Is a locker in a Dana 35 a poor decision?

Robb

Some will remember a few months ago I posted that my daughters Jeep blew up it's rear end and left her stranded. I found another Dana 35 with a gear upgrade to 3.73's from the 3.07's and life continued on. Yesterday I finally scored a front Dana 30 with 3.73's and a locker so that will go in shortly and that got me researching and reading disappointing news.
I guess many Jeep folks think a locker in a 35 is a poor decision. Is that a true statement?

The daughters TJ is a daily commuter, she enjoys some trails here in CO but nothing hardcore like most of you tackle. 4.0, auto, 31x10s 2" lift, and 3.73's as soon as the front axle is in. I'd like to put a locker in the rear. Would that money be better spent on a Dana 44? So much to know, wish I'd have thought about this earlier.

And we're not building a trail rig, just a daily driver that can be trail ready. I really can't have her and a friend halfway to nowhere and have an axle snap.

Many folks think a locker in a Dana 35 with the stock axle shafts and carrier is a poor decision, which it is.

However, if you build it into a Super 35 (using Revolutions kit) and then add a locker, you can handle 35" tires without any issue at all.

See this thread here:

Should I upgrade my Dana 35 axle?

The Dana 35 is not a bad axle. It just had a bad rep on the internet because some people started rumors that simply aren't true.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Some will remember a few months ago I posted that my daughters Jeep blew up it's rear end and left her stranded. I found another Dana 35 with a gear upgrade to 3.73's from the 3.07's and life continued on. Yesterday I finally scored a front Dana 30 with 3.73's and a locker so that will go in shortly and that got me researching and reading disappointing news.
I guess many Jeep folks think a locker in a 35 is a poor decision. Is that a true statement?

The daughters TJ is a daily commuter, she enjoys some trails here in CO but nothing hardcore like most of you tackle. 4.0, auto, 31x10s 2" lift, and 3.73's as soon as the front axle is in. I'd like to put a locker in the rear. Would that money be better spent on a Dana 44? So much to know, wish I'd have thought about this earlier.

And we're not building a trail rig, just a daily driver that can be trail ready. I really can't have her and a friend halfway to nowhere and have an axle snap.
Put a front locker in the Dana 30. It is stout enough for sure. Leave the Dana 35 open. That will take her many places

Reactions: jazngab
Does your daughter have a locker in the original front axle? If not, this one is just a lucky upgrade while getting a ratio to match her rear axle.

I'm not saying to avoid the locker in the rear but the Super 35, as great as it is, isn't exactly cheap and doesn't even seem to be needed for "some trails here in CO but nothing hardcore" that she enjoys.

What kind of locker is in the Dana 30? I’m not a fan of the lunchbox lockers in the front, a selectable locker is a better choice and leave the Dana 35 open.

What kind of locker is in the Dana 30? I’m not a fan of the lunchbox lockers in the front, a selectable locker is a better choice and leave the Dana 35 open.
Depends on where you live IMHO. I love my lunchbox, but now I’ve moved to the PNW, so I either will switch it out for selectable or learn to drive with it in snow ❄ and ice.

I am confused. You found and swapped in a Dana 35 with 3.73s. Now you found a front Dana 30 with a locker but are asking about a locker in a Dana 35?

Depends on where you live IMHO. I love my lunchbox, but now I’ve moved to the PNW, so I either will switch it out for selectable or learn to drive with it in snow ❄ and ice.
You can give us an objective review this winter, also what’s in the XJ?