consider an acid and galvy dip. Put on a fiberglass body and you'd have a salt belt winter rig!

Last edited:
Reactions: steelhd and Rcroane
Might be a good idea to topcoat after the primer. That primer is porous and soaks up water like a sponge. A rustoleum topcoat over the primer would seal out the water.

Just try to do a good a job as you reasonably can and remember it's not going to be perfect. Even if it burns off near the weld, at least the other 90% is protected. Can still do whatever frame coating after all that.

Reactions: Rcroane
Update....frame repair completed. The shop I used is a Safe T Cap approved installer and they did a fantastic job. They use 3M rubberized undercoating both inside and out. I need to try to take a look inside the frame to see how much of the product burned off during the welding process. I'm trying to decide whether to apply some Eastwood coating or Fluid Film to protect any burned off areas. Not sure if the Eastwood product will adhere to the undercoating....I need to call and ask. I'm leaning towards Fluid Film.

My daughter's Jeep was repaired by Safe-T-Cap themselves in RI back in 2019. They put on a rubberized undercoating as well. I wasn't too happy about that. I would have rather had some primer and paint. The first thing I did when I got it home was drill 3/4" diameter holes in the bottom section and then applied Fluid Film inside. I've done that each season since. She lives up near Boston (Gloucester to be exact) so there is a lot of salt on the roads and in the air. I make sure it gets done every year. Seems to be doing well so far.

If I were to do over again, I would have Mor-Fab do the work. I've seen his YouTube videos and he does a superb job. Plus, he would have been a lot closer for me to drop it off.

I made my own safety caps.I sprayed with weld proof primer before welding.I also put 2 3/4" holes in the bottom.I then sprayed inside with eastwood internal spray coating.After a few days to dry I sprayed fluid film through the holes.Also were my skid plate bolts go I put washers to space it from the frame 1/8". Then I put 2 3/8" holes on each side between the skid plate mounts .It will drain properly now. It has been 5 years now and I spray fluid film every year.

Reactions: Andy-WhiteTJ
Update....frame repair completed. The shop I used is a Safe T Cap approved installer and they did a fantastic job. They use 3M rubberized undercoating both inside and out. I need to try to take a look inside the frame to see how much of the product burned off during the welding process. I'm trying to decide whether to apply some Eastwood coating or Fluid Film to protect any burned off areas. Not sure if the Eastwood product will adhere to the undercoating....I need to call and ask. I'm leaning towards Fluid Film.
IMO rubberized undercoating isn't indicative of a fantastic job. Moisture can eventually get underneath the stuff and there will be no way for you to see the frame rot happening. Personally Id start using a Fluid Film type product and keep using it. But maybe they know better than I do so your mileage may vary etc etc.

Reactions: Shank
IMO rubberized undercoating isn't indicative of a fantastic job. Moisture can eventually get underneath the stuff and there will be no way for you to see the frame rot happening. Personally Id start using a Fluid Film type product and keep using it. But maybe they know better than I do so your mileage may vary etc etc.

Understood. The "fantastic" comment was really directed to the welding. I've already applied Surface Shield to the inside of the frame and will continue to do so every year.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I've also reached out to Auto Rust to see what they think of using the 3M product. I'll report back with their response.

I've also reached out to Auto Rust to see what they think of using the 3M product. I'll report back with their response.

They'll probably say it's fine since that is what they did to my daughter's Jeep when I brought it to them directly in RI. Like I said above, I would rather they had painted it so that I could see when rust is present. I would have (and do) spray it with Fluid Film anyway.

They'll probably say it's fine since that is what they did to my daughter's Jeep when I brought it to them directly in RI. Like I said above, I would rather they had painted it so that I could see when rust is present. I would have (and do) spray it with Fluid Film anyway.

Thanks. Interesting that they used it.

Auto Rust's response.........not exactly what I thought I would hear, since it's what they have used in their own shop. :rolleyes: I specifically asked them about trapping moisture.

“ It’s okay, it would only trap moisture when applied to the inside of frame without drain holes. As long as the drain holes are un obstructed it will be fine”.

• Face Palm
Reactions: Andy-WhiteTJ