Is an Atlas transfer case worth it?

jkslvr

Rebuilding my transmission and my transfer case.
I am wondering if I want to put an atlas in my Jeep.
I don’t rock crawl or do anything extreme. but I do a lot of backcountry trips in CO and UT. I would not mind the lower ratio for those steep sections when the Jeep is loaded down with camping gear. and tent.
Is an atlas worth it in a mildly built Jeep? Or just rebuild the 231? maybe with some heavy duty parts?
Overall I want absolute reliability.

In my (worthless) opinion....... if you did not have issues with the transfer case you already have i would keep it.
If your 231 is not doing the job you need it to swap it for something that will do the job.

Save the money for upgrades you need to get where you want to go.

How is the existing axle gearing compared the tire size?

The Atlas 4 speed was one of the best things I’ve done to my Jeep. I love having multiple low ranges and 2 wheel drive low range is absolutely worth it. As I have low range without the need for 4wd.

3EFE7A7C-7700-480F-987D-54717E1BAB01.jpeg

I don't know what they cost, but a Rubicon 241OR would be cheaper I would think. And fitment is a breeze.
Would it be cooler to be running the Atlas? For sure. But in your (and mine) case I think it a bit of wasted money. First I would be certain your axle gearing is correct. Before the invention of super low transfer gearing, back in the days of CJs, we never knew we needed this much transfer case compound gearing.
I would try and get the Jeep lighter. Lighter tent, lighter cooler, you know, the easy solution.

Overall I want absolute reliability.
There is no such thing. We can however look at the track record of the 231 and conclude that when it comes to t-cases and their records of reliability, the Atlas will need to be around for another 30 or 40 years at the current build numbers to equate to the vast number of 231s out there. The 231 is in every TJ that doesn't have a 241, that is a staggering number, literally almost a million or so. It is in every YJ and lots of XJs.

It is a solid reliable case. It may not have all the charm and charisma of a high dollar case but the one thing that can be said about it above all else, it is reliable.

I love my Atlas, its an incredible transfer case and I love the 4.3:1 low range. With that being said unless you plan on a lot of rock crawling id stick with the 231, the 231 is a great transfer case for general use and not to mention its wayyyyy cheaper than an Atlas.

Though I’ve never had a 231, I’ve done work on a lot of them, but not usually on the same case twice, I like them, cheap to find and easy to work on.