Interview with Mr. Blaine on Jeep Talk Show podcast

His comment(s) about flushing and replacing brake fluid every 2 years I had to laugh, Ive done it probably every year not because of routine maintenance but because of leaks, cylinders, brake upgrades, axle swaps, etc...It was a good discussion, I learned a lot.

Reactions: IPerkWVU
I listened at jeeptalkshow.com

He spoke about a 10% discount on his website but I couldnt understand it.

I'm fairly astounded to see anyone mention it. I fully expected it to go like other things where nothing is ever said.
The brake fluid flushing is the bane of my existence. I get into terrible discussions about it where folks insist that because they don't have to do it to other vehicles, the TJ is no different. Fortunately all the warnings we put on stuff now has slowed it down from a 2-3 times a week call or email to now 1 or 2 times every couple months.

Good interview. Good knowledge. TJ is an interesting rig, sounds a little inconsistent and frustrating in some departments, but thanks for directing me to the interview @tworley and thanks for taking the time to shed some light @mrblaine. Now to go flush my brake fluid.

Reactions: StG58 and XISophos
I flushed mine last week when I replaced rotors and pads. With the TJ, there's definitely a certain feel that my brake pedal gets when the a fluid flush is imminently needed. My assumption has always been that as impurities present themselves in your fluid over time, it changes the hydraulic pressure properties, and thus things start to get spongy feeling. Is that a correct assumption?

Edit

Thanks for the heads-up on the podcast @mde8965! I'm d'ling it now!

Last edited:
Reactions: mde8965
Good job, Sir (MrBlaine). With ALL due respect; After years of seeing your extremely knowledgable, but somewhat condescending final comment posts on the forums. I have a NEW level of respect for you, Sir.
I just might be buying some Black Magic brakes soon.
Personally, I'm NOT a malleable aluminum skid guy, so Savvys claim to fame is a no go for me. But Currie is awesome anyday.
But I'm an opinionated older SOB guy like you.
God Bless. You did excellent.

L
I listened at jeeptalkshow.com

He spoke about a 10% discount on his website but I couldnt understand it.
Just tried going there, but it won't load for me.

Good job, Sir (MrBlaine). With ALL due respect; After years of seeing your extremely knowledgable, but somewhat condescending final comment posts on the forums. I have a NEW level of respect for you, Sir.

I thank you and offer up a bit of something from my study of humans. Arrogance and associated condescension is generally perceived as such by those that are wrong, not always but with enough frequency to warrant the rule to which there are as always, exceptions.

Personally, I'm NOT a malleable aluminum skid guy, so Savvys claim to fame is a no go for me. But Currie is awesome anyday.
But I'm an opinionated older SOB guy like you.
God Bless. You did excellent.

The fact that you used the word "malleable" means that like most anti aluminum folks, you don't fully understand what it can do and why it is a great choice that typically defies our preconceived notions and ideas of what we think about aluminum.

If malleable were the key property of aluminum alloys used for skids (definition-(of a metal or other material) able to be hammered or pressed permanently out of shape without breaking or cracking.) it would not be desirable for such applications. In fact, great care has to be taken when working with the aluminum for skid and bumpers due to the ease in which it will break when forming it due to its resistance to being formed.

And then there is the obvious, if it was a failure prone application of materials, the internet would waste nary a second attempting the shove the failures down our throats in every aluminum discussion.

And then there is the obvious, if it was a failure prone application of materials, the internet would waste nary a second attempting the shove the failures down our throats in every aluminum discussion.

That’s all that really needs to be said.

People will write a shitty review on a $3 cable on amazon when it’s garbage.

Do we really think they’d shy away from lambasting a multi-hundred dollar item?

I’ve seen nothing but glowing reviews.

One of these days when the kids stop siphoning my Jeep fund in other direction, aluminum armor is on the list.

That’s all that really needs to be said.

People will write a shitty review on a $3 cable on amazon when it’s garbage.

Do we really think they’d shy away from lambasting a multi-hundred dollar item?

I’ve seen nothing but glowing reviews.

One of these days when the kids stop siphoning my Jeep fund in other direction, aluminum armor is on the list.
It may be all for some but I really enjoy educating folks on how stuff works.

It may be all for some but I really enjoy educating folks on how stuff works.
If we all do what we love to do we will make a contribution to people’s lives and the naysayers can kiss off. That’s the way I see it.

I thank you and offer up a bit of something from my study of humans. Arrogance and associated condescension is generally perceived as such by those that are wrong, not always but with enough frequency to warrant the rule to which there are as always, exceptions.

The fact that you used the word "malleable" means that like most anti aluminum folks, you don't fully understand what it can do and why it is a great choice that typically defies our preconceived notions and ideas of what we think about aluminum.

If malleable were the key property of aluminum alloys used for skids (definition-(of a metal or other material) able to be hammered or pressed permanently out of shape without breaking or cracking.) it would not be desirable for such applications. In fact, great care has to be taken when working with the aluminum for skid and bumpers due to the ease in which it will break when forming it due to its resistance to being formed.

Oh Geez. I shouldn't have mentioned Savvy. Abrasiveness aside...
I was actually trying to say that although we disagree on many points from time to time. Whether verbalized or just while I'm lurking on a forum....
I do have great respect for your knowledge in the Jeep world. And to comment that you did a great interview.
I'm sorry for being abrasive.

Oh Geez. I shouldn't have mentioned Savvy. Abrasiveness aside...
I was actually trying to say that although we disagree on many points from time to time. Whether verbalized or just while I'm lurking on a forum....
I do have great respect for your knowledge in the Jeep world. And to comment that you did a great interview.
I'm sorry for being abrasive.
I didn't think you were abrasive, had you been, no worries since I use aluminum armor. ;)