Is a SYE needed yet?

LHC30

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Two weeks ago I found a 2002 TJ Sport to use in AZ for Search and Rescue. This rig has a 4L, 5spd manual, Dana 44/Dana 30 with 3:73’s. Had to replace the timing gears since I was replacing the front seal and misc electrical issues but it is coming along nicely.

My big question is: since I am not likely to do the same rock crawling I do in my JK, and I don’t expect to run a lift higher than about 2 1/2” with 32’s, is it worth the money and effort to put a SYE in?

BTW, thanks to everyone who has already eloped through sharing your experiences.

Ted

Well, with a 2.5" lift you'll have to drop the transfer case possibly around an inch or so.

Since you have a 2002, it doesn't have the horrendously low hanging transfer case that the 03-06 models have. Yours still hangs low, but just not as bad.

So I would say no, you don't need a SYE. However, if you ever drag your underside on anything, then you'll quickly understand the need for a SYE and a tummy tuck at that.

Thanks Chris, with a JKUR, I know too well about dragging! Even with a 4” and 35’s. Lol.
So a tummy tuck and SYE are a good combo on a TJ.

Thanks Chris, with a JKUR, I know too well about dragging! Even with a 4” and 35’s. Lol.
So a tummy tuck and SYE are a good combo on a TJ.

Yes, a tummy tuck and SYE are a great combo on a TJ. That transfer case hangs so low from the factory that it tends to collect mud, dirt, sticks, and just about everything else when you go off-road. Of course since you're in the desert, you probably won't have to deal with mud.

Hey Ted, glad to see you on here. I dunno that with only a 2.5" lift and 32's that I'd feel the need for a SYE and its significant expense when also combined with the need for a CV driveshaft.

You'd of course experience vibrations from a 2.5" lift but you can avoid dropping the t-case skidplate by installing a pair of 1" taller motor mounts or placing 1" spacers under the factory motor mounts like Savvy Offroad makes. That gives the same effect on reducing the drivetrain angles as dropping the tcase does. You wouldn't have any vibrations after installing the motor mounts or spacers which should be good up to about a 3" suspension lift.

Hi Jerry, I was hoping you’d drop in here. Thanks for the advice. Btw, I’m likely to bring the TJ up to the March meet.

Hi Jerry, I was hoping you’d drop in here. Thanks for the advice. Btw, I’m likely to bring the TJ up to the March meet.
It'll be good to wheel with you again Ted! If you're talking about the M&G in Calico, it's been moved back to April 12-14 this year. :)

I think a MML would be your best option, but only if you get vibes after the lift. Every jeep seems different. When I installed my OME 2.5" lift I had to drop the t-case skid 0.75". I didn't opt for the MML, but had I, it probably would have quelled the vibes. Some TJ's don't need to drop the skid at all, others, a few washers to drop it a bit. It's always different with each case. If you do the MML you might also want to consider a 1" body lift for future tummy tuck clearance. By doing both at the same time you won't have to re-located the fan shroud up front.

Maybe I’ll leave it stock and save some $$. Lol

And Jerry, thanks for the date change, we still have to figure out what to do with the dog since they aren’t allowed in cabins