Is Cummins R2.8 Turbo Diesel Crate Engine Plug & Play For My TJ?

Hold my beer….

🙃

Damn, Ryan - I shoulda done an LS!

I don’t recall - will you be done the LS for Moab?
I'm assuming I won't at this point due to parts availability. I still don't know when my engine will deliver but it's looking like 2022. I may have it running by Moab but I don't think I'll have enough time in to take it. Still the blue one is ready and capable.

I'm assuming I won't at this point due to parts availability. I still don't know when my engine will deliver but it's looking like 2022. I may have it running by Moab but I don't think I'll have enough time in to take it. Still the blue one is ready and capable.
someone here in FL selling a LQ4 for 1800 complete. Pretty steep, but, it's available. course, those bad boys are everywhere.

there's literally no way this swap costs 20-25k
unless you're paying a shop to do it, and the shop quotes it at the "we really don't want this project and will price it accordingly".
Crate engine $7500. They do go On sale

Axis’s 99% kit. $9000

New exhaust $300

Gauges $500-$1200

Other odds and ends.

If you can figure out a fairly cheap intercooler and radiator and the brackets, you can potentially save up to $4k. Axis uses CBR heat exchangers and they're quite pricey, but they are very nice, but a CBR radiator is $2k.

Around here I can get custom radiators for about $800, though it may have gone up now. But it's not uncommon for people I know with older tractors and equipment to go get a custom radiator and for John Deere stuff the OEM is so expensive that custom can be the go to.

If you can figure out a fairly cheap intercooler and radiator and the brackets, you can potentially save up to $4k. Axis uses CBR heat exchangers and they're quite pricey, but they are very nice, but a CBR radiator is $2k.

Around here I can get custom radiators for about $800, though it may have gone up now. But it's not uncommon for people I know with older tractors and equipment to go get a custom radiator and for John Deere stuff the OEM is so expensive that custom can be the go to.
fact.
You could even buy an intercooler core and have someone custom fab endtanks locally for relatively cheap. Maybe $500-600 for a good core. Or go ebay/amazon even cheaper or Mishimoto or someone for a generic intercooler. Mounting location not optimal? Get a cheap 12v fan for it.
for someone who wants the easiest route, of course it's going to cost a lot more when there are kits available. But it just doesn't have to be that expensive.

Reactions: BugoutJeep
fact.
You could even buy an intercooler core and have someone custom fab endtanks locally for relatively cheap. Maybe $500-600 for a good core. Or go ebay/amazon even cheaper or Mishimoto or someone for a generic intercooler. Mounting location not optimal? Get a cheap 12v fan for it.
for someone who wants the easiest route, of course it's going to cost a lot more when there are kits available. But it just doesn't have to be that expensive.
I just felt like the time I'd lose time and cash figuring out the cooling side and the brackets that I would have been better off giving them the extra cash.

I typically drove my TJ and my truck was my backup, but I was a bit nervous wasting time and piecing together and experimenting on what was typically my DD. I drive older stuff with lots of miles on them and always like to have 2 that are maintained and used fairly often and when 1 goes down I'm nervous and try to get it back up pretty quick so my spare doesn't break down. Of course now I find myself towing equipment and tractors much more often and my truck is the only option, so I'm thinking of building something and completely refreshing the drivetrain for another solid vehicle that's easy to maintain.

Reactions: chimmike
$17.5K for a turn key TDI in a TJ.

http://www.cotybuilt.com/
I thought about that route, but having a brand new Cummins with larger displacement vs a TDI. Of course I think they've adjusted their pricing some because when I was looking and adding everything up their price was almost the same just for a kit and rebuild as the Cummins swap.

There may be some extras not mentioned in the Turn-Key.

TDI is still a great option if you want to go a bit smaller and acquiring a working engine is much more approachable.

I've been wanting to do the Diesel Toys swap for my wife's Baja Tacoma.

Reactions: chimmike
I just ordered a new R2.8 from Cummins, 8499.00 plus tax and another 330.00 for the A/C compressor, but I am going to return that because with the narrow TJ frame, it looks like it won't work. Looking at the test TJ that Cummins Repower used to meet emissions with, they used a stock 4.0 radiator. I have a new 4.0 griffin aluminum radiator that should work great. I will use a universal intercooler from summit racing for less that 300.00 and an aluminum intercooler piping kit from ebay for around 100.00. A new clutch will be between 100.00 and 300.00, I just haven't decided which clutch I want at this point. The bellhousing adapter complete with drilled flywheel and motor mounts is 1500.00. I will budget another 500.00 for misc parts and I should be there. I don't need to address anything else on my Jeep because it is all sound. What I am trying to avoid is having to add gas twice a day when elk hunting and running around all day in 4 low and the 11 mpg on the highway running 35 inch MT's., especially now with gas prices over 4.00

I just ordered a new R2.8 from Cummins, 8499.00 plus tax and another 330.00 for the A/C compressor, but I am going to return that because with the narrow TJ frame, it looks like it won't work. Looking at the test TJ that Cummins Repower used to meet emissions with, they used a stock 4.0 radiator. I have a new 4.0 griffin aluminum radiator that should work great. I will use a universal intercooler from summit racing for less that 300.00 and an aluminum intercooler piping kit from ebay for around 100.00. A new clutch will be between 100.00 and 300.00, I just haven't decided which clutch I want at this point. The bellhousing adapter complete with drilled flywheel and motor mounts is 1500.00. I will budget another 500.00 for misc parts and I should be there. I don't need to address anything else on my Jeep because it is all sound. What I am trying to avoid is having to add gas twice a day when elk hunting and running around all day in 4 low and the 11 mpg on the highway running 35 inch MT's., especially now with gas prices over 4.00
Look into the oil cooler/filter housing. I believe i saw that cummins obsoleted the oil cooler they were sending with the kit and the new one would absolutely not work for a TJ. I believe Axis Industries was quick to come up with a solution.

Cool project. I hope that you do a build thread.

What would you expect your mileage to be after the swap, any idea?

Reactions: BugoutJeep
I am hoping for 20 mpg highway as a reasonable expectation and maybe as high as 25 mpg. I am really hoping off road mpg will be in the teens instead of single digits. I have a bunch of parts on order including a centerforce II clutch kit, just in case I turn up the R2.8, but I really don't want to shred the gears in the ax15 by getting carried away. Yesterday I decided to ditch the factory Jeep pcm and install digital gauges from Intellitronix as they have a kit for a Jeep TJ. I am waiting for back order to be filled on the bell housing and motor mounts from Quickdraw Brand and also for the backordered installation kit from Cummins for my engine. In the mean time I have power steering lines and fittings coming, a coolant overflow tank and a power steering reservoir. Once my engine to tranny adapter shows up I will start the tear down. My goal will be 2 weeks start to finish.

Look into the oil cooler/filter housing. I believe i saw that cummins obsoleted the oil cooler they were sending with the kit and the new one would absolutely not work for a TJ. I believe Axis Industries was quick to come up with a solution.
I have extra short oil filters on order that will keep the filter bottom at the same level as the the bottom of the oil pan, the new front cover also comes with a remote filter option that attaches to where the oil filter would screw on with an adapter.

I have extra short oil filters on order that will keep the filter bottom at the same level as the the bottom of the oil pan, the new front cover also comes with a remote filter option that attaches to where the oil filter would screw on with an adapter.
glad to hear you have some options. I was appalled when i heard they obsoleted the remote mount oil filter option.

glad to hear you have some options. I was appalled when i heard they obsoleted the remote mount oil filter option.
I am really hoping that I can stay with the spin on filter. My Jeep has a 4 inch lift, so I probably just need to make sure it can't hurt itself at full compression. I haven't spent much time looking at the remote adapter yet, but the oil lines are big and stiff and I really don't know where I would want to mount the remote filter housing.