Interview with Mr. Blaine on Jeep Talk Show podcast

I've done the "skip reading the poster name" thing from time to time, myself - mostly when I'm catching up on a long thread - and it works pretty well. I still misinterpret and misunderstand people here and there, but I honestly have far more problems in the reverse situation: at times, people react both strongly and offensively to the things I say, and they get antagonistic in short order. Then again, a lot of those people have the history of contentiousness and belligerence you mentioned.
I can almost always count on being offended by most of your drivel.
In fact, if I am having a particularly joyous day, I seek out your posts and read them to bring me back down to my normal grumpy self.

I can almost always count on being offended by most of your drivel.
In fact, if I am having a particularly joyous day, I seek out your posts and read them to bring me back down to my normal grumpy self.

Well fuck, that means you took the time to remember my screen name. Now I have conclusive proof that I really do stand out from all of the rest of the know-nothing assholes on the Internet.

• Haha
Reactions: FireJeep
Well fuck, that means you took the time to remember my screen name. Now I have conclusive proof that I really do stand out from all of the rest of the know-nothing assholes on the Internet.
Well, it did take a few years and several phone conversations before I noticed, so there is that. However, we should probably let folks know that we do in fact chat a fair bit and have "known" each other a very long time so no one with a broken sarcasm detector actually thinks we are serious.

Wait...you weren't being serious? Damn it, I was all set to make "Drivel-Posting Grumpifier" into my custom user title...

😚

But yeah...to all those that don't/can't/won't understand: Blaine and I do chat a fair bit, as he mentioned...and it's always both enjoyable and informative. There's also an occasional rant by one or the other of us, often a bit of venting, plenty of Q-and-A, and every once in awhile there's an anecdote that draws a moment of silence before I say "You have to be fucking kidding me." Sometimes I even get out of my own way long enough to learn something. And that brings me around to the point of this little derail: it's a lot easier to understand someone when you've spent a few minutes getting to know them, ideally with your own ego out of the way at the time.

Wait...you weren't being serious? Damn it, I was all set to make "Drivel-Posting Grumpifier" into my custom user title...

😚

But yeah...to all those that don't/can't/won't understand: Blaine and I do chat a fair bit, as he mentioned...and it's always both enjoyable and informative. There's also an occasional rant by one or the other of us, often a bit of venting, plenty of Q-and-A, and every once in awhile there's an anecdote that draws a moment of silence before I say "You have to be fucking kidding me." Sometimes I even get out of my own way long enough to learn something. And that brings me around to the point of this little derail: it's a lot easier to understand someone when you've spent a few minutes getting to know them, ideally with your own ego out of the way at the time.
Since I have your attention for a moment, a question that I can't get my head around.

There are quite a few folks who expound the theory that in a multi connected set of batteries in series, or series parallel like doubles or quads in an RV being fed by a solar array that the batteries furthest from the input side receive lower current than the ones first in line. Assuming all parts are in good working condition, I can NOT see how that is possible since they are trying to violate the very definition of the word battery. Not at the micro millivolt level, but enough to warrant an entirely different wiring schematic.

Since I have your attention for a moment, a question that I can't get my head around.

There are quite a few folks who expound the theory that in a multi connected set of batteries in series, or series parallel like doubles or quads in an RV being fed by a solar array that the batteries furthest from the input side receive lower current than the ones first in line. Assuming all parts are in good working condition, I can NOT see how that is possible since they are trying to violate the very definition of the word battery. Not at the micro millivolt level, but enough to warrant an entirely different wiring schematic.

Don't try to wrap your head around that; you're just going to end up with a headache.

There is no "closest to the input" in a series circuit; there is only one electron path, and the current is equal across all of the cells. One way in, one way out; that's the only way the current can flow. Sure, you can have voltage drops and resistance and all kinds of other sciency stuff going on inside/between cells, but there's still only one path for the current to flow, so all of the cells must see the same current.

Next time someone suggests a "farthest away from the input" problem, reverse the idea and ask them if the battery closest to the "output" of their flashlight is the battery that dies first.

I do need to clarify that I do not run a shop. I am not open to the public. I help folks solve problems and I pick and choose who I do that for. I have a very select clientele
Well to me, an entrepreneur who answers the phone from every potential sale. I am envious, this is where we all want to be. A clientelle who value our services so much that we can can concentrate on their needs. Few of us ever get to that point. And still be open to comment on an open forum. Without a doubt, Mr Blaine and I focus on different wheelers. But I very much value his practical experience at a level I have retired from.

On a forum like this there is a need for many levels of input. From the practical experience of jerry, to the engineering experience of Mr Blaine to the Sgt, the 4 squirrels guy to the $$$$$ Chris guy, who just loves playing with TJs and started this forum. I mention only a few, many thanks to every other member, but especially thank you to those who disagree with what I say. Those conflicting inputs grow my mind.

Flat out, I just love driving my TJR off road. I love dropping off the highway shoulder and finding a way down to the beach .... often to camp overnite ... and I love conversations on this forum to learn how to do it better.

Camping on a beach.... that is my Jeep dream.

In 1964, they biult a dam on the Columbia River... they built several but here I am parked on the paved highway which has been flooded every summer, exposed every spring for the past 65 years. Those blocks are pieces of pavement broken up over the years. This is why I love my TJR.

Flat out, I just love driving my TJR off road. I love dropping off the highway shoulder and finding a way down to the beach .... often to camp overnite ... and I love conversations on this forum to learn how to do it better.

Thank you for the reminder of a test we do for checking shocks. I live in a rural area with asphalt roads that have no shoulder. They go from pavement to dirt with ruts, bumps, berms, driveway irregularities and what not. We get up to about 55-60 mph and then hang the right side over in the dirt. With a surprising consistency, you can almost tell you are not all 4 on pavement. And surprisingly while digging around I found a pic that is of the actual road we do this on. The only part we avoid is that big dip, but the rest pretty much disappears to the felt side of things while driving.

Like you, I enjoy opposing points of view because they force me to examine my knowledge and keep an open mind about ways to do things.

@mrblaine we don't say it enough, but it's absolutely wonderful to have you participate and share your knowledge and wisdom on this forum. Thank you for all that you do.

You remind me of my PhD advisor in many ways. He used to tell me "the more you know, the more you realize you don't". The one thing that really stands out in all that I've read of your writings is how much open you are to learn new things even given the experience and knowledge you have on Jeeps. You are not afraid to speak your mind and you communicate very clearly, directly and precisely just like my advisor. I love that. To some who don't understand how you write, it may seem rude but to those of us who do understand, it's a pleasure reading your posts.

I'm sorry to hear about the troubles with family. We are all imperfect, some more than others. Sometimes family is more of a burden than support. I hope you don't take it too hard.

PS: I enjoyed listening to your interview. Learned a couple new things as well.

Well to me, an entrepreneur who answers the phone from every potential sale. I am envious, this is where we all want to be. A clientelle who value our services so much that we can can concentrate on their needs. Few of us ever get to that point. And still be open to comment on an open forum. Without a doubt, Mr Blaine and I focus on different wheelers. But I very much value his practical experience at a level I have retired from.

On a forum like this there is a need for many levels of input. From the practical experience of jerry, to the engineering experience of Mr Blaine to the Sgt, the 4 squirrels guy to the $$$$$ Chris guy, who just loves playing with TJs and started this forum. I mention only a few, many thanks to every other member, but especially thank you to those who disagree with what I say. Those conflicting inputs grow my mind.

Camping on a beach.... that is my Jeep dream.

In 1964, they biult a dam on the Columbia River... they built several but here I am parked on the paved highway which has been flooded every summer, exposed every spring for the past 65 years. Those blocks are pieces of pavement broken up over the years. This is why I love my TJR.

View attachment 77554

That's a great photo @billiebob. You should submit to the monthly contest!

Since we are sharing and all, and I'm in a frank mood due to yesterday's circumstances, I'll share a tiny bit that most don't know.

Yesterday was a very sad day but not in the traditional sense, but in the sadness that is a life wasted and the fervent wish and desire of alternate paths and outcomes. You see, I got a phone call yesterday afternoon from my recently deceased sister's husband. He related that he had just received a phone call from the Sheriff in Roswell letting him know that the body of my brother had just been found. The only info available is just that. Nothing more, not one iota more.

The sadness over the death of my estranged brother is that I've only missed a few things in my life that I would really like to have been very different. Having a brother who actually acted like one is near the top of that list. I'm sad that never happened, I'm sad that he chose a path that put him in prison for 25 years, I'm sad that he got out 5 years ago and never saw fit to call me or let me know in any manner. I'd sad that he spent the last 5 years blaming others for his problems and expecting them to provide solutions for them instead of taking the initiative to fix himself.

My only sadness over his actual death is it removes the tiny little flame of hope that could perhaps be fanned into an actual relationship at some level. I'm not sad that he is dead and expectedly so, he has been homeless, drug and alcohol addicted with no interest in anything but where the next fix could be gotten and he was beyond cruel to my father on his deathbed 2 years ago so this was inevitable in all aspects.

To put the rest of that into perspective requires but a single sentence. The second of my remaining two estranged sisters is squatting in my deceased father's home and I no longer get notices from the court over her challenge to the probate since I declined any of the inheritance and agreed with his wishes to deny her any thing of value.

Blaine, you're part of our family.

Don't try to wrap your head around that; you're just going to end up with a headache.

There is no "closest to the input" in a series circuit; there is only one electron path, and the current is equal across all of the cells. One way in, one way out; that's the only way the current can flow. Sure, you can have voltage drops and resistance and all kinds of other sciency stuff going on inside/between cells, but there's still only one path for the current to flow, so all of the cells must see the same current.

Next time someone suggests a "farthest away from the input" problem, reverse the idea and ask them if the battery closest to the "output" of their flashlight is the battery that dies first.
I don't disagree and due to all of the multi battery systems I've been around I could not come up with any way to justify that logic. I explained the very common thing we see when two batteries are combined where they equalize to the exact same voltage which is why we need to buy and install as close to the same type and age when we combine.

My point I tried to make over and over was what a battery is and why connecting multiples is only producing one battery since a battery is the grouping of two or more cells. I told them that what they are trying to say or prove is the same as proving that there is a lesser voltage in the middle two cells than the ones connected directly to the terminals and while that may be true at some miniscule inconsequential level, it is not true enough to matter. Since we are just connecting more of the same in a series, series/parallel, or parallel circuit, the same rules apply and the equalization of all to a common level can't be violated or detected.

If you haven't flushed brake fluid in a long time and depending on your climate you may need to flush a few large bottles through it:

6929-bleed-brakes.jpg

I flushed mine a few years ago after installing the BBK, and that is about what my brake fluid looked like. Took a while too because I was solo and gravity bled it.

That was a very informative podcast. Thanks for taking the time to do it. I need to change brake fluid on both my TJ and my Forester. I guess I know what I'm doing next weekend.

I don't disagree and due to all of the multi battery systems I've been around I could not come up with any way to justify that logic. I explained the very common thing we see when two batteries are combined where they equalize to the exact same voltage which is why we need to buy and install as close to the same type and age when we combine.

My point I tried to make over and over was what a battery is and why connecting multiples is only producing one battery since a battery is the grouping of two or more cells. I told them that what they are trying to say or prove is the same as proving that there is a lesser voltage in the middle two cells than the ones connected directly to the terminals and while that may be true at some miniscule inconsequential level, it is not true enough to matter. Since we are just connecting more of the same in a series, series/parallel, or parallel circuit, the same rules apply and the equalization of all to a common level can't be violated or detected.

You're correct, but if you try to explain that to someone that doesn't possess basic electrical knowledge, you're just going to get argued-with, and not in a good way.